The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Mar 6, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #451 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the exact same mic mod (following in Fragtality's footsteps) and it works great! No Mixamp for me though, unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, Did the photos of the headphones get mirrored somehow? Unless I'm mistaken, the cord comes out of the left can, so that first pic makes it look like it might be backwards (or maybe you just swiveled the mic really quick for the sake of the photo)? I am probably completely wrong and now have to go home and check how I have it setup
tongue_smile.gif

Nope...you are correct....photo shoot mistake. I rotated the mic to the backside, good thing it has that flexibility
smile_phones.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #453 of 827
You, sir, are full of win.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #456 of 827
Perhaps he just spraypainted the grills?

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #457 of 827
Yep, I remember him posting about it on another topic, Don't they look amazing?

Were a friend to get the Ad700, I'd highly recommend painting them.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #458 of 827
yep,i completely stripped the purple with oven cleaner, then use flat black model paint and i removed the foam between the driver and the grills.

they look like this after stripping with oven cleaner (in case anyone was wondering):

cimg7851.jpg

i also (very easily) removed the few dents i had in the grills when they were purple.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #459 of 827
That's pretty cool. They look like the AD-2k!

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #460 of 827
My initial thought was that they had just been repainted but I can't see through to the internals of my own AD700s like that, I guess that's because you removed the foam etc.

Very nice looking mod though, I might try it myself some time.

How does removing the foam affect the sound?

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #461 of 827
yes sir.... i wanted to see if the sound signature changed any, i dont notice any huge differences, maybe a slight increase in the already huge soundstage..

but i'm also not as hardcore as most head-fiers who could actually describe what they're hearing... i'm not sure if it's just time with the headphones (i've had them for probably 2 years or so) or if it's related to the foam, but lately i've noticed that near-sibilant effect with high sounds, cymbals, etc are tamed just a bit.... at high volumes before certain sounds would almost make you wince or blink (hard to explain) but that's gone now.

i never would have messed with it, but i noticed the higher end AT's didnt have/need the foam there, so i figured i'd give it a shot.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #462 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes sir.... i wanted to see if the sound signature changed any, i dont notice any huge differences, maybe a slight increase in the already huge soundstage..

but i'm also not as hardcore as most head-fiers who could actually describe what they're hearing... i'm not sure if it's just time with the headphones (i've had them for probably 2 years or so) or if it's related to the foam, but lately i've noticed that near-sibilant effect with high sounds, cymbals, etc are tamed just a bit.... at high volumes before certain sounds would almost make you wince or blink (hard to explain) but that's gone now.

What's your mic mod, noticed it in your signature.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #463 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your mic mod, noticed it in your signature.

it's still in "temporary" phase right now, i've got a GE mic and a coupler on a small block of wood that is attached by the velcro you can see on the picture with the silver grills.... eventually i'm going to surface mount a mic jack into the cup and recable with some canare or mogami and shorten the cable a little bit.

my sig says i've got k702's but they're really in the mail and on the way here, after that i'll decide if the gaming performance is up to par with the AD700's, and decide if the k702's will be music only, etc.... if the AD700's are still my primary gaming cans i'm going to go ahead and mod them, otherwise i'll probably just recable them.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #464 of 827
this is my current gaming setup, only the grills are obviously black now (and dentless
atsmile.gif
)

cimg7834.jpg

i have a puck soldered onto the mic cable so i can use the cans with yamaha silent cinema + mic, or i can use them with the astro mixamp (dolby headphone) + mic... i actually prefer silent cinema, but with multiplayer gaming the voice mixing of the mixamp is almost a must.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #465 of 827
The right ear goes out if I listen to a sound with a lot of bass or sometimes by just moving it a certain way (like adjusting it). Do you think it would be cheaper to have it fixed or buy a new one? I took the right side apart and didnt see anything wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back