The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Nov 21, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #3,541 of 7,138
LOL
wink_face.gif

Here I was predicting a 'darker' sound. It's how expectation bias works, apparently. Well parried 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Don't know, I haven't actually listnened to them. Only bought them to polish 
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #3,542 of 7,138
Interesting olor1n. I wonder if the later LCD2 have gained from experience and technology producing the LCD3, even though they remain distinct products.

Or, it's another instance of the variation between units purrin noted...

Whatever, congrats on a nice specimen.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #3,543 of 7,138
Thanks AiDee. purrin has stated for some months that he felt Audez'e had honed their LCD-2 production. I believe this is backed by measurements of later models. He may have been onto something.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #3,544 of 7,138
Quote:
Thanks AiDee. purrin has stated for some months that he felt Audez'e had honed their LCD-2 production. I believe this is backed by measurements of later models. He may have been onto something.

So us Head-fi'ers who own the older rev.1/rev.2's need to buy the latest incarnation of a matured LCD 2?

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #3,545 of 7,138
Quote:
I've been quite critical of the LCD-2 in the past. I lived with one of the very first rev.2's for a year and it was a love/hate relationship. I moved that on a few months ago and thought I'd washed my hands of Audez'e. Inexplicably and on impulse I purchased a brand LCD-2 in this latest iteration (Rosewood).

The new LCD-2 came in today and I must say it is beautiful. The one I sold was one of the very first rev.2's and was a little rough around the edges (somewhat of a DIY look). This latest version is incredibly polished. The Rosewood is much nicer and the leather is very soft. The earpads are a lot cushier than the ones on my previous pair. This is how I imagined the LCD-3 pads to feel when I read the initial impressions against the traditional LCD-2 pads. The headphone clamps less as a result. Overall the headphone feels lighter as well. I never really found my previous pair uncomfortable, but this one sits better on the head and feels less cumbersome.

Have only been listening for about 30 minutes, but there's no doubt, this one sounds much better than my previous rev.2. That one was all glorious sub bass and no high end to speak of. It was fine most of the time but there were instances when a veil would rear its head. This one has much better balance, confirmed by the more even FR chart. Vocals through this headphone are sublime.

What qualifies as a new LCD-2? I mine was built in August.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #3,546 of 7,138
Quote:
I've been busy polishing again...

I stripped my shiny Bamboozle's and started again, doing it properly this time. Reason being, I couldn't get the colour I wanted by keep adding onto the existing varnish and they had that much wax on any slight knock produced marks and scratches on the wax.

So... I sanded them down to the bone. Put some wood dye on (Rich Mahogony) this really darkened them. I then applied quite a few coats of scratch cover and dark wax polish, this helped build the wax over the raw wood and get the colour that I wanted. By this stage I thought blo*ody hell this is going to take for ever to build the the wax back up, so.... I cheated! and added some coloured lacquer varnish. This ofcourse added a very nice sheen, but it looked unatural. I sanded it down ever so slightly, leaving shiny bits and texture. Added a few more coats of wax polish and bingo!

They don't look like Bamboo anymore but I'm very happy with the result. More like an antique dark mahogany. Just need to add a few more coats of wax...

You have to be a master with making the LCD-2 look amazing. I didnt think they could look any better than what you had previously done with them. 
biggrin.gif

This is just on a different level all together. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #3,547 of 7,138
Quote:

You have to be a master with making the LCD-2 look amazing. I didnt think they could look any better than what you had previously done with them. 
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

beerchug.gif

i dont like it.the stock one is much better imo.i have a desk that looks the same colour.its good but nothing special.

on another note.i decided to keep my lcd2 despite their flaws.its sound and timbre are meaty and thick which i find magical onsome of the  materials i listen to.
the only two genres that i think lcd2 are bad in is classical and trance.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3,549 of 7,138
Quote:

Since that was directly quoted at me, I shouldn't post my feelings on it since you don't like it? 
confused.gif

dont be sensitive.it wasnt directed at you.i was expressing my opinion ( feelings is a strong word) as well.i quoted you so that whoever reads what i wrote know what i was talking about
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3,550 of 7,138
That's reassuring olor1n, as there's an LCD3 sometime in my future!

Purrin's measurements, and his input in general, are a valuable resource on head-fi.

DefQon, not sure how serious your comment was but...my LCD2r1 sounded terrific two days ago. It sounds the same today.

None of our 'hi-fi' gear is reference or laboratory grade in terms of consistent production. We get what we get, and when we're unhappy we sell it or exchange it under warranty. To their credit, Audez'e - among others - make exchange easy.

And it's good to hear evidence Audez'e's consistency has improved after their earlier problems.

Judging by the head-fi own it/had it ratio, satisfaction with Audez'e's phones is statistically indistinguishable from satisfaction with other companies flagship products, specifically Beyer's T1 and Sennheiser's HD800.

Quote:

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #3,551 of 7,138
Quote:

biggrin.gif

eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Thank you!
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3,552 of 7,138
Quote:
I've been quite critical of the LCD-2 in the past. I lived with one of the very first rev.2's for a year and it was a love/hate relationship. I moved that on a few months ago and thought I'd washed my hands of Audez'e. Inexplicably and on impulse I purchased a brand LCD-2 in this latest iteration (Rosewood).

The new LCD-2 came in today and I must say it is beautiful. The one I sold was one of the very first rev.2's and was a little rough around the edges (somewhat of a DIY look). This latest version is incredibly polished. The Rosewood is much nicer and the leather is very soft. The earpads are a lot cushier than the ones on my previous pair. This is how I imagined the LCD-3 pads to feel when I read the initial impressions against the traditional LCD-2 pads. The headphone clamps less as a result. Overall the headphone feels lighter as well. I never really found my previous pair uncomfortable, but this one sits better on the head and feels less cumbersome.

Have only been listening for about 30 minutes, but there's no doubt, this one sounds much better than my previous rev.2. That one was all glorious sub bass and no high end to speak of. It was fine most of the time but there were instances when a veil would rear its head. This one has much better balance, confirmed by the more even FR chart. Vocals through this headphone are sublime.

Congrats and pleased you're enjoying them again, I've noticed that most peeps who buy the latest incarnation with the new connectors are happy the sound. They are quite balanced as you say. They're warm and laid-back and present the music in such a cohesive and whole way. Nothing stands out or seems missing. Unless you want a bit more top end. I actually really like the treble, perfect for saxophone!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back