The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 15, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #8,626 of 9,131
  Hate to say it but I have no "real" problems with it.  I can transfer folders with no issue to the player from my iMac.  Are you folks trying to move many many folders at one time?  Don't.  Just pull over one or a few at a time.  I've got maybe 125gb on my internal and 120gb on my 200gb card.  I pulled about six-eight folders at a time over when I bought my 240SS with no issues.  It barfed when I tried to move the entire Music folder, so I just worked my way through all of them.  Took about 3-4 hours for 125gb.  I have no issues with my card plugged into the device for normal transfers.  I did use a card reader when I migrated over to the 240SS from my 120ll.  

If you have issues try a couple of things.  Restart the Mac.  Make sure you are using the supplied AK USB cord.  Organize your stuff so it goes in smoothly.  Mine is in folders by Artist with individual albums nested inside them.  

I do get the occasional barf, but unplugging and replugging the AK is all I have to do.  I can transfer an album of FLAC (700mb) in a couple of minutes.  A two gb hi-res folder might take a bit more than four minutes.  

Im trying to load 6000 songs... which is beyond tedious. Try the newer version of AFT and see if its better for you next time.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #8,627 of 9,131
Not saying 3-4 hours isn't tedious, but it does work.  I may try the other app, but as I said the free one does work for me.  It rarely crashes and the only issue I really have with it is that Mac Updates don't auto install because it interferes somehow with the process.  

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #8,628 of 9,131
  Not saying 3-4 hours isn't tedious, but it does work.  I may try the other app, but as I said the free one does work for me.  It rarely crashes and the only issue I really have with it is that Mac Updates don't auto install because it interferes somehow with the process.  

What used to be drive me crazy is, sometimes AFT would work flawlessly for many transfer session, until mysteriously it would stop. It would create empty directories (folders) on the 240, that you would have to find, because AFT couldn't rewrite over them and would just report errors. Most of the annoyances, I've forgotten because I moved on from AFT but it just got to the point where, jumping through hoops to figure out what offended AFT this time, became a PITA. I'm just surprised that who ever wrote AFT 1.0 in 2012, decided it was a job well done and perfect. I'm also surprised that AK/iRiver decided to adopt AFT as the portal for their Flagship. My Calyx M also used AFT and again it was, sometimes yes - sometimes no, so I can't blame the 240 as being temperamental.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #8,629 of 9,131

What used to be drive me crazy is, sometimes AFT would work flawlessly for many transfer session, until mysteriously it would stop. It would create empty directories (folders) on the 240, that you would have to find, because AFT couldn't rewrite over them and would just report errors. Most of the annoyances, I've forgotten because I moved on from AFT but it just got to the point where, jumping through hoops to figure out what offended AFT this time, became a PITA. I'm just surprised that who ever wrote AFT 1.0 in 2012, decided it was a job well done and perfect. I'm also surprised that AK/iRiver decided to adopt AFT as the portal for their Flagship. My Calyx M also used AFT and again it was, sometimes yes - sometimes no, so I can't blame the 240 as being temperamental.

I was thinking of buying this for I'll pass, stay with DX80.
If you feel the firmware issues are not a problem at the price A&K charge for the 240AK then you have a lot of money.
Oh well I'll just wait
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #8,630 of 9,131
I was thinking of buying this for I'll pass, stay with DX80.
If you feel the firmware issues are not a problem at the price A&K charge for the 240AK then you have a lot of money.
Oh well I'll just wait:D

Out of the four DAPs that I currently own and the one I gave away, the AK240 is the only one that I would consider the FW to be almost perfect. It does everything intuitively and predictably. The only thing that used to work flawlessly but now doesn't, is the DAC function. The Android File Transfer app is a POS, IMO, but some users seem to have success using it and that was the point I was making in my post.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #8,631 of 9,131
AK firmware is the best I've used.  I had a DX50 and wasn't especially thrilled with the firmware on it.  I have no real issues with AFT, if you play nice with it it plays nice with you (for the most part, but anything on a computer can be hinky at times).  I recently bought Commander One, which is a Mac Finder interface that also does what AFT does, and it seems to work even better.   I see no reason not to upgrade to a 120ll if the only issue for you is fear of the AFT.   

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #8,632 of 9,131
  I recently bought Commander One, which is a Mac Finder interface that also does what AFT does, and it seems to work even better.    

I took this advice about six months ago, from another post. All my AK file transfer nightmares went away immediately and have not returned. If you're going to invest in an AK (and there are many good reasons to do so), it's worth a little money to get Commander One. Makes owning an AK that much more effortless.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #8,633 of 9,131
I had a few issues with the folks at Commander- I never got an activation code, but they happily responded that they had received my money.  After a few fruitless days of contacting all of their support #s, I finally opened a PayPal complaint and let them know I did so.  Got an email and a code the next day.  And no, it didn't go in my spam box.  It also didn't show up on their site when I registered and tried to access it that way.  But oh well.  It works fine.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #8,634 of 9,131
I have ripped over 200GB of CD's in FLAC to my 240 with zero issues.  Not a single issue.  Nada.  I'm guessing this is 350 or so CDs.

I use the AK ripper.  It has been awesome.  One very minor complaint is sometimes Gracenotes misses the art work.  

Deleting music from the 240 is a piece of cake also.  I hook my 240 to my laptop, open the 240 folder which suddenly appears when I plug the usb in, open the ripped CDs folder, select the album I want to delete, then delete.  It deletes it from my 240.  I then disconnect the usb and reinitialize the media on my 240 for good measure.

I also wish the AK put the ripped albums in artist-album name order, rather than by just album name order when looking at the AK folders on my laptop.  But another very minor issue.

IMO, for my use, the AK Ripper is an excellent piece of gear.  Ripping CDs is so easy.  But I don't download music.  I still buy CDs.  Just a personal preference sort of thing for me.  Everything on my AK240 is ripped CDs (other than the few samples which came with the 240) so maybe my use case is not the norm.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #8,635 of 9,131
Hi all - I am having some problems transfering some podcasts in m4a format to my A&K 120 II (doesn't seem to be a thread for the 120 mk II). Has anyone else had similar problems and been able to solve them?

They are 1 hour long podcasts in m4a, no cue points.

Getting them to play seems hit and miss as I download different ones. At best they play but I cannot go forward or backwards within the track..

At worst, they don't show on the available albums to play and I have to find the folder, then when trying to play them it pauses and says "Playback unavailable, song removed" followed by "Too many unsupported files, Exiting Music Player".

Could it be a fault with the m4a encoding by the people behind this podcast? They play absolutely fine via the web and the downloaded tracks are fine on my PC.

I guess I will attempt to get around it by changing format but with 250 odd podcasts I'd like to put on an SD card... that will be a big task!

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #8,637 of 9,131
I saw that too, and wife gave the go-head to purchase as a gift to myself for a new job :) 

I also purchased the Senn HD800s. I'm dig'in the combo.

Are you using the HD800s balanced?

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #8,639 of 9,131
Not at the moment. The balanced 4-pin to 2.5mm adapter has not arrived yet. Hopefully I will receive it in a week or so.

Thanks, still haven't taken the plunge just yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back