The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Jan 23, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #407 of 827
While I do enjoy musical acts like Daft Punk/LCD Soundsystem, I would not say that I'm a basshead at all. Although there is something visceral about playing Alive on a high end sound system.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #409 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread died rather quick.

While I do find the bass lean, this is one heck of an open, transparent headphone. The highs seem to extend into the stratosphere. Everything is set in front of your face rather than inside your head. They sound quick yet relaxed. Tonal balance is excellent.

I am puzzled by this soundstage.com review. They found the bass full and deep but the treble rolled off
confused_face_2.gif

SoundStage! "All In Your Head" - Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones (4/2008)

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #410 of 827
'Cuz they're using it wrong, lol.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #412 of 827
I've had mine for a few months now, and MAN DO I LOVE THEM. Their comfort, of course, can't be missed (or should I say, can't be noticed, since I forget about them while watching a movie?).

I listen to 95% classical music, and the soundstage and separation of instruments is incredible. While they may seem lacking in bass to some, for me, this is perfectly fine. I do miss some resonance of the lower instruments (string bass, organ), but I hear them fine.

Two weeks ago, I acquired a NuForce uDAC and with the AD700, it's a match made in heaven. the uDAC has a warm sound signature, and when paired with the AD700, gives it the bit of oomph and warmth that it lacks. Everything is still detailed and crisp, but there's just a fullness to the sound that I didn't have before.

So anyways, there's my love affair with the AD700. I got a pair of M50s a few months after the AD700s, thinking that the sound signature would be the same, but the M50s come off as abit too bassy for my liking, although my friends all prefer it to the AD700.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #413 of 827
Ad700 thread huh? Love it! I think they are the bomb for movies........and a pair of 120 dollar at's (1980) proved the burn in theory for my ears at least, I demoed them at the store and was wowed, bought that pair, and it was not love at first listen. I was pissed, 2 weeks later.........ahhhhhhh there it was, the sound I loved at the audio store. Man I wish I could remember the model, they were great, the first time I truly heard a good soundstage out of a set of cans!

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #414 of 827
022-2.jpg

<3 These are my first pair of audiophile level headphones, and I now get why there is such a big community around these headphones. They are simply amazing, and I've only burned in for around twelve hours, can't wait to hear how the sound evolves over time.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #415 of 827
I debated getting these for a month because of my smaller head. I'm glad I got them. I wear a 7 1/4 size hat and while they are not snug, they are great for sitting at my desk. Wish I would have bought these first. I coulda saved a little money. Has anyone paired these with a udac?

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #416 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric5469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I debated getting these for a month because of my smaller head. I'm glad I got them. I wear a 7 1/4 size hat and while they are not snug, they are great for sitting at my desk. Wish I would have bought these first. I coulda saved a little money. Has anyone paired these with a udac?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had mine for a few months now, and MAN DO I LOVE THEM. Their comfort, of course, can't be missed (or should I say, can't be noticed, since I forget about them while watching a movie?).

I listen to 95% classical music, and the soundstage and separation of instruments is incredible. While they may seem lacking in bass to some, for me, this is perfectly fine. I do miss some resonance of the lower instruments (string bass, organ), but I hear them fine.

Two weeks ago, I acquired a NuForce uDAC and with the AD700, it's a match made in heaven. the uDAC has a warm sound signature, and when paired with the AD700, gives it the bit of oomph and warmth that it lacks. Everything is still detailed and crisp, but there's just a fullness to the sound that I didn't have before.

So anyways, there's my love affair with the AD700. I got a pair of M50s a few months after the AD700s, thinking that the sound signature would be the same, but the M50s come off as abit too bassy for my liking, although my friends all prefer it to the AD700.

=)

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #418 of 827
Is the stock 1/4 to 1/8 adapter good or would you recommend another, like the Grado or Cardas?

I just purchased the ad700 along with the hd595, primarily for gaming, and will be doing an A-B comparison. Since the adapter that comes with the hd595 has received poor reviews - I'm not sure because of sound quality or because it's bulky, heavy and pulls on the jack - I plan on purchasing another, either the hd650 one, Grado, or Cardas, and wondered if I should use the stock ad700 adapter or whichever one I buy.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #420 of 827
I'm having some discomfort with mine after a few hours of use, outer ears may be touching the drivers. The phatpad mod looks interesting, anyone know where I can get appropriate rubber tubing for the job? I'm in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back