The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #556 of 1,921
Spend enough time with the matri.. err... measurements and you learn to read the code. You see? There's a high hat, and that's a kick drum. Think of the money we'll save! 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #557 of 1,921

Stop it already! If an earphones measures well enough it is for everyone. There is no subjective in personal listening. Next thing you'll say that taste in music is also personal and subjective. So measure the CKM500 already or we can't rely on anything you say! All under $100 consumer brand earphones need to be measured so that they may coordinate with the stringent regulations that all digital audio players have to measure and sound the same. Oh, and since people will be using these in different environs which will cancel out different frequencies in different amounts and altering the sound you'll need to measure in each of these. Train, bus, car, park, library, city, suburb etc. and be sure to factor in wind and or rain noise. It may take a while so get on it!
smile.gif

BTW, what does the Audiofly sound like if it is so different from the sound of the AT?

Wait a minute. I'm confusing myself. If I can't trust my ears, then what do I listen with? My measurements no longer matter because my ears have turned on me and I can no longer trust them! I cannot hear what the measurements show. UUUUGGGGHHH! Not since that chicken and egg thing have I been so torn. Which came first, the ear or the measurement?

If it measures well then it's objectively a good performer, if by some reason it's disliked that's a subjective matter and I'm sure there will be reasoning behind it. Seems people have a hard time separating the two, yet you get some useless generalizing like "I think it's on par with X IEM", but what's the reasoning? If it rests solely on personal taste, it's too personal to be used by others as some gold standard. If one's ears were that good at finding absolute performance (when defined by rules), I wonder why Stax, Sennheisser, Beyerdynamic  etc. don't hire those users instead their accurate measuring gear (which I know for fact they use for their headphone flagships).

I was hoping for a serious response to my last post, but it seems to be resorted to mockery. Taking my input out of context and placing it in some silly way isn't granting you any credit. You can get generalizations of how an IEM may sound like readings other's though, that's what I did with Jarrett's bass comparison. You can also get pretty darn close to pin-point generalizations that can help you see whether it's closer or not to standards but...  I just find it silly if you think someone else's evaluation of performance is solid to be used for yourself, performance has to be defined first to be begin with and with specific standards, not with broad useless terms like "it's more detailed"...lol.

I like the FXT90 more than the certain IEMs I acknowledge to be technically better by objective standards. The FXT90 is grainy, not well matched (duo dynamic drivers will have more of this flaw unless it's matched by measuring gear ala Vsonic[GR07]/Etymotic[ER4PT]), too bassy and a bit too forward in the midhighs, overall too far to be transparent (though the higher mids/lower treble are close to it). It's not an IEM I will solely use because of it's flaws, but it's a "fun" experience with certain recordings and will prefer as a secondary IEM to let's say a superior EX1000, see the difference? 

LOL.... Silly me @ jant71. Let me get on with the measuring!!...

Meh....

May 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #558 of 1,921
I can appreciate reviews by eric and dsnuts because it's easy for me to understand.  Also, I can appreciate Inks input because I can learn the more technical side of things.  I think there's room for both in all reviews/impressions.  

May 31, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #559 of 1,921
Quote:

One guess beforehand is that CKM500 is probably not as isolated as the Yamaha. Even if they ran head to head, I'd be tempted to maintain the Yamaha in the collection for isolation alone, all else being equal. I commute from time to time in noisy environments.

CKM500 isolation is quite bad, you can easily hear people talking with the music on. At least they're safer to go out in!

Quote:

Thanks jasonb. Or could just want people to buy the CKM500 out of some sort of wicked spite (as some seem to think). Honestly, I really think the CKM500 is one of the best I've heard under $100. But it won't be replacing my W4 or ASG-1.2 anytime soon. And I won't even give up my GR07 or FXT90 for it, but it easily competes with those two to my ears.

Even though it seems like I bashed CKM500 in my review, but in the back of my heard I was comparing it with ES3X and HD800, so it's not really fair. To be objective, it IS a very good performer under $100. It has great details and it does the vocals extremely well, something usually lacking in the sub $100 category.

May 31, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #562 of 1,921
Quote:
CKM500 isolation is quite bad, you can easily hear people talking with the music on. At least they're safer to go out in!

That property is the main reason I sent back a pair of EX1000's, besides it's price when I bought it. I couldn't justify a $500.00 pair that sounded amazing but with almost zero isolation. Might as well have gotten open cans for an equal or better sound at less cost. CKM500 I can justify. If I like it's signature and want to keep it around; the amount paid for it is less. Interesting how it's general design from the outside is similar to the Sony's mentioned, what with the large driver set at an angle; though minus the in-built ear hooks.

May 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #567 of 1,921
You finally have the FXT90!! 
beerchug.gif
 .... Happy for you! Now let us know asap how it compares to the FX40... thanks
Quote:
Can I join your club?

Shipped May 28th from Tokyo, in my hands May 31. EMS is amazing.

May 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #569 of 1,921
Quote:
Can I join your club?

Shipped May 28th from Tokyo, in my hands May 31. EMS is amazing.

Good to hear...mine also left on th 28th arrive in UK late 29th...now sat in bloody UK Customs for 2 bloody days...still no bloody news.....miffed? completely...!. knowing UK customs might get here before the summer is out....looking forward to your initial feedback.

May 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #570 of 1,921
Quote:
Good to hear...mine also left on th 28th arrive in UK late 29th...now sat in bloody UK Customs for 2 bloody days...still no bloody news.....miffed? completely...!. knowing UK customs might get here before the summer is out....looking forward to your initial feedback.

Maybe customs will burn them in before you get them! 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back