The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,306 of 7,138

Quote:
I don't think you understand the principle of the matter. If this headband construction in not up to par, there should be some future design modification which resolves the issue. However, before any of that can even begin to happen, Audeze must be made aware that it is an issue at all. They are a new company, steadily working their way towards a great product. But, to make a great product, customers need to come forth and share their collective experience.

A screw cam loose, sounds like you should be able to relate.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #1,308 of 7,138

Quote:
With the LCD-2r2 you'll have more clarity, better instrument separation and layering, more focused sound and less bass with improved quality. But don't expect night/day difference. Both HD650 and LCD-2 are great all-rounders. I regret for selling my 650s.

The LCD2 has way more bass then the HD650. The HD650 even coupled with a very good amp will not have dominant bass and sub-bass as the LCD2 by stock un-amped has. The LCD2's are the best high end pair of can's for electronic music, the HD650 when amp'ed right sounds very very good with genres of being classical and anything with alot of vocals. Of course you can use the LCD2's as all rounders, but the HD650, I don't think so. Pre 2005/6 HD650's were muddy and veiled, after Sennheiser's driver updates on the 580, 600 and 650, the sound characteristics has changed, especially with the HD650 being a love and hate thing for a lot of owners. When I first listened to the HD650 it was amp'ed with a RWA amp (no clue on what the model was) and it sounded extremely lush and pleasing with various music with vocals and bit of classical. When I tried some electronic music (AMV, dub, dnb and few other hardcore tracks) the HD650 lost its clarity and sounded weakened in the bass department (they are no basshead can's by any means) and it sounded as if the low end was almost gone.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #1,309 of 7,138

Quote:
Hey everybody, first time entering this thread, but I'm very close to purchasing a pair of these. So, I've been using my Sennhesier HD650 off a HA-160DS and a WA6 + X-DAC and was wondering how much improvement would the LCD-2 Rev2 would be on my setup, or would I need to get a higher end amp?

What genre of music do you listen to?

If you like the sound signature of your HD650 then you will love the sound of the SRH1840's. Just think of a HD650 but on steroids providing tighter bass but quantity reproduction without bleeding into the mid range, clear top end and unseemlessly clear treble range sounding also very good with vocal music. To be honest with your current setup, you will not see much improvement as say if you were coming from a stock HD650. Since you already own a good amp, to your ears you will probably see a low range 2 digit percentage of increase of what sounds an improvement over your current setup. Not to mention the sound characteristic/signature of the two is different. I haven't personally heard through the WA6 but unless your moving towards a more upfront, fast and more bass signature then possibly the LCD2 will be your next solution. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #1,310 of 7,138

Quote:
The LCD2 has way more bass then the HD650. The HD650 even coupled with a very good amp will not have dominant bass and sub-bass as the LCD2 by stock un-amped has.

I've never experienced dominant bass with mine (from february 2012) no matter what amp I use (Corda Prehead, Audio GD-FUN, ATC CA2, Violectric HPA V200). Also I had more prominent bass with my HD650s (I think it was made before 2005) especially after good burn-in.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,311 of 7,138

Quote:
I've never experienced dominant bass with mine (from february 2012) no matter what amp I use (Corda Prehead, Audio GD-FUN, ATC CA2, Violectric HPA V200). Also I had more prominent bass with my HD650s (I think it was made before 2005) especially after good burn-in.

That is very odd. The HD650 I auditioned was purchased from 2008, after Sennheiser updated the drivers, so that's probably why. But you will find most HD650 users will say that it is definitely not bass prominent, yes it has bass and can go quite low but it is punchy and controlled compared to the LCD2's which does everything else so much better.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #1,312 of 7,138

Quote:
 But you will find most HD650 users will say that it is definitely not bass prominent, yes it has bass and can go quite low but it is punchy and controlled compared to the LCD2's which does everything else so much better.

eek.gif
My experience with both is just the opposite! Maybe the older drivers of HD650 were different, maybe the newer LCD-2s (as written above mine are from february) have better bass response OR maybe it's my brain - I've never compared them side by side. I used to have 650s 5-6 years ago :)

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #1,314 of 7,138
visim91

If you are discussing the black Phillips-head screw which screws into the bottom of the vertical silver(ish) height adjustment rod; On my pair of LCD-2(rev.2) that screw bent.Leaving one earpiece at an improper angle to my ear.

I informed Audez'e and selected photos which illustrated the location of the screw.I told them that for an item of such small size that all I wanted was the specifics of the thread type and screw diameter and I would source a replacement part here within Australia.

Audez'e specified the part size to be as follows:

Black Oxide Steel Machine Screw Length 6.4mm   Diameter 2.845mm (4-40 UNC)

If I were you I would still report it to Audez'e. I suspect that the screw on my LCD-2 bent because the washer doesn't lock the screw. Eventually I suspect that mine would have unscrewed itself, in the same manner in which your one did.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #1,315 of 7,138
Quote:
visim91

If you are discussing the black Phillips-head screw which screws into the bottom of the vertical silver(ish) height adjustment rod; On my pair of LCD-2(rev.2) that screw bent.Leaving one earpiece at an improper angle to my ear.

I informed Audez'e and selected photos which illustrated the location of the screw.I told them that for an item of such small size that all I wanted was the specifics of the thread type and screw diameter and I would source a replacement part here within Australia.

Audez'e specified the part size to be as follows:

Black Oxide Steel Machine Screw Length 6.4mm   Diameter 2.845mm (4-40 UNC)

If I were you I would still report it to Audez'e. I suspect that the screw on my LCD-2 bent because the washer doesn't lock the screw. Eventually I suspect that mine would have unscrewed itself, in the same manner in which your one did.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can get one.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,316 of 7,138
If you are happy with the hd650 just keep on enjoying them. But if you want to upgrade you should go upgrading your phones rather than your amp.

Quote:

How would an HD 650 sound with my Rega and V200? What genres is it better at than the LCD 2 R.2? I may look into getting one if it offers something different. 
blink.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #1,317 of 7,138
I ended up selling my LCD-2's after two of them cracked. And no, it wasn't from being rough with them. They kept cracking in the same place. One took 2 months to crack, the other took 2 days after they sent me a new pair.

Bad luck I guess. I ended up selling my fixed third pair to a friend, and just ordered the HD-800s. I've been really happy with the HD-800s (sound and build). But I do somewhat regret selling the LCD-2s. Not because I think they are superior, I really do love the HD-800s. But I liked the flavor of the LCD-2s too.

I'm thinking of saving up again and giving them another go when the Bamboo models have been out longer, and people have given more feedback on them. Although, I don't really like the way they look. I'm not all about aesthetic though. Maybe I might even just wait another year, see if they make a Rev. 3 (unless the Bamboo models are considered that lol). 

EDIT: Just read that the connectors have been fixed to the LCD-3 style. Nice, that's where the cracks kept happening. Now I'm even more tempted. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back