The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Aug 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2,776 of 7,138
Then I guess it's my fault initially for not making my statements more lucid, sorry. 
redface.gif

Maybe it's just due to the many factors that may affect perception in each and every person. I sure as hell cannot single out each ingredient that went into the making of a soup, like some chefs can...
Quote:
That does clear things up a bit more. Thanks.

And yes, I was being too literal because that initially was my interpretation of your statements.

Lastly...I wouldn't ever undermine someone's opinions or experiences. I can't differentiate between cables, maybe you can.
Perhaps it is all just placebo, which is why I brought up the DBT.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2,777 of 7,138
There is no such thing as night and day differences with cables. period. You can get the most expensive cable out there and you will only get very little subtle differences, some of you guys are taking cables to an extent where it transforms something average into something perfect, I can tell you it's not happening due to cables, its the placebo effect of which you can hear marginal differences because you want to believe their is marginal differences.

I've gone through a lot of cables out there from big name companies and the DIY route and it's all the same in the end, either no difference or only subtle differences, you can argue all you want but it won't change anything that has been discussed and stated for the past 30 years, unless the original stock cable was damaged, frayed or poorly constructed etc.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2,778 of 7,138
Quote:
Quote:
I do have experience with cables, that's not the point. I just want you to go ahead and say yes, you've successfully differentiated cables in a DBT.

Also, if an aftermarket cable is "breathtaking" then what the hell is a stock cable? Sounds like night and day to me. And
as I had said I paraphrased you. 

And no, you said some cables are breathtaking, but won't be as large a difference as headphones or amps.
But that switching from or back to stock it hits you hard. Just seems a bit all over the place.

FWIW I get more of a night and day difference going from stock cable to aftermarket than I do with amps up until I double or triple what I spend on an amp.. which at that point I'd rather just buy a new watch or something.

Yes I can literally hear differences between different brands and materials. Girls Generation has quite a few cables believe it or not, he's just not as vocal as he should be about them.

You're a cable maker and a MOT. Please stay out of these discussions.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2,779 of 7,138
Maybe the fact that I yearn for this missing 5% in the sound to be filled, and that the cables give me exactly what I want, makes this marginal difference so much more than what it is. Take food for an example; that missing 5% that's given by that slight touch of herbs/spices succeeds in pleasing master chefs, but when it's missing, they go nuts.
Quote:
There is no such thing as night and day differences with cables. period. You can get the most expensive cable out there and you will only get very little subtle differences, some of you guys are taking cables to an extent where it transforms something average into something perfect, I can tell you it's not happening due to cables, its the placebo effect of which you can hear marginal differences because you want to believe their is marginal differences.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2,780 of 7,138
Quote:

I've gone through a lot of cables out there from big name companies and the DIY route and it's all the same in the end, either no difference or only subtle differences, you can argue all you want but it won't change anything that has been discussed and stated for the past 30 years, unless the original stock cable was damaged, frayed or poorly constructed etc.

Wow,and
All of this doesn't really apply,except ,when you buy these:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=12

These make a difference...night & day,or,whatever

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #2,781 of 7,138
Quote:
Maybe the fact that I yearn for this missing 5% in the sound to be filled, and that the cables give me exactly what I want, makes this marginal difference so much more than what it is. Take food for an example; that missing 5% that's given by that slight touch of herbs/spices succeeds in pleasing master chefs, but when it's missing, they go nuts.

Yeh I've had that before with some of my cables, but that 5% of missing sound that gets filled in by a good cable doesn't warrant a night and day difference. It's a small subtle change, it's not like the cable has made the sound 200% better or the change of turning the volume on your amp from 0 to maxed out.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2,782 of 7,138
Then I guess we can agree to agree because I was arguing against cables making a night and day difference :wink:
Quote:
Yeh I've had that before with some of my cables, but that 5% of missing sound that gets filled in by a good cable doesn't warrant a night and day difference. It's a small subtle change, it's not like the cable has made the sound 200% better or the change of turning the volume on your amp from 0 to maxed out.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,783 of 7,138
Cables do make a night and day difference 
wink_face.gif
...No cable equals No sound, that's night and day to me
bigsmile_face.gif
! Joking aside, I think they make up more than the final 5% of a good system especially with the stock cable on the LCD2 being quite alarmingly poor. I use a silver/gold hybrid cable on my LCD2 and the sonic changes it brings to the table is worth the price I paid for it, some may disagree. 

No one has to change cables, but a better cable is like watching the main cast compared to the understudies at a matinee show, drinking Krug as opposed to Moet, wearing Edward Green shoes rather than Churches and the list goes on........

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2,784 of 7,138
Quote:
Then I guess we can agree to agree because I was arguing against cables making a night and day difference :wink:

Quote:
wink_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
! Joking aside, I think they make up more than the final 5% of a good system especially with the stock cable on the LCD2 being quite alarmingly poor. I use a silver/gold hybrid cable on my LCD2 and the sonic changes it brings to the table is worth the price I paid for it, some may disagree. 

No one has to change cables, but a better cable is like watching the main cast compared to the understudies at a matinee show, drinking Krug as opposed to Moet, wearing Edward Green shoes rather than Churches and the list goes on........

Yep.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,785 of 7,138
Quote:
wink_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

I disagree. I think you should have put a full stop after the last "it" rather than a comma. 
biggrin.gif

Incidentally, I don't understand the last two analogies in your final sentence. Is it because I don't get out enough?

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #2,787 of 7,138
Well regular cables like the Q, DHC molecule, SD, TWag, etc. would give me a small improvement, like 5%. Then there are cables like the DHC Spore that is designed extremely well, though with an extremely high price tag, that makes a truly breathtaking difference, sonically and physically, that would be more than enough to justify the price to those who are rich enough to afford it.

Quote:
wink_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,788 of 7,138
Quote:
Well regular cables like the Q, DHC molecule, SD, TWag, etc. would give me a small improvement, like 5%. Then there are cables like the DHC Spore that is designed extremely well, though with an extremely high price tag, that makes a truly breathtaking difference, sonically and physically, that would be more than enough to justify the price to those who are rich enough to afford it.

Or you could just buy an LCD-3 with enough cash for a V181 or V200 and know you're getting a difference.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #2,790 of 7,138

Users who are viewing this thread

Back