The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #542 of 1,921
Quote:
I just ordered a pair after reading through this thread, and I'm curious about one thing: most of you when comparing these to other phones, are comparing them to significantly more expensive ones (for example, just after a quick search I've found the going price of the GR07 and FXT90 to generally be no less than $130 from conventional sources aside from a couple listings here on Head-fi). Considering I've just ordered the CKM500 for around $60, how does it compare to other headphones in THAT price range? That's all I really care about because I never had the budget to be able to even consider picking up a GR07 or FXT90 in the first place!

At $60 it will be one of the best in that price bracket IMO.. The only $60 IEM that I might like a bit better (they don't sound anything alike) is the Audiofly AF45, but I don't think that's out yet (maybe next month).

May 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #543 of 1,921
Quote:
I'm burning Yamahas in addition to CKM500's. Time will tell. Curious to a/b and get a sense of what differences there are. 
redface.gif

I'll be really interested to hear how you feel they compare.

May 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #544 of 1,921
Quote:
I just ordered a pair after reading through this thread, and I'm curious about one thing: most of you when comparing these to other phones, are comparing them to significantly more expensive ones (for example, just after a quick search I've found the going price of the GR07 and FXT90 to generally be no less than $130 from conventional sources aside from a couple listings here on Head-fi). Considering I've just ordered the CKM500 for around $60, how does it compare to other headphones in THAT price range? That's all I really care about because I never had the budget to be able to even consider picking up a GR07 or FXT90 in the first place!

At $60 it will be one of the best in that price bracket IMO.. The only $60 IEM that I might like a bit better (they don't sound anything alike) is the Audiofly AF45, but I don't think that's out yet (maybe next month).

Well, i like them so much that i sold my Sleek Audio SA6's in favor of these. They cost about $200 nowadays. They were $250 when they were first released. I also sold off my AIAIAI TMA-1's which are also in the $200 range when new, but they had a very different sound signature. These CKM's are going to be my main headphone, at least for a little while.

The CKM500 is a very good headphone for the price, i paid about $120 with shipping to get mine. I have the iPhone version and i paid $20 EMS shipping to get them fast. To me they are still worth what i paid for them.

Being that i like them more than the Sleeks and the TMA-1 which both cost more id say they are a real good value if the sound signature suits your tastes. They are a real good in ear, its just a matter of whether they suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

May 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #545 of 1,921
Quote:
Well, i like them so much that i sold my Sleek Audio SA6's in favor of these. They cost about $200 nowadays. They were $250 when they were first released. I also sold off my AIAIAI TMA-1's which are also in the $200 range when new, but they had a very different sound signature. These CKM's are going to be my main headphone, at least for a little while.
The CKM500 is a very good headphone for the price, i paid about $120 with shipping to get mine. I have the iPhone version and i paid $20 EMS shipping to get them fast. To me they are still worth what i paid for them.
Being that i like them more than the Sleeks and the TMA-1 which both cost more id say they are a real good value if the sound signature suits your tastes. They are a real good in ear, its just a matter of whether they suit your needs.

Agreed. Everything is not fore everyone. Glad you like them jasonb. So do I!

May 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #546 of 1,921
Damn Eric, looking at your signature you have or have had a lot of in ears. glad to see you've heard all you have heard and still really like the CKM's.

Quote:

May 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #547 of 1,921
Quote:
Damn Eric, looking at your signature you have or have had a lot of in ears. glad to see you've heard all you have heard and still really like the CKM's.

Thanks jasonb. Or could just want people to buy the CKM500 out of some sort of wicked spite (as some seem to think). Honestly, I really think the CKM500 is one of the best I've heard under $100. But it won't be replacing my W4 or ASG-1.2 anytime soon. And I won't even give up my GR07 or FXT90 for it, but it easily competes with those two to my ears.

May 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #548 of 1,921
Quote:

I'll be really interested to hear how you feel they compare.

One guess beforehand is that CKM500 is probably not as isolated as the Yamaha. Even if they ran head to head, I'd be tempted to maintain the Yamaha in the collection for isolation alone, all else being equal. I commute from time to time in noisy environments.

May 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #550 of 1,921
Quote:

Stop it already! If an earphones measures well enough it is for everyone. There is no subjective in personal listening. Next thing you'll say that taste in music is also personal and subjective. So measure the CKM500 already or we can't rely on anything you say! All under $100 consumer brand earphones need to be measured so that they may coordinate with the stringent regulations that all digital audio players have to measure and sound the same. Oh, and since people will be using these in different environs which will cancel out different frequencies in different amounts and altering the sound you'll need to measure in each of these. Train, bus, car, park, library, city, suburb etc. and be sure to factor in wind and or rain noise. It may take a while so get on it!
smile.gif

BTW, what does the Audiofly sound like if it is so different from the sound of the AT?

Wait a minute. I'm confusing myself. If I can't trust my ears, then what do I listen with? My measurements no longer matter because my ears have turned on me and I can no longer trust them! I cannot hear what the measurements show. UUUUGGGGHHH! Not since that chicken and egg thing have I been so torn. Which came first, the ear or the measurement?

May 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #551 of 1,921
Quote:

Stop it already! If an earphones measures well enough it is for everyone. There is no subjective in personal listening. Next thing you'll say that taste in music is also personal and subjective. So measure the CKM500 already or we can't rely on anything you say! All under $100 consumer brand earphones need to be measured so that they may coordinate with the stringent regulations that all digital audio players have to measure and sound the same. Oh, and since people will be using these in different environs which will cancel out different frequencies in different amounts and altering the sound you'll need to measure in each of these. Train, bus, car, park, library, city, suburb etc. and be sure to factor in wind and or rain noise. It may take a while so get on it!
smile.gif

BTW, what does the Audiofly sound like if it is so different from the sound of the AT?

Wait a minute. I'm confusing myself. If I can't trust my ears, then what do I listen with? My measurements no longer matter because my ears have turned on me and I can no longer trust them! I cannot hear what the measurements show. UUUUGGGGHHH! Not since that chicken and egg thing have I been so torn. Which came first, the ear or the measurement?

LOL.... Silly me @ jant71. Let me get on with the measuring!!...

As for the Audiofly, I can't say too much as they asked me to review all of their products at the same time and I'm still waiting for one to come in. But hmmm? Nice wide soundstage (I think a bit wider than the CKM500) with a rich bass, excellent mids and nice treble. I don't think the Audiofly is as vocally detailed as the AT, but the AF45 has nicer more neutral sound to it as a whole. Notes aren't as thick as they are in the CKM, but the sound is cohesive and detailed. Instruments aren't as jumbled together as in the CKM500 (especially where string instruments are concerned. That is getting better with the AT though).

May 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #552 of 1,921
Quote:

smile.gif

I wrote out a long response telling you that you're an idiot...then I saw the awesome sarcasm behind this post. 

Kudos, sir jant71

120122120747-romney-gingrich-sc-debate-clap-cnn-story-top.jpg

May 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #553 of 1,921
But just think..... you COULD hook up multiple earphones to multiple measuring devices and listen to SO MUCH MORE MUSIC, all at the same time, right?
I mean if it's measured, it's what you hear, right?
blink.gif

Quote:

May 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #554 of 1,921
LOL! 
popcorn.gif

May 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #555 of 1,921
This thread is starting to suck. Can we all stop the bickering and get back to subjective headphone reviewing please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back