The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Jan 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #377 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase but now I want more cans to hear different types of sounds ^_^.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just part of the sickness we all share here at head-fi
tongue_smile.gif

Doom yourself with a pair of Grados. =P

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #378 of 827
Hi Guys,

Been lurking here for awhile. I finally decided that I wanted to jump into the world of high quality audio now that I'm getting a new computer (I mainly game but listen to a lot of music as well). I am no serious audiophile by any means but I still very much appreciate pristine and accurate audio quality (my Dad does music as a hobby and has a very nice speaker set downstairs that I often listen to my music on).

Assuming that Sennheiser is usually a lock for good headphones, I got the Sennheiser PC 350 gaming headset. I figured the brand name and the price equaled instant satisfaction. Boy was I wrong. As you probably all know, they're very mediocre cans. I found my dad's AKG K 240 cans that he bought a few years ago to make music at home in his spare time, and boy they blew the PC 350s out of the water. Rather than attempting the modifications some have made on it by drilling holes into the speakers, I'm returning them today and have ordered the AD700s on several recommendations from people here, foremost due to their soundstage and performance in games for positional audio.

I have read, however, that it is a tad bit lacking in bass. Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting music wise jumping from the AKG 240s? I mainly listen to musical scores (James Horner, Hans Zimmer, Jerry Goldsmith, Bear McCreary), rock (U2, Paramore, +44, Motion CIty Soundtrack, Nirvana, etc.), and classical/piano. So nothing too bass heavy such as hip hop/techno, but there are a few tracks that are bass-based. I figure since you guys are the experts in this regard since you use these cans almost every day, you were the best to ask.

As for gaming, I know I will be pleased since I'm looking for accurate pinpoint positional sound, not necassarily booming bass for explosions
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm planning to use this with an Auzentech X-Fi 7.1 Forte.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #379 of 827
The AD700s have bass, just not the kind of bass that makes the phones thump against your head. You will hear the notes but not necessarily feel them. Personally I don't mind it. I have listened to both hip-hop and techno on my AD700s and still enjoyed it.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #380 of 827
Your sound card will make these sound very nice. The bass will be less than your AKG K240S but as has been said will still be there just not felt. The soundstage will be much bigger than your current HP's and I think the treble and midrange will be slightly better (at the least they are in balance with how the headphone works in regards to soundstage). I suspect you will find some music is way better with the AD700 and other music will be better with your AKG's but as your already aluding to gaming will be better with the AD700 and I suspect if you watch movies they will be better as well.

BTW I wouldn't call the AD700 an upgrade from your AKG, more of a sidegrade. You will also see a huge improvement in your AKG's because of the higher quality soundcard with high impedance headphone amp.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #381 of 827
Dweaver, thank you for the very informative post! I'm now very much looking forward to my Auzentech coming in! The only problem with the AKGs is that they're not mine, I am simply borrowing them until my AD700s coming in, though maybe I can persuade my dad to let me use them every so often
smily_headphones1.gif

I know I'm getting the card first since I ordered it from a Canadian company (AD700s on the other hand are coming from Pennsylvania), so I'll at least get to have some fun with the AKGs for a bit with the new card!

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #382 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by tykell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read, however, that it is a tad bit lacking in bass. Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting music wise jumping from the AKG 240s?

Probably the same since the K240 is bottomless as well.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #383 of 827
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for a set of these but they seemed to be out of stock in everyplace that I have searched
frown.gif
Can you guys pls tell me where I could get them BNIB (my friend demanded this) for around $100?

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #384 of 827
They do seem to have been sold out after Christmas. I got them from Amazon in November for $90 but they've both increased in price and gone out of stock. I think they may actually be end-of-life. I was reading somewhere on here that a new model could be announced soon ... may have just been speculation though.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #385 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by ductrung3993 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for a set of these but they seemed to be out of stock in everyplace that I have searched
frown.gif
Can you guys pls tell me where I could get them BNIB (my friend demanded this) for around $100?

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Guitar Center has them instock from their online store. I guess they don't carry them in store.

How does the bass in these cans compare to the Senn 595? About the same?

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #386 of 827
Just out of curiousity, to AD700 owners who game, do you utilize CMSS-3D/Dolby Headphones while playing?

EDIT: Also, on an off topic note, I got my Auzentech Forte today and am in a whole new world of music now with that combined with my dad's AKGs
atsmile.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #387 of 827
Depends on the game. If I really need positional audio(FPS's mainly) I'll use CMSS3D but it definitely hurts sound quality. RTS, RPG, etc I turn it off to get that good quality back. Hell, if the game doesn't use hardware sound I even put it on entertainment mode for that extra "touch" of quality.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #388 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do seem to have been sold out after Christmas. I got them from Amazon in November for $90 but they've both increased in price and gone out of stock. I think they may actually be end-of-life. I was reading somewhere on here that a new model could be announced soon ... may have just been speculation though.

Much to my dismay, Buy, amazon and others no longer have these. I was going to get one after the new year began, but I feel left out. I see they still have the ad700 on their website. What's a guy to do?

My only hope is that they will release an equivalent or better headphone soon. Where were you reading about them maybe getting a new model soon? I will search.

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #390 of 827
was blessed enough to be able to grab one from amazon for $89. Now the price levels have settled at the three figure mark. IMHO still a good buy at that price level considering the soundstage and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back