The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #6,721 of 7,138

Heya guys, sorry, rookie here..

I would appreciate your comments on a query I had!

I find the LCD2f's I have to be a bit 'harsh' or 'sibilant'? Sorry the terminology is new to me.

Sounds such as glass breaking, cymbals, gunshots are really sharp and hurt after a while.

It's strange as I have to raise the volume to hear vocals and such in movies for example but whenever something similar to glass breaking occurs, it seems a lot sharper and louder than normal.

E.g I turn the volume down a lot for action scenes and up again everywhere else. Same for certain tracks for music. Violin for example and cymbals, triangle even, seems a lot more pronounced and louder than everything else.

Would that be due to the 10k spike that was mentioned here? :5

Ahh I run these from my laptop > Cayin C5.

Ps4 > Dss > c5

Don't know if that's relevant though.

Sorry for the Great Wall of text.

Would appreciate some opinions, much obliged.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mine was the same, before burn-in. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #6,722 of 7,138
Change amp. Recommend the iFi micro iDSD or the nano version (if you want to try the house sound without hurting the wallet--US$200. Micro is US$500). You'll be very surprised. I own two LCD-2s. Use of Minimum Phase digital filter plus XBass turned on gets the LCD-2F's bass on par with the LCD-2 Rev. 2. Use of Minimum Phase digital filter plus 3D turned on gets the LCD-2 Rev. 2's imaging and midrange-treble resolution on par with the LCD-2F. Enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

What happens if you combine earlier LCD-2 Rev. 2 with XBASS then ?
Really impactful/tactile bass or muddiness ?
I looked at the iFi portable amps before but the XBASS feature was mainly to add more to modded Fostex T50RP's...

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #6,723 of 7,138
What happens if you combine earlier LCD-2 Rev. 2 with XBASS then ?
Really impactful/tactile bass or muddiness ?
I looked at the iFi portable amps before but the XBASS feature was mainly to add more to modded Fostex T50RP's...
No, not muddy at all. Just more than enough bass for me with XBass on. The XBass just affects 150hz and below (see graph at page 90). Doesn't bleed to upper bass at all, to my ears. There's a graph on the iFi micro iDSD thread if you want exact hz range affected.

For me the LCD-2 Rev. 2 doesn't need the XBass. It has enough in the deep bass.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #6,724 of 7,138
Change amp. Recommend the iFi micro iDSD or the nano version (if you want to try the house sound without hurting the wallet--US$200. Micro is US$500). You'll be very surprised. I own two LCD-2s. Use of Minimum Phase digital filter plus XBass turned on gets the LCD-2F's bass on par with the LCD-2 Rev. 2. Use of Minimum Phase digital filter plus 3D turned on gets the LCD-2 Rev. 2's imaging and midrange-treble resolution on par with the LCD-2F. Enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for recommendation.

At the moment I use software 'trick' - in my j.river media center, I turn on DSP Studio effects - Environment: Concert Hall (3) and Surround Field - Medium Enhancement. 
It does help a bit, but it doesn't improve the soundstage of my LCD-2 (rev.2) to give me the out-of-head sound that I experience with my other planar - Hifiman HE-400.

I wonder if the amp you recommend for LCD-2, would give me a better effect - wider, more spacious, more airy, out-of-head sound...

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #6,725 of 7,138
Thank you for recommendation.

At the moment I use software 'trick' - in my j.river media center, I turn on DSP Studio effects - Environment: Concert Hall (3) and Surround Field - Medium Enhancement. 

It does help a bit, but it doesn't improve the soundstage of my LCD-2 (rev.2) to give me the out-of-head sound that I experience with my other planar - Hifiman HE-400.

I wonder if the amp you recommend for LCD-2, would give me a better effect - wider, more spacious, more airy, out-of-head sound...
IMHO, what you're hearing as out-of-head sound is the recessed midrange (V shape frequency response) of the HE-400 (non "i"). So the voices seems farther/deeper, hence more "out-of-your-head". Excellent HP though for the price, especially now.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #6,726 of 7,138
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread, or not. I did a cursory search and didn't find anything. If I missed it, apologies.

Last month, I contacted Audeze and asked about buying Fazors to retro-fit my LCD2 v1. I was told there was not enough interest and they are not available for purchase. A friend skilled in 3D modeling took measurements from my LCD2 v1 that I made with digital calipers and designed "wave guides."

Anyone with pre-Fazor LCD2 v1 (and maybe v2) can go here and see Post 1460 for 3D printed "wave guides."  This is a DIY, non-profit project. 

Go here for the original Post 1430 with pictures that can be enlarged.

If anyone tries this, please post impressions.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #6,727 of 7,138
I contacted Audeze a few months back and they offered a Fazor update but no more. Too bad.  Headphone Guru's LCD2 Fazor Product of the year got me jazzed.  I'll just wait until I get enough $$ for an X!

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #6,729 of 7,138
Heck if I know.  The Guru went nuts over the new Fazor 2 and it's his go to phone despite owning the rest.  Here's the article.

what are the tonal differences between LCD 2.1, LCD 2.2 and a 2.2 with Fazor? ThanksHe

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #6,730 of 7,138
what are the tonal differences between LCD 2.1, LCD 2.2 and a 2.2 with Fazor? Thanks
I only have the Rev. 2 and fazors, the tonal difference is the Fazor edition is on bright side. Rev. 2 is more neutral, but warm, but to my ears definitely not dark, just very articulate, solid and full-bodied on the bass. This baby can deliver and distinguish between succeeding notes of a sub-bass!

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #6,731 of 7,138
thanks. so it's brighter on the treble side, any difference in the midrange and bass? does the brighter-ness supress the mids / bass ? [i only have a 2 w fazor - a bit bright but never fatiguing]

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #6,732 of 7,138
thanks. so it's brighter on the treble side, any difference in the midrange and bass? does the brighter-ness supress the mids / bass ? [i only have a 2 w fazor - a bit bright but never fatiguing]

To me, the mid-lushness, creamy-ness or yummy-ness is better on the Rev. 2. My comments re bass pertains to Rev. 2 only...go figure...:)

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #6,734 of 7,138
Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I have another question regarding LCD2, HD600, and HD650. I found HD600 to be harsh and sibilant, but not much so on HD650. What are the chances that I will find LCD2 with Fazor to be sibilant? I am only 17 years old, so I am very sensitive to high frequency sound. Not to mention I listen to terribly mastered recordings. I currently have a Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies, and I was thinking of getting the HD650+ADL Silver Cables, but the posts in this thread made me think twice. I did read about the 10khz of LCD2, and I just found out through SineGen that I am indeed very sensitive in this area. So, am I one of the minority where HD650 would actually be better suited for my ears? 

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #6,735 of 7,138
LCD-2f has more highs than LCD-X or LCD-3 or previous versions of LCD-2, but I would say it is the right quantity (therefore the others a little warmish imo).
Other than that, what also helps getting rid of sibilance is using a good quality DAC/DAP and, if it is a desk setup, using better cables and power acessories (such as Schiit Wyrd on the USB).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back