The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Nov 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #331 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by infam0ussteven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my pair!

3373799505_2014d6f77e_o.jpg

I have my AD700 plugged straight into my X-FI titanium and then through an amp and then ASIO output to winamp and they sound wonderful, I've tried using these headphones without my sound card and amp and the quality was just decreased dramatically, maybe that's just me but that's my opinion. I hope you become a happy owner of these headphones soon!
darthsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a smaller sized head and did notice the loose feeling with the AD700 but as others have said you get used to it and in the end they are comfortable to wear for long sessions. Having said that I still have to watch if I bend over wearing the AD700 and AD900 as they will start to slide off my head.

If they are really loose you can also use the bend mod that is floating around to help tighten them up a bit.

Thanks all you guys for the precious info, I really appreciate it
k701smile.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #332 of 827
I really wonder if an amp would help these out. When I turn the volume up beyond my acceptable listening level the bass sounds exactly how I expect it too. With this said I wonder if you could somehow power just the low end up these without affecting the higher ends. I know this is basically "EQin" it but when I do that it doesn't sound right.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #333 of 827
some amps are warmer sounding than others, the opamps within the AMP make a huge difference. With my current amp I have two sets of opamps, one is very bright and sharp (to sharp for my AD700/900) the other is much darker and smoother and sounds much better with my HP's.

An amp will seperate the sounds more fully at lower volumes but generally this is all sounds not just bass. It does help alot though and a warm amp will make your AD700 much nicer, you can also get better sound if you have a warmer DAC. Again as an example my sound card is on the bright side and I notice this with my HP's.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #334 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wonder if an amp would help these out. When I turn the volume up beyond my acceptable listening level the bass sounds exactly how I expect it too. With this said I wonder if you could somehow power just the low end up these without affecting the higher ends. I know this is basically "EQin" it but when I do that it doesn't sound right.

What you want is a warm and bassy amp.
Try a Compass =D

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #335 of 827
Source and amps make a difference with these phones contrary to what some people say. I've tried these phones through a cheapy mp3 player, a sansa clip, and and onkyo 605 and an onkyo 805. Oh yeah two different sound cards (xfi extreme music and xfi forte) also. Onkyo 805 and sansa clip give the best sound quality with the 805 edging out the win due to having more amperage(which results in more bass, presence, balance, separation. The clip still sounds a little smoother though. Clip + good neutral/warm amp would be sweet.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #336 of 827
This is interesting.. I think my ad700's developed a little bass over night. I woke up and put them on and was pleasantly surprised that they have a slight bass sound to them now. The only thing I can think of is possible burn in after 3 weeks of solid use. Yet no one within this topic has mentioned this happening to theirs. Anyone else experience something similar to this ?

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #337 of 827
I listened to them for two week solid over 100 hrs and I dint notice any more bass. I noticed a wider soundstage. I have the Shur 840 since Monday and they are much much better. I am boxing the AD700 and returning. They are nice cans but my AKG701 blow them out of the water. When you listen tho the Shure 840 you realize how good extended bass is important for the music to present itself. The Shure are keepers

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #339 of 827
They are extremely comfortable for a closed can. I dad them on for over 12 hours no complaints. They do sound much better with a amp than without. They do play loud on the Ipod touch I have. The Shure IMHO are a big step above the AD700

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #340 of 827
How do you get 12 hours out of any closed headphones? Aren't they inherently going to get hot and sweat ? And an amp right now really isn't an option. I'm constantly moving my headphones from source to source and I'm not about to carry and amp around with me too. So I'd need something easy to push.

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #342 of 827
I love my ATH-AD700 for gaming, It's all I use them for now :p I get called a wallhacker every game and am banned from about 80% of aussie servers on Urban Terror but oh well. Time to move onto COD4 >
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #343 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is interesting.. I think my ad700's developed a little bass over night. I woke up and put them on and was pleasantly surprised that they have a slight bass sound to them now. The only thing I can think of is possible burn in after 3 weeks of solid use. Yet no one within this topic has mentioned this happening to theirs. Anyone else experience something similar to this ?

I have mentioned this multiple times throughout the forum but I guess the posts get buried. The bass does improve but nothing drastic.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #344 of 827
Sorry I haven't said anything necessarily in this thread but yes the AD700 and 900 both need extensive burnin for the bass to come out a bit more, it's a nice increase but as unclepauly mentioned not a dramatic change.

I have to say though I tested out a pair of "bassy" phones and they went back to the shop as the "bass" was just to much for me. It's going to be interesting, I have a pair of ATH CKS70 IEM's coming in and they are supposed to be very bassy but have a good sound stage for an IEM. I'm interested to see if I just don't like boomy midbass vs. bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back