The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Dec 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #6,736 of 7,138
If you worry about bad recordings, the LCD-X would be the one to get.  It has the least amount of lower treble of the LCD series.  The LCD-X does have more mid treble around 9-10khz compared to the LCD2 though, but that won't make modern recordings sound as bad as having a healthy amount of lower treble in the 3-7khz area.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #6,737 of 7,138
  Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I have another question regarding LCD2, HD600, and HD650. I found HD600 to be harsh and sibilant, but not much so on HD650. What are the chances that I will find LCD2 with Fazor to be sibilant? I am only 17 years old, so I am very sensitive to high frequency sound. Not to mention I listen to terribly mastered recordings. I currently have a Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies, and I was thinking of getting the HD650+ADL Silver Cables, but the posts in this thread made me think twice. I did read about the 10khz of LCD2, and I just found out through SineGen that I am indeed very sensitive in this area. So, am I one of the minority where HD650 would actually be better suited for my ears? 

I had to make a choice between HD650 and LCD-2F (I have the same issue with HF sensitivity). Both are almost equally good with badly mastered recordings, but LCD-2 is more enjoyable with wide range of music and is a better headphone overall (like HD650 on steroids). So I've sold HD650 and not looking back. I think you'll be fine with LCD-2F.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #6,738 of 7,138
  If you worry about bad recordings, the LCD-X would be the one to get.  It has the least amount of lower treble of the LCD series.  The LCD-X does have more mid treble around 9-10khz compared to the LCD2 though, but that won't make modern recordings sound as bad as having a healthy amount of lower treble in the 3-7khz area.

It's more expensive and heavier, though. I think he'll be just fine with LCD-2F.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,739 of 7,138
Why not just get an older 2? Like a Rev 1 or early 2? Check the FR graph for no 10 kHz peak on the pair you want, and pull the proverbial trigger.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #6,740 of 7,138
Why not just get an older 2? Like a Rev 1 or early 2? Check the FR graph for no 10 kHz peak on the pair you want, and pull the proverbial trigger.

I would love to get an old one without Fazor, but I want to buy a new one, not used. I already got scammed once at Head-Fi, so I learned my lesson not to buy a used headphone, regardless of who the seller is. If Audeze sold  brand new pair of LCD 2 Rev 1, then I probably wouldn't be posting in this thread to begin with. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #6,741 of 7,138
I would love to get an old one without Fazor, but I want to buy a new one, not used. I already got scammed once at Head-Fi, so I learned my lesson not to buy a used headphone, regardless of who the seller is. If Audeze sold  brand new pair of LCD 2 Rev 1, then I probably wouldn't be posting in this thread to begin with. 

Why not Rev. 2? Moon Audio still sells Rev. 2s brand new. This would be perfect for your treble sensitivity IMHO.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #6,742 of 7,138
  Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I have another question regarding LCD2, HD600, and HD650. I found HD600 to be harsh and sibilant, but not much so on HD650. What are the chances that I will find LCD2 with Fazor to be sibilant? I am only 17 years old, so I am very sensitive to high frequency sound. Not to mention I listen to terribly mastered recordings. I currently have a Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies, and I was thinking of getting the HD650+ADL Silver Cables, but the posts in this thread made me think twice. I did read about the 10khz of LCD2, and I just found out through SineGen that I am indeed very sensitive in this area. So, am I one of the minority where HD650 would actually be better suited for my ears? 

I had both the HD600 (I found a tad sibilant, but very fatiguing)
I have the LCD2F - I find a tad sibilant, but cannot say whether fatiguing - I had never used it straight up. What I do is turn down the treble and turn up the bass to neutralise the fazor.

I dare say it will be fatiguing for you. I think u and me have the same ears.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #6,743 of 7,138
Why not Rev. 2? Moon Audio still sells Rev. 2s brand new. This would be perfect for your treble sensitivity IMHO.

If you email Audeze about who has non-Fazor models in stock, they keep track of that and can tell you.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #6,747 of 7,138
LCD-3s were once regarded as 10% better than LCD-2.
He-560s are then considered as 5% better than LCD-2s.
What a calculation!
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #6,749 of 7,138
There are so many variables to define a single metric, which is better or not.
Furthermore, there is no rule to calculate them out in one metric.
In some sense it might be not possible to apply the metric, if some has, to every body.
However through big reading the related threads, one might know what is his, or her preferance. Because of human brains tend to generate one single value whatsoever. It is amazing in some times. only some times.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #6,750 of 7,138
The left driver in my LCD-2s failed today while I was adjusting my headphones.  I've had them since September 2011 and they've never given me any trouble.  I'm hoping it's just a wiring problem but that doesn't make it any better.  How good would Audeze be about repairing them, even though I purchased them more than three years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back