The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #691 of 827

Just finished modding the AD700's with XB700 pads. Fixed the weak bass problem immediately, no joke, but muddied up the mids and uppermost treble. EQ fixed it though!

That is almost the opposite problem to the sound that I have. I find the treble just perfect. I much prefer to have great treble and mid range and bass that is a little weak rather than slightly messed up mid range and treble with good bass.

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #693 of 827
  Just finished a cosmetic/removable cable mod. on my ATH-AD700s.  Turned out pretty nice if I don't say so myself.

What cable do you use now? I thought the quality of the cable on these is about the best I have come across.

I have had my AD700s for over 3 years now. This thread hardly gets any posts so I never know If I would get a reply. I still love the sound of the AD700s. I don't know what other headphones will sound very similar to these but just have a little more bass. I don't want to loose any of that bright sounding treble because that is what I like most about them.

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #694 of 827

What cable do you use now? I thought the quality of the cable on these is about the best I have come across.

I have had my AD700s for over 3 years now. This thread hardly gets any posts so I never know If I would get a reply. I still love the sound of the AD700s. I don't know what other headphones will sound very similar to these but just have a little more bass. I don't want to loose any of that bright sounding treble because that is what I like most about them.

I just re-terminated the original cable which was pretty straight forward.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #697 of 827
I always want to try and listen to these gain but my DT770s win every time, I can stand the lack of bass. I've looked for mods but all I can find usually is people painting them or adding mics. I want SQ mods....bass mods specifically. anyone have any ideas? I know the bass is there its just in the current configuration its nearly impossible to hear. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #698 of 827
I always want to try and listen to these gain but my DT770s win every time, I can stand the lack of bass. I've looked for mods but all I can find usually is people painting them or adding mics. I want SQ mods....bass mods specifically. anyone have any ideas? I know the bass is there its just in the current configuration its nearly impossible to hear. 

There was a mid involving taking some foam out of the earpads but i don't remember how was it done. Maybe you could search for it but i'm nota sure

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #699 of 827

I must just be used to bass light headphones because I can easily hear the bass in these. It is deep, but very lightweight. There are very few songs that I can't follow the bass lines on even when the AD700s are on flat. I would like quite a lot more bass that these have but not a huge amount more. I find the treble just perfect and I wouldn't want it to change at all. If I had any less treble, I would feel like I am missing something. Maybe if I got used to more bass, I could find these more lacking. I just don't understand how the bass is nearly impossible to hear. When I listen to my 2.1 stereo, that has a huge amount more bass but the bass on the AD700s is still definitely noticeable.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #701 of 827
K702 earpads and use double-sided adhesive tape to stick them on.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #702 of 827
I have the Sony MA900 which I really love, but I could get a used AD700 cheaply; is there much difference between the sound of the two headphones? I don't want to have two HPs which basically sound very similar to each other. I also have the HD598 but it sounds a bit boring after listening a lot to the MA900
I would appreciate any helpful (and prompt) advice!
Thanks!

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #703 of 827
  I have the Sony MA900 which I really love, but I could get a used AD700 cheaply; is there much difference between the sound of the two headphones? I don't want to have two HPs which basically sound very similar to each other. I also have the HD598 but it sounds a bit boring after listening a lot to the MA900
I would appreciate any helpful (and prompt) advice!
Thanks!

The two are quite different, rest assured... both are airy headphones, though AD700 are much more brighter at the top register than the MA900 and MA900 has much more midbass body, although both headphones roll off the lowest sub bass. Mids are also more forward in the MA900 where as in AD700 they tend to take a back seat. Soundstage IMO is vertically more "bigger" with the AD700 though MA900 can be just as wide.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #704 of 827

The two are quite different, rest assured... both are airy headphones, though AD700 are much more brighter at the top register than the MA900 and MA900 has much more midbass body, although both headphones roll off the lowest sub bass. Mids are also more forward in the MA900 where as in AD700 they tend to take a back seat. Soundstage IMO is vertically more "bigger" with the AD700 though MA900 can be just as wide.

Thanks,K_19
Unfortunately the AD700s which were on ebay.co.uk (used, of course) have since been snapped up by someone clearly more in the know and less indecisive than me!!
From what you've written, the AD700s might sound a bit like the AKG K702, which I tried recently but found very hard to listen to and realised that without spending a lot more on a headphone amp than my little Topping NX1 would never sound "right" to my ears - mind you, they sounded great when listening to Flora Purim's "Crystal Silence" (even on youtube!!)
Do they lean more towards a K702 SQ?
Thanks again!

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #705 of 827
Thanks,K_19
Unfortunately the AD700s which were on ebay.co.uk (used, of course) have since been snapped up by someone clearly more in the know and less indecisive than me!!
From what you've written, the AD700s might sound a bit like the AKG K702, which I tried recently but found very hard to listen to and realised that without spending a lot more on a headphone amp than my little Topping NX1 would never sound "right" to my ears - mind you, they sounded great when listening to Flora Purim's "Crystal Silence" (even on youtube!!)
Do they lean more towards a K702 SQ?
Thanks again!

From what I have seen, the K702 have more laid back treble than the AD700s. They do have more bass though. If I was to get another pair of open-backed headphones, I would want a very similar amount of treble to what my AD700s have. I think that the AD700x or even better, the AD900x witll both be good options. From what I have read, they do sound just a little better that the AD700s but the build quality is a bit of a let down. The quality of the cvable on the AD700s is so good. A very solid metal end where the 3.5mm jack is. The AD700Xs look to have a thned and cheaper looking cable and the jack at the end looks like it is only surrounded by rubber. I thought my AD700s were a little too light weight for theier but the AD700xs are lighter still which makes me think they may be a little cheaply made. That won't affect the quality of the sound at all though so they may be worthit if you don't come across more second hand AD700s.
Almost every time I listen to anything other that my AD700s, I just feel like turning the treble up a bit. I just really like that bright and pin sharp soundstage they have. I think the K702s have a really good soundstage too, much better bass but just not quite as much treble. I think my next pair of open back headphones will be from the ATH-AD range from Audio Tecnica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back