The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #1,336 of 7,138
HE-500/LCD-2 produce a much higher quality bass. And when I say "quality" I do not mean just strength of impact, but much better texture/detail to the bass, and it's much faster, you get to hear that Planar speed, which leaves the dynamic driver of the D2000 in the dust. The D2000 has plenty of overwhelming bass quantity though, although it feels bloated/muddy at times. Once you get used to the Planar bass, you won't go back. If strong bass is important I would get the LCD-2, as it has just a little bit more oomph than the HE-500, although I find the HE-500 bass closer to neutral.

Quote:
Looks like HE-500 and the LCD-2 would both work.  LCD-2 a bit more though.  Thanks.

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,338 of 7,138

I was the proud and happy owner of a D2000 for many months and I was definitely "Wowed" by the bass. I found it impressive until I heard what the planars could do. I still kept it in my collection for a couple of months, using it in rotation with the LCD-2/HE-500. The main reason I sold the D2000 was the thin recessed mids however, the bass was just plain fun at times, but also overwhelming at times. Not sure if I would call it "gorgeous" ... I would use that word for the LCD-2 bass.
wink.gif

Quote:
I wouldn't underestimate that much the bass of D2000. It's not the most accurate, it's just gorgeous. :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,339 of 7,138

Quote:
I was the proud and happy owner of a D2000 for many months and I was definitely "Wowed" by the bass. I found it impressive until I heard what the planars could do. I still kept it in my collection for a couple of months, using it in rotation with the LCD-2/HE-500. The main reason I sold the D2000 was the thin recessed mids however, the bass was just plain fun at times, but also overwhelming at times. Not sure if I would call it "gorgeous" ... I would use that word for the LCD-2 bass.
wink.gif

Also the reason I sold the D2000 was the recessed mids.  I went with the HD650 but now I would like the sound sig of the HD650 along with more bass extension.  The HD650 just doesn't go as deep as I like, I feel there are entire parts of the music I'm missing out on.

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #1,340 of 7,138
Also kept the HD650s for the same reason. The gorgeous mids, but like you say the bass extension is lacking and that mid-bass hump can be sluggish and muddy at times. Man you're going to love the LCD-2 and HE-500 because they both have mids to die for "delicious" would be the word, and the bass extension you're looking for.

Quote:
Also the reason I sold the D2000 was the recessed mids.  I went with the HD650 but now I would like the sound sig of the HD650 along with more bass extension.  The HD650 just doesn't go as deep as I like, I feel there are entire parts of the music I'm missing out on.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,341 of 7,138
Off topic but technically the 650 and 2000 both go as deep but the 2000 has measurably really poor control and is massively distorted down low.  Not to say it isn't enjoyable just that what your missing in the 650 is the added decay and distortion that isn't in the recording.  On topic, I find that the speed and control of the planars really makes up for the lower treble on the LCD-2/3.  Its measurably lower than neutral but the clarity, edge speed and drive of planars really makes it sound louder if that makes sense.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,342 of 7,138
I am staying in Asia, Singapore. So far, 5 months age of my LCD2r2, no cracking occurrence @ the connector.

popcorn.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,344 of 7,138
My money would be on overly tightened connectors putting pressure from the inside out more than external factors.  Ie the tech wants to get the pins square and turns just that much too far and boom, you have a pair with wood under pressure but not enough to crack right there and then.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #1,345 of 7,138
Good thinking. I haven't opened them up , myself, but I guess you have?
Quote:
My money would be on overly tightened connectors putting pressure from the inside out more than external factors.  Ie the tech wants to get the pins square and turns just that much too far and boom, you have a pair with wood under pressure but not enough to crack right there and then.

here's a rev.2 opened up by another user:
6e54c59e_MyLCD-2rev.jpeg

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,347 of 7,138
Did anyone face this problem that i had with my lcd 2.2?

the 4pin male mini-xlr socket of the left side driver became loose and it was able to rotate/spin when i gave a slight twisting motion to it. When i twisted it by around 50degrees, the sound on that side got cut off.

I have sent my LCD2 for RMA and i'm waiting for it's return while i use the (brand new) loaner set that the dealer in Singapore passed to me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,349 of 7,138
Going to depend on its home more than anything else.  I've seen some completely beaten to hell ones and then mine is in as new condition with easily 1000+ hours on it.  Given there are still vintage ones around to be modded I'd guess the tech is good for life if not abused.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #1,350 of 7,138

Quote:
Did anyone face this problem that i had with my lcd 2.2?

the 4pin male mini-xlr socket of the left side driver became loose and it was able to rotate/spin when i gave a slight twisting motion to it. When i twisted it by around 50degrees, the sound on that side got cut off.

I have sent my LCD2 for RMA and i'm waiting for it's return while i use the (brand new) loaner set that the dealer in Singapore passed to me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

What is the meaning of RMA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back