The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #6,691 of 9,131
  It's common knowledge that bluetooth is not a strong point for the 240. Excerpt from manual: 

Maintain a distance of 20 cm (8 in) between the AK240 and the paired Bluetooth device. Audio quality will degrade with longer distances, and the pairing may disconnect at a distance of 2 m (6.5 ft). (Distances may vary depending on the device and environment) Crosstalk may occur while using Bluetooth.

Hmm.True.Thanks for the information.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #6,692 of 9,131
If you don't expect top sound quality, the BT in the AK240 works fine. I had it working in my Audi for a while and it didn't drop the sound even once for months. Then I found a wired connector to the car and now only use BT for remote control.

Also useful to play to BT exercise headsets.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #6,694 of 9,131
Doesn't work for me and I have Qobuz account. AK app is for downloading purchases not streaming as far as my experience goes.

can someone confirm this ? If this is confirmed, then it is VERY DISAPOINTING !  I was under the impression that QOBUZ streaming was supported through AK240.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #6,695 of 9,131
can someone confirm this ? If this is confirmed, then it is VERY DISAPOINTING !  I was under the impression that QOBUZ streaming was supported through AK240.

Hello,
I unfortunately do confirm.
The Qobuz app only give you the ability to...
- download what you bought
- listen extract of proposed new content to buy (not full catalog) and add it to your basket (and then you have to use your computer to finalize the purchase)
- listen the complete song in streaming if you have a streaming subscription instead of the extract but, again, only their proposals, not full catalog, and only one song (means the AK240 will go back to the main page after the song played = you can't listen the complete album)

I'm really disappointed because I wanted to use my AK to listen to many various music in the best quality we could get in streaming and then only buy the albums I wanted to keep with me in HD. Their Qobuz 'Sublime' offer would have been a perfect fit if we could have the ability to stream over the complete Qobuz catalog.

As of today, but I hope to be wrong, they won't spend effort on this because AK users are too few... Very pity ! Especially when we know they already provided an IOS and Android mobile app (and AK is android based...)

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #6,696 of 9,131
S.H.A.M.E. on them !

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,697 of 9,131
Hello,
I unfortunately do confirm.
The Qobuz app only give you the ability to...
- download what you bought
- listen extract of proposed new content to buy (not full catalog) and add it to your basket (and then you have to use your computer to finalize the purchase)
- listen the complete song in streaming if you have a streaming subscription instead of the extract but, again, only their proposals, not full catalog, and only one song (means the AK240 will go back to the main page after the song played = you can't listen the complete album)

I'm really disappointed because I wanted to use my AK to listen to many various music in the best quality we could get in streaming and then only buy the albums I wanted to keep with me in HD. Their Qobuz 'Sublime' offer would have been a perfect fit if we could have the ability to stream over the complete Qobuz catalog.

As of today, but I hope to be wrong, they won't spend effort on this because AK users are too few... Very pity ! Especially when we know they already provided an IOS and Android mobile app (and AK is android based...)

I have Qobuz Sublime annual and went to Bristol to ask this question regarding the AK app and Qobuz. They showed me the app with their account.

I know because they were both pushing for my support as a customer, but could not say if the app would be further developed.

AK stand explained that it is Qobuz that created the app and not AK and the very helpful chap at Qobuz told me they 'could' develop further but could not say for sure.

I believe Qobuz are in hot dev mode with the redesigned website etc, so I cannot see that the AK app will be a priority, however much I hoped that it would be.

It seems its a very cut down version of android and so its more involved development, from what I understood.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #6,698 of 9,131
For 15K to purchase the AK 5000 - I would rather hire a third party, grab a few of my friends for additional capital and have them design an app that would communicate the MQS server to the Tidal content. This really is a shame because as a company, if the economics dont work, there is no push to develop online streaming content to the AK products. Saying they are working on it for the last 8 months means nothing, At least Sonos did it, hats off to them.. I am prob going to sell my AK 240 and wait till some of the new portable players come out and support lossless music. Might as well sell it now while its still worth something. 

Better yet, somebody could make a high end DAC player for your android that attaches like an extra battery case and push the streaming content through the phone. I think Iphone has something like this on Kickstarter. I wish I had the time to make a head start on a project like this

It just seems like everyone wants this and when people ask these companies, Tidal points at Astell and Astell points at Tidal - its just not going to happen in my opinion. I think it would of already happened. they (someone) will come out with a new product that offers it. 

I think it would be a good idea, make a DAC phone case, like a extra life battery that fit into your phone, high end, $2000-$2500 and and think of all of the uses and seamless integration and functionality you could offer. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #6,699 of 9,131

Better yet, somebody could make a high end DAC player for your android that attaches like an extra battery case and push the streaming content through the phone. I think Iphone has something like this on Kickstarter. I wish I had the time to make a head start on a project like this

Sony ZX2 ?  It is Android, so you can run on it QOBUZ or TIDAL !

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #6,701 of 9,131
S.H.A.M.E. on them !

There may be a quick and easy solution for us to use all streaming service (Deezer, Spotify, Qobuz, Tydal...) : connect the AK240 to an iDevice (iPhone, iPad)
This is what the AK10 does ; this is what the Hugo does as well (using iPhone Camera connector)
We could then stream from our iDevice and enjoy our AK240 DAC !
Does anyone tried with the official Apple Camera connector ?
Thanks

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #6,702 of 9,131
No it does not work
I says the device draws too much power
I tried this on my iohne 6 plus and my iPhone 5

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #6,704 of 9,131
  The impressions on enjoythemusic.com says AK240 is better sonically though...

Not really, though the author says he will do an comparison when he gets home from Singapore.  He does like it better than 120II, though.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #6,705 of 9,131
I connect my AK240 to my Galaxy S5 and it works fine, by using the DAC out option on the interface menu but its alot of gear, battery management, strapping them together and not really streamlined as one unit the way I wish it was, Its just one miore thing to worry about, wires, adapters buttons, setting etc....

Has anyone listened to the new sony DAC and AK240 together - Is the AK 240 that much better? I suppose that an objective question but anyone have opinions on both?

Thanks in advance everyone,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back