The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #526 of 1,921
CONGRATS!
beerchug.gif

May 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #527 of 1,921
some decent macros with a cheap point and shoot... click them for better high res images.

May 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #528 of 1,921
May 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #529 of 1,921
Looks like this IEM is really shaping up to be something quite revolutionary in the "bang for the buck" department. I was in the market for some new IEMs since my puppy completely demolished my 5yr old Superfi5 pros haha. I was looking at the GR07s, and the Yamaha EPH-100s because of their praise in joker's IEM review thread, luckily I stumbled upon this thread.

If I read it right, these Japan import only CKM500s have nearly as good SQ or better to those $150-$200 IEMs, at a mere $75 price tag. And with a nifty color selection to boot, for the fashion weary customers.

I'm looking forward to the feedback of the people that ordered these from cdjapan, as I'm leaning towards them for their lower price. But I also wouldn't mind getting the smartphone version. The only problem with the smartphone version for me is that it only comes in black/white/red
confused.gif

May 30, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #532 of 1,921
After a week of listening and experimenting with different eartips to find the optimum sound, I think I can finally give my contribution to this thread now :)
I have to say, I think the CKM500s are actually kinda over-hyped, I don't really think they can compare to $150+ IEMs like some feel.

My normal go to headphones are ES3X customs and HD800, so they are for reference, but I will compare here primarily with the JVC FXT90.

Bass:
I'm quite surprised that they are pretty bassy, especially at the midbass area, so the lower region sound a bit bloated. I actually find the CKM500s too bassy for most of the songs I listen to, especially for Jazz. Also, because the bass is so prominent, it cuts into the vocals (mids) slightly, decreasing the separation between the bass and vocals. However, cello sounds absolutely marvelous with these, so rich and detailed and with such believable weight. FXT90 after some burn-in the bass actually decreased by a lot, even less than CKM500, it feels tighter and faster. I prefer FXT90 in the bass department.

Mids:
CKM500 produces wonderful vocals, sounds beautifully with Elvis, Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, etc. It has the perfect amount of thickness and roundness to the voices. FXT90 in comparison sounds thinner and less present, even though they're still not bad. CKM500 wins hands down.

Trebles:
CKM500 trebles are smoother than FXT90, but FXT90 has more treble energy and more exciting. I feel extension on both are roughly the same. It depends on the type of music I listen to, but coming from HD800s I kinda prefer FXT90's treble just a hair more. 

Soundstage:
Soundstage for me is generally determined by how 'congested' the headphones sound, so it's hard to really describe in words, but I'll try my best.
JVC wins here. CKM500 like I said before sound a bit bottom heavy, so it creates a more in your face sound to my ears, and ultimately more congested. The soundstage also feels rather lacking depth.  FXT90 is more laid back, my ears are less fatigued during longer listening sessions with these. It also has better timbre for guitar, especially electric. Then I put on the ES3X after not listening to them for half a month, trying to see how much of a big difference customs can make. HOLY COW, I almost forgot how 3 dimensional music can sound out of headphones! I can literally see Elvis on the stage and instruments coming from behind, left, and right of him with pinpoint accuracy. Both CKM500 and JXT90 sound like paper.... Sorry, I kind of got offtrack

Comfort/Ergonomics:
CKM500 have insane microphonics, it's almost unbearable to walk with them (mostly due to the lack of slider after the splitter). The isolation isn't that great either, so I'm hesitant to bring them outside. Comfort is fine, don't really feel them in my ears.

What CKM500 does best, I think are vocal and instrument reproduction. Instruments have a genuine weight and sound to them, and in this regard they even surpasses ES3X and HD800. However, they sound too congested I can't really listen to them for too long without getting tired. For me, having gotten the FXT90s at $99 for 2 pairs, it's a much better deal and I honestly do think they sound better overall for the music I listen to. 

CKM500s are damn beautiful though!
Sorry if my review disappoints
tongue.gif

May 30, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #533 of 1,921
I'm burning Yamahas in addition to CKM500's. Time will tell. Curious to a/b and get a sense of what differences there are. 
redface.gif

May 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #535 of 1,921
Bought them 2 days ago. Cant wait to a/b'ing them with my Ckm99's.

Anyway i guess they are different. Ckm99 is V-shaped and what i get from your opinions ckm500 is mid centric.

I hope they will arrive there next week.

May 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #536 of 1,921
Quote:
After a week of listening and experimenting with different eartips to find the optimum sound, I think I can finally give my contribution to this thread now :)
I have to say, I think the CKM500s are actually kinda over-hyped, I don't really think they can compare to $150+ IEMs like some feel.

My normal go to headphones are ES3X customs and HD800, so they are for reference, but I will compare here primarily with the JVC FXT90.

Bass:
I'm quite surprised that they are pretty bassy, especially at the midbass area, so the lower region sound a bit bloated. I actually find the CKM500s too bassy for most of the songs I listen to, especially for Jazz. Also, because the bass is so prominent, it cuts into the vocals (mids) slightly, decreasing the separation between the bass and vocals. However, cello sounds absolutely marvelous with these, so rich and detailed and with such believable weight. FXT90 after some burn-in the bass actually decreased by a lot, even less than CKM500, it feels tighter and faster. I prefer FXT90 in the bass department.

Mids:
CKM500 produces wonderful vocals, sounds beautifully with Elvis, Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, etc. It has the perfect amount of thickness and roundness to the voices. FXT90 in comparison sounds thinner and less present, even though they're still not bad. CKM500 wins hands down.

Trebles:
CKM500 trebles are smoother than FXT90, but FXT90 has more treble energy and more exciting. I feel extension on both are roughly the same. It depends on the type of music I listen to, but coming from HD800s I kinda prefer FXT90's treble just a hair more. 

Soundstage:
Soundstage for me is generally determined by how 'congested' the headphones sound, so it's hard to really describe in words, but I'll try my best.
JVC wins here. CKM500 like I said before sound a bit bottom heavy, so it creates a more in your face sound to my ears, and ultimately more congested. The soundstage also feels rather lacking depth.  FXT90 is more laid back, my ears are less fatigued during longer listening sessions with these. It also has better timbre for guitar, especially electric. Then I put on the ES3X after not listening to them for half a month, trying to see how much of a big difference customs can make. HOLY COW, I almost forgot how 3 dimensional music can sound out of headphones! I can literally see Elvis on the stage and instruments coming from behind, left, and right of him with pinpoint accuracy. Both CKM500 and JXT90 sound like paper.... Sorry, I kind of got offtrack

Comfort/Ergonomics:
CKM500 have insane microphonics, it's almost unbearable to walk with them (mostly due to the lack of slider after the splitter). The isolation isn't that great either, so I'm hesitant to bring them outside. Comfort is fine, don't really feel them in my ears.

What CKM500 does best, I think are vocal and instrument reproduction. Instruments have a genuine weight and sound to them, and in this regard they even surpasses ES3X and HD800. However, they sound too congested I can't really listen to them for too long without getting tired. For me, having gotten the FXT90s at $99 for 2 pairs, it's a much better deal and I honestly do think they sound better overall for the music I listen to. 

CKM500s are damn beautiful though!
Sorry if my review disappoints
tongue.gif

Thanks for your review. I wouldn't say your review disappoints at all, As a matter of fact you stated a lot of facts about the sound of the CKM500 that were stated by those of us who like the CKM500. So it appears that the IEM is not your preferred sound signature. It's also interesting that you don't care for the CKM500 as much as others you own, but you acknowledge all the bass that are in these IEMs. 

Now, I can see how someone might like the FXT90 over the CKM500 (the JVC is one of my favorite IEMs too), but it should be noted that two FXT90s for $99 is not a standard price for that IEM. You got one incredible deal! I think the price for that IEM has went up recently from around $115 to $150 (without shipping). And it is definitely not fair to compare the CKM500 to a high-end custom.

So, again, I think the review and impressions were good and give many some insight on what these IEMs sound like, but doesn't really give any conclusive evidence if these earphones can compete with $150 to $200 IEMs. In the end, however, it's all subjective anyway. Thanks again for your nice impressions. 

May 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #538 of 1,921
What I don't understand is why everyone is beating up on AT. They had disappointing IEMS and Headphones in the past at times and now they decide to improve upon them. Sure these are a bit overhyped, but nothing is as bad as the ATH-M50 overhyped thread. THe reason these are so hyped is so everyone can see how improved the IEMS are compared to the old set that Audio technica had. Besides, it's 81 frigging dollars, not a bad budget at all for these IEMS. Nice review btw, I think that's what may make me not want to use the ckm500. Congested sounds are a nono for me.

May 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #539 of 1,921
Quote:
I never said there was hardly any bass in them. Don't put words in my mouth, if it's worth saying find the quotation

You know what jarrett, you are correct and I apologize. You didn't say there weren't any bass in the CKM500. This is what you actually stated:

"It's crazy to think the CKM500 is more refined than the GR07 and IMO it doesn't have sub-bass. There is no way the GR07 has harsher highs and there is nothing smooth about the CKM500..."

I got it confused and can admit to my mistake. Regardless of my mistake, however, I don't know how you could state that these don't have any "sub-bass" in them. Really? I hear plenty of sub-bass.

May 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #540 of 1,921
I just ordered a pair after reading through this thread, and I'm curious about one thing: most of you when comparing these to other phones, are comparing them to significantly more expensive ones (for example, just after a quick search I've found the going price of the GR07 and FXT90 to generally be no less than $130 from conventional sources aside from a couple listings here on Head-fi). Considering I've just ordered the CKM500 for around $60, how does it compare to other headphones in THAT price range? That's all I really care about because I never had the budget to be able to even consider picking up a GR07 or FXT90 in the first place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back