The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #827 of 1,921
There are 4 pairs -- I just use numbers to rate them from size 1 (smallest) to 4 (largest).

The ones that come pre-installed on ckm500s are the size 3 ones.

Interesting. The ones that come installed fit fine so i never even looked at the other tips.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #828 of 1,921
Quote:
These earphones have brought me back to the world of Head-Fi... oh dear.

Got these from CDJapan after I recently lost my DBA-02. I must confess, I thought those were going to be the end of my portable audio journey for some time - back then the GR07 hadn't been released, the idea of a 'balanced' dynamic IEM didn't really exist, and to my ears the DBA-02 sounded better on balance than any of the other BAs out there.

Nice to meet another fellow Singaporean Head'fier
wink.gif

I got my pair of CKM500IS from CD Rama (Popular Bookstore) for S$70.20 ...am tempted to try the CKM300 which are selling for S$50 just to see how far off they are to the CKM500.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #829 of 1,921
My overall experience with these is that, at the right volume, the mids and lows are reallllly nice. It's just that the trebles/highs are tooo sharp/bright. Snares and high hats hurt my ears at the volumes that work well for the mids and lows.

The smaller tips fixed the sound problems I was having with the mids/lows, but the sharpness of the highs are still present.

I hope the highs continue to come down!

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #830 of 1,921
Quote:
My overall experience with these is that, at the right volume, the mids and lows are reallllly nice. It's just that the trebles/highs are tooo sharp/bright. Snares and high hats hurt my ears at the volumes that work well for the mids and lows.
The smaller tips fixed the sound problems I was having with the mids/lows, but the sharpness of the highs are still present.
It's kinda sad. I hope it comes down...

I understand your pain as i can "feel" the sharpness of the trebles with them brand new out of the box. The FX40, CKM500 and to a lesser extend, the FX101 hurts on certain tracks.

However I find that they all lose their sharp edges on the highs after 40 to 100 hrs of burning.
I may be wrong on this, but I've a hunch that just as burning with lots of D&B straightens out the low end and extends the sub-bass, burning with lots of snares, high hats, cymbals and aggressive violins will smoothen out the highs and take away the harshness.

The burn cycle on my "running-in" machine
biggrin.gif
 is like one pounding techno track with the snares gone crazy, followed by another pumping techno track with the high hats dueling with the cymbals, followed by a thumping trance with furious voilins then finishing with 10 mins pink noise as a rest period ....repeat.
Thanks goodness the whole contraption is easily shoved into a drawer as the highs can be heard audibly from across the room. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #831 of 1,921
Actually the default tips I had was number 4. Now I've just put size 3. Don't really feel them more comfortable. The bass is very good though. Will try size 2 later on. and see if the bass doesn't get lost. As I've already said, I've tried size 1 too: top comfort, but NO bass.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #832 of 1,921
I see. Don't know why, mine had size 3 ones on at first, I had large discomfort in my left ear especially, I put in size 2 and it's far better comfort. I think the bass might be a little lower, but it's still there.

@Dsnuts: I'll try burning in with some electronic/high heavy music then! We'll see what happens.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #833 of 1,921
Just put size 2. The 3 was still unbearably painful. The bass, though not completely gone as with size 1, is still too weak. The comfort is absolutely ok. Now I feel sad, because I have to choose between good bass (size 3) and comfort...
I think I will have to try to adapt my ear to size 3, as with 2 the bass is definitly not enough.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #835 of 1,921
Mines came equipped with #3 tips. I quickly began test fitting each set for the best comfort. What I found was that with the smallest tips, the CKM500s were able to fit deeper into the ear canal, and thus give a more powerful sound. Though this was the most comfortable for me, the bass was literally rocking my head haha. Almost in a way that there is too much bass. Though I like a lot of bass most of the time, I felt like the bass was kind of overpowering the mids. After switching to a size larger, the #2 tips, the bass had lessened, but the perfect fit had been slightly lost. I sort have a preference to deeper inserted IEMs, as I used my UE Superfi5 pros for a long time, with double flanged tips that would be inserted a bit deeper than the normal tip.

I've burned in the headphones for about 24+hrs now with and without listening. The sibilance has almost completely gone away now, and the bass has tightened up just a bit. I need to run some heavy snare drum music through them now, as I've mostly been playing heavy bass, or vocal tracks through them.

I'm using the CKM500s with my Sansa Clip Zip, ranging from 65 to 80% volume. I didn't rock box this Zip yet, as the last one I rockboxed installed mostly ok. But shortly after installation, the screen had a blue line of dead/frozen pixels going across, vertically. After that debacle I returned it after reformatting the thing, and got a new one. But haven't rock boxed it yet. I was thinking of getting a fiio E17 in the future, maybe when prices stabilize again. Do you guys think it would enhance the audio well, or would it only just add more volume control?

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #837 of 1,921
I finally aced how to swap the tips. Now I can get a job at the Audio Technica factory installing tips.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #838 of 1,921
Do these iems really change from 10 to 80-100 hours of burn-in? I've noticed quite a substantial change from out-of-the-box to 8 hours. But haven't noticed any change from about 8 to 20 hours. Hope they will really improve a lot, because they still need to, especially at the mids, their weak spot so far.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #840 of 1,921
Whats weak about the mids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back