The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 26, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,991 of 9,131
Riddle me this.
If there is a burn in fairy why does it always get better.
As caps do change tolerance slightly this happens over years not hours. Mostly what does take place is in our brains adapting to the new sound and as it gets better at doing the sound scape changes. It's better because it has more information to lend us our judgement
I can better understand the battery getting better after a few cycles and also the unit getting warm as this is where devices are best measured.
My two shekels

Warm up is a good point. Some dac/clocks apparently take some warm up time to sound their best and this is a measurable difference. I wonder if this is playing a factor in impressions here?

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #6,992 of 9,131
It turns out that the weakest AK240SS link (the 2.5 mm balanced out) is a deal breaker for me. Even the Ted Allen cables cut out at times.  I was surprised that a product this expensive has such a crappy balanced output. It is getting sent back today.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #6,993 of 9,131
  It turns out that the weakest AK240SS link (the 2.5 mm balanced out) is a deal breaker for me. Even the Ted Allen cables cut out at times.  I was surprised that a product this expensive has such a crappy balanced output. It is getting sent back today.

I have no issues with the 2.5 mm balanced out with the SS, i had issues with the RWAK. The volume wheel with the SS works perfectly too, i had massive issues with volume control on the RWAK. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,994 of 9,131
It's far more fesable then burn in. Although most swear to it. I do know we cannot measure the subtle differences we hear. Some can be but some cannot.
Like the tesukts of red book and hi Rez it's there both ways. But two headphones both with the same freq curve and sounding very different. There is plenty going in we just do not know.
On the ps audio forums they just released a new firmware making the dac very different then before but it measures about the same
It's just crazy how complex our hearing must be

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #6,995 of 9,131
In all serious, I do believe and appreciate all the experts here on their impressions on SS versus RWA versus stock. My stock AK240 arrives tomorrow and it's not too late to swap for an SS without penalty. So I've tried to rationalize in my head why there seems to be such a increase in SQ. So far I think:

1) For certain the case is SS and it has different characteristics as aluminum, but can it really make that big of difference? I personally don't think so.

2) AK's official product page specifically states "no internal changes or firmware changes". Yet, some have hypothesized that internals were changed which would be a more reasonable explanation than just the using a SS case. But then why would AK mislead us and risk tarnishing their brand on a very expensive item?

So what do you guys think more likely? It's all about the case? or AK is not being honest for fear of a potential fire sale on stock AK240? I am guessing the later.

Here's one interesting tidbit tha I can share - I purchased a AK240 bundle on Amazon that is below MSRP so that may be an indication that fire sale is forth coming. There is no such discount for SS. Here is the link the the stock bundle:

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK240-Mastering-Connection/dp/B00K3SXRNG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427393131&sr=8-2&keywords=ak240

There is a decent SS bundle which is what I am tempted to exchange for, but price is above MSRP, but you get more "free" stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-Resolution-ExtremeAudio-Connection/dp/B00UQW3C8Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427393335&sr=8-2&keywords=ak240ss

So, is this "upgrade" worth $900 more from what I paid? or should I be happy on a great deal on the stock AK240. I'm feeling the latter and use the dollars on a TOTL balanced amp pairing.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #6,996 of 9,131
In all serious, I do believe and appreciate all the experts here on their impressions on SS versus RWA versus stock. My stock AK240 arrives tomorrow and it's not too late to swap for an SS without penalty. So I've tried to rationalize in my head why there seems to be such a increase in SQ. So far I think:

1) For certain the case is SS and it has different characteristics as aluminum, but can it really make that big of difference? I personally don't think so.

2) AK's official product page specifically states "no internal changes or firmware changes". Yet, some have hypothesized that internals were changed which would be a more reasonable explanation than just the using a SS case. But then why would AK mislead us and risk tarnishing their brand on a very expensive item?

So what do you guys think more likely? It's all about the case? or AK is not being honest for fear of a potential fire sale on stock AK240? I am guessing the later.

Here's one interesting tidbit tha I can share - I purchased a AK240 bundle on Amazon that is below MSRP so that may be an indication that fire sale is forth coming. There is no such discount for SS. Here is the link the the stock bundle:

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK240-Mastering-Connection/dp/B00K3SXRNG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427393131&sr=8-2&keywords=ak240

There is a decent SS bundle which is what I am tempted to exchange for, but price is above MSRP, but you get more "free" stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-Resolution-ExtremeAudio-Connection/dp/B00UQW3C8Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427393335&sr=8-2&keywords=ak240ss

So, is this "upgrade" worth $900 more from what I paid? or should I be happy on a great deal on the stock AK240. I'm feeling the latter and use the dollars on a TOTL balanced amp pairing.

I'd stick with the stock version at this point. The 240 is already a year old and the SS version just strikes me as a way to sell additional 240's before a new model (update) release. I saw the same deals you linked to at Amazon and I'll admit I was tempted. I've ordered the Sony ZX2 and I'm going to give that a try as it seems to better suit my personal needs but I'm still interested in the 240 if it doesn't work out. At more than twice as much for the SS 240 over the Sony I'll wait a month or two just to see if AK has something new up their sleeves. I also agree that steep drop scouts may be on the horizon as the personal player market heats up.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #6,997 of 9,131
I'd stick with the stock version at this point. The 240 is already a year old and the SS version just strikes me as a way to sell additional 240's before a new model (update) release. I saw the same deals you linked to at Amazon and I'll admit I was tempted. I've ordered the Sony ZX2 and I'm going to give that a try as it seems to better suit my personal needs but I'm still interested in the 240 if it doesn't work out. At more than twice as much for the SS 240 over the Sony I'll wait a month or two just to see if AK has something new up their sleeves. I also agree that steep drop scouts may be on the horizon as the personal player market heats up.

I think you are right.

The Sony is pretty compelling too. While SQ will always be a source of debate, one cannot deny the battery life, form factor, and a full Android OS. Certainly price is really attractive (relatively speaking). Heck, with the $900 I just saved I may just get the ZX2! This is how audiophile financial logic works right? The best part about the Sony? Just tell the spouse it's a new phone for work.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #6,998 of 9,131

Good points, and please let us know how the Sony compares when you have a chance.  On another note, I'm seeing used AK240's going for as low as $1600.  I've never had a problem buying used.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #6,999 of 9,131
LOL, was checking on my shipment status on Amazon and I see that our fellow Head-Fi'ers have cleaned out the $2200 bundle for the stock AK240! Seeing how the Sandisk 128 GB card by itself is $100, makes it a sweet deal indeed.

I will be pairing up with an ALO MKIII B+ amp I got from ALO warehouse sale for the next 4-6 months before I void my remaining warranty and get the RWAK240+ mod. But if I like this combo, I may just leave everything stock for a bit longer. Will be listening to red book ALAC files through Beyer T5P primarily and SE846 sans ALO amp on the go. All my cables have been changed to BO. Only thing I see in the near horizon is planar headphone but that's about it. No chance I can use open cans in my house.

Enjoy guys!

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #7,000 of 9,131

Good points, and please let us know how the Sony compares when you have a chance.  On another note, I'm seeing used AK240's going for as low as $1600.  I've never had a problem buying used.

I won't have an immediate opportunity to compare the Sony ZX2 with the AK 240 but this comparison review may be of interest if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #7,001 of 9,131

I have no issues with the 2.5 mm balanced out with the SS, i had issues with the RWAK. The volume wheel with the SS works perfectly too, i had massive issues with volume control on the RWAK. 

I've definitely got the 2.5mm problem. I'm going back to 3.5mm and giving it a spin, but I would be willing at this stage to say "do not buy this player if you intend to use the 2.5mm jack." I have been exceptionally careful with two examples and tried numerous 2.5mm connectors and the connectivity is just junk. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #7,002 of 9,131
I have used 2 240's and have used a balanced cable with my shure 846's and had no problem at all with either of them..thus far they have both functioned flawlessly

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #7,003 of 9,131

I've definitely got the 2.5mm problem. I'm going back to 3.5mm and giving it a spin, but I would be willing at this stage to say "do not buy this player if you intend to use the 2.5mm jack." I have been exceptionally careful with two examples and tried numerous 2.5mm connectors and the connectivity is just junk. 

I have problems with my 2.5. It will cut out if I move it around. Frustrating. If I keep it still it is ok but this is a portable. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #7,004 of 9,131

I have problems with my 2.5. It will cut out if I move it around. Frustrating. If I keep it still it is ok but this is a portable. 

there was a batch of AK240's that have this issue...and unfortunately i got one of them.....getting my new replacement AK gold next week.
at least, their customer service is awesome, responsive and efficient.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #7,005 of 9,131
On 2.5mm TRRS, I was kind of lucky that there was not a single problem over a couple of months of usage after I DIY my Tralucent Audio Uber cable to 2.5mm balanced.  I had re-terminated it back to 3.5mm as this allows me to use my phones/cable with my amps & Tera Player. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back