The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #8,793 of 9,131
I already ordered the massdrop noble kaiser 10 that I'm waiting on.

You may hear an uptick in the bass from these. I have a Red Wine Audio modified AK240 and Nobles, and although the modification adds more umph to the low end, even unmodified the Nobles do a really great job with solid (but not booming) bass compared to my experience with the Shure line. However, my guess is it may be subtle to you. If you want to further warm things up, which may also impact the bass heft, you could add a nice all-copper aftermarket cable to the Nobles. Again, a very subtle change, but when you pile all the small changes together you may be closer to what you're after.

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #8,794 of 9,131
You may hear an uptick in the bass from these. I have a Red Wine Audio modified AK240 and Nobles, and although the modification adds more umph to the low end, even unmodified the Nobles do a really great job with solid (but not booming) bass compared to my experience with the Shure line. However, my guess is it may be subtle to you. If you want to further warm things up, which may also impact the bass heft, you could add a nice all-copper aftermarket cable to the Nobles. Again, a very subtle change, but when you pile all the small changes together you may be closer to what you're after.

Sounds good. I was going to get a set of silver cables from headphone lounge for the shures, but if I wind up liking the nobles more than I'll get the coppers for them. Definitely not keeping both headsets.

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #8,795 of 9,131
Sounds good. I was going to get a set of silver cables from headphone lounge for the shures, but if I wind up liking the nobles more than I'll get the coppers for them. Definitely not keeping both headsets.

Wise. Silver cables made a huge improvement to my Shures, but silver on my Nobles brought more of the highs than I wanted and tightened the bass. Really like my current cable, which is a Cu-AG-AU from Plussound; perfect for what I'm after and works nicely with the rest of my rig. Listening to Khruangbin this morning and I'm lost in it--sweet, effortless, not thinking about the gear at all.

Good luck with your cable search!

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #8,796 of 9,131
Wise. Silver cables made a huge improvement to my Shures, but silver on my Nobles brought more of the highs than I wanted and tightened the bass. Really like my current cable, which is a Cu-AG-AU from Plussound; perfect for what I'm after and works nicely with the rest of my rig. Listening to Khruangbin this morning and I'm lost in it--sweet, effortless, not thinking about the gear at all.

Good luck with your cable search!

I never heard of the group before, just looked them up, nice music! The one I listed to reminds of a song I usually get lost in, which is Jubel by Klingade.

May 2, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #8,797 of 9,131
If anyone is considering buying 2 400gb sd cards, filling them up then swapping cards when needed, doing it properly of course, don't bother. The AK240 doesn't like that in the least and will format the card at the drop of a hat or say it's damaged. I speak from experience, don't try this it won't work. I guess common sense would say that trying to interchange nearly 800gb worth of music on a portable device is a recipe for disaster but live and learn. At least now my phone has a shiny new 400gb card in addition to the 400+256 of the AK.

May 2, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #8,798 of 9,131
If anyone is considering buying 2 400gb sd cards, filling them up then swapping cards when needed, doing it properly of course, don't bother. The AK240 doesn't like that in the least and will format the card at the drop of a hat or say it's damaged. I speak from experience, don't try this it won't work. I guess common sense would say that trying to interchange nearly 800gb worth of music on a portable device is a recipe for disaster but live and learn. At least now my phone has a shiny new 400gb card in addition to the 400+256 of the AK.
Thanks for your advise, this is a thing to remember before spending our money on to many cards!

May 28, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #8,801 of 9,131
Tested Astell&Kern AK240

Headphone AMPs (or as a headphone amplifiers)
Simple test reports for "dummies":
Unbalance
Balance
Professional tests report:
Unbalance
Balance
Linear output (or as a linear output)
Professional test report

On-line comparison services with Astell&Kern AK240

Comparison of change the frequency response of joint work of Astell&Kern AK240 with different headphones

Comparison of amplifier voltage and headphone sensitivity for optimal sound playing

Comparison of voltage graphs

Comparison of characteristics:
Unbalance
Balance

Volume comparison:
Unbalance
Balance

Astell&Kern AK240 included in list for headphones match to headphones for certain listening conditions:
Unbalance
Balance

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #8,804 of 9,131
I still keep the AK240 although now I have the SP1000Cu. SP1000Cu is just impeccable as far as IEM listening goes, but AK240 is still the best DAP in terms of form factor / sound quality balance to me. There were subsequent AK players with good form factor, including the current SR15, but none of them matches AK240 in terms of sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back