The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Mar 3, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #436 of 827
Pics please.
atsmile.gif

Also, recable with what kind of wire?

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #437 of 827
These are outstanding headphones for the money!

I modified mine for gaming but also use them for TV & Movies.

The soundstage is unbelievable and combined with the Astro Mixamp the directional awareness is unsurpassed.

Headphones1.jpg

Headphones3.jpg

Mixamp1.jpg

Headphonecord1.jpg

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #438 of 827
Why cant they be black!!!

I have a special hatred for gold and purple...and it is pushing me toward the AD900.

And what is with the price of those? Seems to me that I saw them for $225 in early '09...

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #439 of 827
Yeah, even the lower end ones (AD500,400,300) have a decent colour scheme, but they made the AD700 which is the sweet spot in the series have one of the worst looking colour schemes.

But I ended buying one anyway, upgrading from my beyer DT 234 Pro.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #442 of 827
Nice mic there.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #443 of 827
I had a girlfriend who went to LSU, and was not shy about showing her school spirit. And now I cannot stand those colors. Nice girl, but I had enough of that color scheme...

So if I do end up going with the 700, I'm surely going to paint those purple earcup things a metal/gray color, to match the little bit on the top of the post connecting the cup to the frame.

I cannot imagine that AT would not honor the warranty...

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #445 of 827
Interested in the ad700 + zalman mic setup, specifically for xbox 360 gaming. I don't have an amp, and not particularly interested in purchasing one. Will I still enjoy these headphones?

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #446 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine will be here tomorrow. Excited about everything but the colors.

The color grows on you after a while, I like to think of them as steampunk colors. The stock pictures are a bit desaturated in color, probably to make buyers think the purple isn't that bright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by despaiR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interested in the ad700 + zalman mic setup, specifically for xbox 360 gaming. I don't have an amp, and not particularly interested in purchasing one. Will I still enjoy these headphones?

These headphones don't require an amp at all. Enjoy.
atsmile.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #448 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astropin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are outstanding headphones for the money!

I modified mine for gaming but also use them for TV & Movies.

The soundstage is unbelievable and combined with the Astro Mixamp the directional awareness is unsurpassed.

I did the exact same mic mod (following in Fragtality's footsteps) and it works great! No Mixamp for me though, unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, Did the photos of the headphones get mirrored somehow? Unless I'm mistaken, the cord comes out of the left can, so that first pic makes it look like it might be backwards (or maybe you just swiveled the mic really quick for the sake of the photo)? I am probably completely wrong and now have to go home and check how I have it setup
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #449 of 827
just watched LOTR: ROK extended edition with AD700s connected to my Yamaha home theater.. WOW .. it was amazing.. had it for 4hrs straight and no fatigue.. very comfortable and amazing soundstage..

love these headphones..

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #450 of 827
Wow. I'm listening to my new AD700s right now, have been for the last 45 minutes when I ripped open the box from Amazon. The first song I listened to, Empty by Ray LaMontagne, was an eye-opener. Hello, soundstage! Hello, clarity! Hello, stratospheric yet intimate vocals! Hello, air! I've tried a fair number of headphones (nothing incredibly expensive), and these are really the first to give me that "I'm at a concert right now" feel. All the others were closed in and muddy. For reference, my current mainstays are DT990 Pros.
A couple small gripes: the colors will take some getting used to. Fish. Makes me think of fashion designers in Milan or something. Also, the bass doesn't quite have that oomph that I like. Again, this is coming from DT990 Pros. It's well-extended, and has some good attack, though. I'm getting used to it already. And I think the cMoy BB I've got coming will help in the lower end
smily_headphones1.gif
. The verdict: I approve.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back