The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 11, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #796 of 1,921
Dsnuts, I compared my CKM500 to an RE-262 and see where a higher priced IEM with different tuning competes favorably. I can see owning both and enjoying both. RE-262 puts the mids and vocals front and center and have a liquid kind of sound. It pulses out a bass beat when properly sealed and amped. CKM500 are the bass lover's simple pleasure - plug it into your un-amped source and go.  
smile.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #797 of 1,921
Dsnuts, I compared my CKM500 to an RE-262 and see where a higher priced IEM with different tuning competes favorably. I can see owning both and enjoying both. RE-262 puts the mids and vocals front and center and have a liquid kind of sound. It pulses out a bass beat when properly sealed and amped. CKM500 are the bass lover's simple pleasure - plug it into your un-amped source and go.  
smile.gif

These arent just for bass lovers though. I think they sound great all across the board. Good mids and good highs with loads of detail when plugged into a good source.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #798 of 1,921
I currently have the SE215 - my first IEM. Got them for my Christmas present (to me from me) and have really enjoyed them.... but after six months I want to be unfaithful and try something different.

Are these - CKM500 - on par with the 215? By that are they both apples (just different types) or am I still looking at apples and oranges?

Oh I listen to Classical, Jazz, Vocials etc not so much on the heavier tunes.

Cheers,

Wormwood

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #799 of 1,921
SE215 is a great present and has very nice mids and bass, with decent treble. Enjoy them.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #800 of 1,921
Fielding,

So to "step up" / improve on these where should I look? I don't want to price jump too much more but since I am here I am willing to part with cash.

Put it this way I am not bored with my SE215 - they are awesome but now I have a taste of the wider world.... I want more!

Wormwood

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #801 of 1,921
Your're in the right place. Sorry about your wallet! :)

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #802 of 1,921
Wow I have never heard an headphone improve to this caliber with a simple EQ plug-in. I'm talking about the GR06 and the plug-in TB EZQ.
Without the plug-in they where a whole class below the CKM500. Using it they are now sounding even better then this one.
The gain in detail and clarity with the bonus of  better soundstaging and imaging is the sickest I ever seen. My LCD-2 rev 1 like this plug-in as well but this is another thing all together. DAMN!

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #804 of 1,921
Well, I hate to break it to you fellas, but another IEM is coming on the horizon that is going to give the CKM500 some stiff competition. I got a review sample of the Audiofly AF56 in today (16 ohm like the CKM500, and a 13mm dynamic driver compared to the CKM500's 12.5). 

I have to do a detailed review of all four of the products in the Audiofly line, so I'm not going to say too much here. I will, however, say a few things from first impressions, as I've been comparing these to the CKM500:

- CKM500 probably has about 80 hours burn-in compared to about three hours on the AF56. With that state the Audiofly is very close to the CKM500 quality of sound and quantity of bass.

- The AF56's bass (right now) is not as deep as the CK500, but only slightly behind by a few hairs. Actually the AF56's sound signature is more neutral than the CKM500. Yes, the CKM500 has more sub-bass, but it almost sounds like too much on certain tracks and threatens to reproduce a muddy sound. This never happens with the AF56.

- Vocals are more detailed in the CKM500 and there's more instrument separation, but we're still talking about 80 hours burn-in compared to virtually none, and the AF56 isn't too far behind. The AT IEM is a richer and warmer (darker even) sounding than the AF56. CKM500 has a bit wider of a soundstage.

- The AF56 entire sound spectrum sounds just right and more balanced than the CKM500. The strings in the AF56 are richer, more lush, thicker and more natural in the Audiofly. Treble is extension is about the same with a slight edge going to the CKM500.

- Some of the details that are cancelled out within the CKM500's mids you can hear in the AF56 (again, a more balanced sound). And again, the sub-bass is there and just a tad less heavy than the AT's bass.

It's hard to say which one I like better at this point. When I had the CKM500 in my ears I thought that I liked it better. Then switching to the AF56 I liked it better (again with hardly no burn-in). Different sound signatures indeed (the CKM500 gives a bit of a wider soundstage). Both are comfortable to wear (the design is excellent, especially with the vintage '60s stereo look of the AF56. 

I can say this, I enjoy the AF56 far more than I enjoy Audiofly's top tier IEM, the hybrid AF78. That hybrid, although, not bad, hasn't quite pulled me in. The AF56 retails for about $100, with the CKM500 of course being found for about $80 (once you pay for shipping, or even less). They both compete closer to the $150 IEM market to my ears. I can't wait to hear how these AF56s open up further, but right now they have a sound I can get enough of. Just a nice balanced dynamic driver with very good clarity, nice gorgeous mids, decent treble and great sub-bass (but not too heavy like the CKM500 in the sub-bass area. Yeah, more to consider, sorry fellas, but I don't think the AF56 is out yet (maybe another month?). Half sleep when I typed this. I'll edit it later. Happy listening.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #806 of 1,921
Hmm, I've been struggling with the CKM500.

Something about it is strange. There's something... off. I don't know what it is yet, but I suspect it has to do with the mids.

I am too inexperienced to name what it is -- perhaps "veil" is the word, or lack of detail, or too forward/bright? I don't know.

Even in my A/B comparisons between my CKM500s and Miles Davis Tribs, I can't quite put my finger on what's bothering me, and I can't even say I enjoy my MMDTs more. It's just that there's... something.

Well, I know that's not very helpful, but we'll see. Maybe it will be fixed with some more burn in? It's something in the mids for sure.

That being said, I do think they're pretty good. I just am not sure what it is, there's something weird that I can't put my finger on.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #807 of 1,921
They are here!!! Listening to them right now!
Will post some initial impressions in few hours.
Bass is too strong. The rest seems very good.

HECK! Had to pay 15,28 euros for custom fees!
mad.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #808 of 1,921
Quote:
Ya you are no where near finished with burn in. My method while not scientific by any means works fantastic. I have a dedicated burn in station. It consists of a laptop loaded with the most bass and drum heavy tracks I own. In particular Drum n Bass music which taxes them drivers like no other type of music out there. I have a 5 hour DnB compilation on a loop that just pounds them drivers into submission. On fairly loud volumes I just let it rip. We are talking around 7 to 8 out of 10 max volume wise so fairly loud..Not full blasting either but fairly loud.. After hours of this any earphone or headphone for that matter loosens up nice. This is from another thread but you can use this link as well. http://www.bassdrivearchive.com/flashme/ Try it out works great.

Okay, pounding it right now. The first 8 hours really tamed the bass, even I wished I could get a little bit of bass back. Still I would not say it's lacking right now, just proper amount for me. Based on your posts I also picked up HAFX40s, guess those need a LOT of burning in.
BTW, does anyone take a peek/listen while your iem(s) in the middle of long burn in? Just curious.
Thank Dsnuts for the tips.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #809 of 1,921
Question: Does the bass tame with burn-in?

First impressions:
Well, I have to say that these sound quite well out of the box. And I'm one who has a high end speaker system, and in addition, I had the audeze lcd-2. Now I only have the jvc rx-700-900, which are full-size headphones, and they cost a little less than the ckm-500. I have connected the ckm500 at my audio-gd nfb-10se, which is an all-in-one dac+headamp+speaker pre-amp. It is a mid to high-end gear, which has very little less compared to high-end gears. I had to lower the volume on the nfb-10 rather than just lower the volume on my computer (which is the source, and btw I only listen to lossless audio). In fact, there was some strong background noise by just lowering the computer volume, but by reducing the nfb-10 volume instead, the background noise is just noticeable, but still hearable.

As I've mentioned, the bass is too strong, but it extends quite deep, which is nice. It doesn't make me miss my 2.1 speaker system bass extension, coming from the subwoofer. Of course it's not as linear though. I think the problem of these iems lies in the upper-bass, rather than at the lowest octave. It reminds me the sound of my 2.1 system before I bought the spl meter, which helped me set my speaker system as flat as possible. From memory, the ckm500 do extend as low as the lcd-2, though again not as linear, which is amazing, considering the price of these iems. The jvc-rx700 (or 900) don't extend as deep.

The midrange, especially the lower part of it, is a little too weak. The jvc-rx700 performs noticeably better in this part, making it hard so far to decide for a clear winner. Nevertheless, I think everybody mentioned how these iems change with burn-in, from a v-shaped frequency response, to a more flat one. So I will post my impressions, in particular concerning this matter, after burn-in. If the mid-range boostens up, I think these iems will have a superbous sound.

The highs. I'll start with the negative aspect: they are a little bit too harsh. Again, many said that they are not harsh after burn-in, so I'll wait to give definitive opinion. Yet, they are very airy and extended, definitly airier than the jvc-rx700, which is very positive. So, if they can retain the high extension and airiness, but reduce some of the harshness, I'll be very happy
smily_headphones1.gif
. What I hated the most about the lcd-2 rev.1 was that the sound was too dark. Somebody even wrote on this thread about these iems sound similiar to the hd600 (and the lcd-2 are practically an improved version of the hd600) with more airiness. This is definitly positive. Of course they don't even compare to my speaker system, which mounts true ribbon tweeter (only electrostatic headphones could barely compete in this part).

I don't really seek a good stage. I know that no headphones can compete to my speakers, nevertheless, I don't feel the ckm500 stage too narrow or too centered.

The detail is very good, better than the jvc-rx700.

They are quite uncomfortable to my hears, especially because at the center of the tip they are bigger (hard to explain, but if you see them, you'll probably understand), and it irritated my ears.

To summarize, they offer a very wide-sound thanks to the deep bass in particular, but seem a little bit plastic due to the week mid-range (pre burn-in!!).

Edit: Just read dtomo post, as he wrote it while I was writing mine. Hope the bass will tame to my ears too.

Ah, I LOVE the short cable. The jvc-rx700 long one was really a mess for me. Why make a too long cable when I only need about 1m? The ckm500 one doesn't stay in the way. +1 for it!

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #810 of 1,921
Ah, CYAN captured what I am struggling with in these IEMs:

The mids feel too weak, which result in a "plasticky" feeling, and the highs are too harsh, so I cannot turn up the volume to remedy the problems with the mids.

Hopefully some more burn in will help fix this. My bass has already tamed down after a couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back