The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Nov 12, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #6,706 of 7,138
Thanks for your help Defiant and Jodgey!

I will try a few different sources, though I am limited.

Compared to the DT990 pro 250s, these are nowhere near as sharp and piercing. Hell, it also could be the amp?

It doesn't seem to bad on the JDS C5 but then again i don't think they're driving them properly haha.

Plan to pick up a Emotiva mini-x will try that on Fri!

I will do some more testing and reading!

Thanks for the help again mates :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #6,707 of 7,138
Thanks for your help Defiant and Jodgey!

I will try a few different sources, though I am limited.

Compared to the DT990 pro 250s, these are nowhere near as sharp and piercing. Hell, it also could be the amp?

It doesn't seem to bad on the JDS C5 but then again i don't think they're driving them properly haha.

Plan to pick up a Emotiva mini-x will try that on Fri!

I will do some more testing and reading!

Thanks for the help again mates
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a double edge sword. I had Emotiva mini-x and used it with many planars including the LCD-2. The Emotiva mini-x itself is on the bright side  by a bit. However, you'll have a lot of power so your headphones are going to be driven well. The benefit of a well driven phone is that your FR is going to be more flat with more bass and less treble than say from an iPod, O2 or anything that can't drive it well. It's a healthy relationship between LCD-2 and Mini-x. I think you'll like it.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #6,709 of 7,138
  Thanks Zoom!

I'm looking forward to it, a flatter response would be interesting, the extra bass may mask a bit of that treble!

Though I don't know if it works that way hahaha

Cheers mate!

In essence that's exactly what you'll hear, although that's not what's happening behind the scenes with regards to amp designs. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #6,711 of 7,138
Quick question, mini-x arrived. However when using it I hear a sharp click, feedback noise when occasionally. Mainly when changing sources through the PS4.

E.g. Changing from pcm to dts, etc.

Any thoughts on what it could be and if it could be damaging the headphones? Tyty

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #6,712 of 7,138
Hard to know if it's damaging, like a short busy of DC, but my guess is that it's a muting relay switching on and off between sources to prevent DC bursts from making it through to your cans. Audio-gd products always get called it for it, lol, when is a good thing.

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #6,713 of 7,138
Ahh sweet no worries haha.

Currently watching a movie and it occurs sporadically when changing scenes hard to pinpoint as when I rewind and watch the same bit it doesn't happen lol.

I'll ignore it unless it occurs more frequently.

Thank you Jodgey!

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #6,714 of 7,138
I'd like to ask about the soundstage of LCD-2 rev.2.
I love the sound of the headphone, but I hate its small/closed-in/in-the-head soundstage. This is why I am considering either replacing my LCD-2 with another headphone or upgrading/changing my DAC/amp.

Can my Schiit Bifrost/Schiit Lyr be the factors that limit soundstage of my LCD?

Will changing my DAC (Bifrost) or/and amp (Lyr) considerably improve my LCD-2's soundstage or will I be better of looking for another headphone
Maybe Hifiman HE-560? (I love the soundstage and airness of my HE-400!)

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #6,715 of 7,138
I love the sound of the headphone, but I hate its small/closed-in/in-the-head soundstage. This is why I am considering either replacing my LCD-2 with another headphone or upgrading/changing my DAC/amp.

Can my Schiit Bifrost/Schiit Lyr be the factors that limit soundstage of my LCD?

Will changing my DAC (Bifrost) or/and amp (Lyr) considerably improve my LCD-2's soundstage or will I be better of looking for another headphone

560 could do it... but upgrading to a Fazor model is probably your best bet. Gear can only do so much.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #6,716 of 7,138

I have the Lyr/Bitfrost and the Icon HP8 to pair with my LCD2.2f. I find the Lyr to be somewhat two dimensional with little depth and seems to be in your face with the LCD2's. With the HP8 there is more depth to the soundstage and and voices have more texture as well. The HP8 is more effortless and flows better even though it has less power. IMO.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #6,717 of 7,138
soundstage is awesome on HD 800

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #6,719 of 7,138
alo pan am
audio gd master 8
lake people G100
Sugden A21 SE

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #6,720 of 7,138

Change amp. Recommend the iFi micro iDSD or the nano version (if you want to try the house sound without hurting the wallet--US$200. Micro is US$500). You'll be very surprised. I own two LCD-2s. Use of Minimum Phase digital filter plus XBass turned on gets the LCD-2F's bass on par with the LCD-2 Rev. 2. Use of Minimum Phase digital filter plus 3D turned on gets the LCD-2 Rev. 2's imaging and midrange-treble resolution on par with the LCD-2F. Enjoy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back