The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Aug 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,762 of 7,138
Quote:
Can of worms. However I enjoy my Q cable. Why worry about placebo if it gives you "greater" enjoyment anyways

tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,764 of 7,138
HD800 vs. LCD-2, you can say the glass is half empty, or half full, but what it is is what it is. LCD-2's soundstage is dynamic; it changes from recording to recording though you must have a capable amp. However, it's not nearly as expansive as the HD800.
Quote:
It's been mentioned many times that the LCD2 has a small soundstage, does it really detract from the music experience?

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,765 of 7,138
Some make breathtaking differences: it opens up the top, tightens the bass, and is much more resolving than stock. It won't be a large difference like headphones or amps, as it will not alter the FR, but when you switch from or back to stock, it'll hit you hard. :) Placebo or not, it works for me. I can't say about Toxic Cables though because I have no experience with them.

Quote:
None of you have any input on aftermarket cables?

Would anybody on this board even admit if it was a placebo effect?

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,766 of 7,138
Quote:
Some make breathtaking differences: it opens up the top, tightens the bass, and is much more resolving than stock. It won't be a large difference like headphones or amps, as it will not alter the FR, but when you switch from or back to stock, it'll hit you hard. :) Placebo or not, it works for me. I can't say about Toxic Cables though because I have no experience with them.

Really...breathtaking. Paraphrasing here...night and day. I say nope,
otherwise you'd be able to DBT 'em, right? 2/cents.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #2,769 of 7,138
And I'm guessing you have tons of experience with many different cables to qualify your accusation and assumption that I have not yet done DBTs?

"Breathtaking" and "night and day" are much different since the latter tells us literally that there is a concrete contrasting difference. "Breathtaking" does not. I also stated that it will not be a large difference if you go back and read my post.

Quote:
Really...breathtaking. Paraphrasing here...night and day. I say nope,
otherwise you'd be able to DBT 'em, right? 2/cents.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2,770 of 7,138
Quote:
And I'm guessing you have tons of experience with many different cables to qualify your accusation and assumption that I have not yet done DBTs?

"Breathtaking" and "night and day" are much different since the latter tells us literally that there is a concrete contrasting difference. "Breathtaking" does not. I also stated that it will not be a large difference if you go back and read my post.

I do have experience with cables, that's not the point. I just want you to go ahead and say yes, you've successfully differentiated cables in a DBT.

Also, if an aftermarket cable is "breathtaking" then what the hell is a stock cable? Sounds like night and day to me. And
as I had said I paraphrased you. 

And no, you said some cables are breathtaking, but won't be as large a difference as headphones or amps.
But that switching from or back to stock it hits you hard. Just seems a bit all over the place.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #2,771 of 7,138
Aug 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2,772 of 7,138
Quote:
I do have experience with cables, that's not the point. I just want you to go ahead and say yes, you've successfully differentiated cables in a DBT.

Also, if an aftermarket cable is "breathtaking" then what the hell is a stock cable? Sounds like night and day to me. And

And no, you said some cables are breathtaking, but won't be as large a difference as headphones or amps.
But that switching from or back to stock it hits you hard. Just seems a bit all over the place.

FWIW I get more of a night and day difference going from stock cable to aftermarket than I do with amps up until I double or triple what I spend on an amp.. which at that point I'd rather just buy a new watch or something.

Yes I can literally hear differences between different brands and materials. Girls Generation has quite a few cables believe it or not, he's just not as vocal as he should be about them.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2,773 of 7,138
Quote:
How well will the LCD-2's sound straight out of an Asus Essence ST?

I don't have the funds for a nice amp currently, so will my "high end" sound card do fine until I get an amp?

Quote:
(Edit)

Great! Is it worth it to upgrade the cables to, let's say the Toxic-Cables Copper/silver mix?

http://toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=100

Or is changing cables just a placebo effect with these headphones?

Quote:
None of you have any input on aftermarket cables?

Would anybody on this board even admit if it was a placebo effect?

I have some nice Q cables for my LCD-2 and HD800. I'm not going to wax lyrical about their impact on sound. I needed different terminations for the Mjolnir and the Q cables look great and are well crafted. I guess this a recommendation, but with that out of the way, cables should really be the last expense. Save your pennies for "better" upstream components. The LCD-2 doesn't demand it, but the return in investment will be more apparent to your ears than bling between your headphone and soundcard.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,774 of 7,138
You're taking words way too literally and applying the most extreme definitions to them. I am going to repeat my last post, and maybe make it more clear this time.

Breathtaking doesn't mean it has to be night and day. Anything can be breathtaking in that it leaves you surprised. You don't have to be slapped in the face with a whole different sound signature in order to be surprised; the outcome just needs to be much different than what you were initially expecting.

The difference is not night and day where it will change the sound completely as will with changing amps or headphones. Aka, cables will not have as "large" a difference, because it does not change/color/affect the sound frequency.

Switching from/back to stock hits you hard because of the immediate differences you can discern. Do note that "immediate differences" does not equal "night and day." Perhaps you took my saying "hits you hard" a bit too literally.

Quote:

+1, did not realize he mentioned he has a low budget.

cables should really be the last expense. Save your pennies for "better" upstream components. The LCD-2 doesn't demand it, but the return in investment will be more apparent to your ears than bling between your headphone and soundcard.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2,775 of 7,138
Quote:
You're taking words way too literally and applying the most extreme definitions to them. I am going to repeat my last post, and maybe make it more clear this time.

Breathtaking doesn't mean it has to be night and day. Anything can be breathtaking in that it leaves you surprised. You don't have to be slapped in the face with a whole different sound signature in order to be surprised; the outcome just needs to be much different than what you were initially expecting.

The difference is not night and day where it will change the sound completely as will with changing amps or headphones. Aka, cables will not have as "large" a difference, because it does not change/color/affect the sound frequency.

Switching from/back to stock hits you hard because of the immediate differences you can discern. Do note that "immediate differences" does not equal "night and day." Perhaps you took my saying "hits you hard" a bit too literally.

That does clear things up a bit more. Thanks.

And yes, I was being too literal because that initially was my interpretation of your statements.

Lastly...I wouldn't ever undermine someone's opinions or experiences. I can't differentiate between cables, maybe you can.
Perhaps it is all just placebo, which is why I brought up the DBT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back