The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #6,286 of 9,131
Thanks a lot Burtomr,

I was initially gonna go with just something from moon audio like this (http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cables/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v3-extension-adapter-cable.html) , but wouldn't mind giving Ted a try.

Which lead do you recommend from Ted? This (http://headphonelounge.com/silver-iem-cables/) or this (http://headphonelounge.com/silver-headphone-cables/) and which one would you recommend for the purpose of fitting the TRRS 2.5mm plug to a 1/4 inch hi fi system (which I doubt is balanced)

Again thanks for the help,
Thunder

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #6,287 of 9,131
Thanks Burtomr,

I was initially thinking of moon audios cable.

Just wondering what you would recommend from the headphonelounge - The iem or the headphone cable and if so which one? Are they superior to Moon Audio's silver cable in any particular way? Should I go for the Reference Litz (stated to be 24AWG 40 strands) or the Standard (24 AWG 40 stranded wire) as specs wise both seem the same, or do you recommend any other option.

Thanks again

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #6,288 of 9,131
Also was wondering whether to get the Fostex with a direct 2.5 TRRS end terminal or to get it terminated as a Furtek mini XLR which opens up the option of using other cable ends down the track with two disadvantages i can see - a) You will still have the bottleneck as the silverdragon cable from the headphone to the Furtek mini XLR and b) connecting to other systems is not a big deal as you can simply buy an adaptor converting the 2.5 TRRS to other systems which seems to be a more cost effective option. Just wondering if you had any advice on this?

Thanks

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #6,290 of 9,131
I have spent about 1500 woth him many cables custom for me. He understands the needs of this hobby very well. A great guy to talk to as well as do business with. A far shorter time to have your item completed and shipped. Why wait weeks when he ships much sooner. Also price wise there is no one I know that gives the quality he does at his prices.

Ted deserves the huge business he does.
Al

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #6,291 of 9,131
I have spent about 1500 woth him many cables custom for me. He understands the needs of this hobby very well. A great guy to talk to as well as do business with. A far shorter time to have your item completed and shipped. Why wait weeks when he ships much sooner. Also price wise there is no one I know that gives the quality he does at his prices.

Al

I agree, he's just a great guy to work with and he honors his word. I purchased all of my AK units (100, 120, 240) from him.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #6,292 of 9,131
I keep forgetting that. Me too he turned me onto the AK 120 and so on
Al

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #6,293 of 9,131
Just from rave [COLOR=0000FF]reviews[/COLOR] here at HeadFi and my personal experience of his customer service and his willingness to create what ever you want cable wise with his considerable skills.

I purchased balanced cables from moon audio for my ak240. They did not connect to the plug reliably. Sound would loose channel now and then. When I asked if they could exchange the cable the person who responded said that the problem was with the type of plug used by ak and that there was no point in swapping the cable. As a result I went back to my regular cables. Nowhere on their site was there any such warning. I would not recommend buying the moon audio balanced cable because of this problem. Others have reported no such problem with other providers.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #6,294 of 9,131

Al

+1

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #6,295 of 9,131
I purchased balanced cables from moon audio for my ak240. They did not connect to the plug reliably. Sound would loose channel now and then. When I asked if they could exchange the cable the person who responded said that the problem was with the type of plug used by ak and that there was no point in swapping the cable. As a result I went back to my regular cables. Nowhere on their site was there any such warning. I would not recommend buying the moon audio balanced cable because of this problem. Others have reported no such problem with other providers.

What you're saying is understood but I can also see where he is coming from as well...Being a player of this caliber and performance you would expect or should I say should expect more in terms of these quality issues...and for the umpteenth :yum: time I am not bashing them as I owned two units only one now and considering selling this one off as well because of this stupid volume knob issue "it's not super bad but annoying being it's the second unit with such issues I've had, if it's a software issue get it fixed already won't you :smirk: or they may wait until someone has hearing damage before doing something about it....The plug issue has been well know too it doesn't sit flush on all units so when you rotate the plug sometimes in some units you will get static that will travel from one channel to the next or cut outs..I solved my first issue "before I sent it back" with putting masking tape on the bottom of my plug "two layers 3M" then cutting it down to where it fit flush with the plug and that seemed to help a lot and this was with one of my ALO cables. So for a device that cost a few dollars and is supposed to be the top of their line I would expect more sorry I'm not as forgiving over and over I do try but I'm considering the Hugo I wanted to team them together but not sure at this point as wouldn't need the AK as a DAC anyway as the Hugo's better....Great sounding player shouldn't do everything a smartphone does no but should do and be more than it is.....We'll see in a couple of years if they still be able to sell enough $2000 $3000 players to enough people to matter yes they'll always sell to the few and that's all good too :sunglasses:

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #6,298 of 9,131
Just wondering,

Has anyone tried connecting their AK240 to Home Hifi Amp?

I find that i have to max out my AK240 to 75 and the amp is maxxed out as well. Wondering if there is a solution out of this? For instance having AK240 go through a preamp. Have been reading on these and so the connection will go from dedicated preamp --> preamp on my amp --> Power amp --> speakers. If this is the case, was thinking of either Cavalli liquid Audio Gold (which would then enable me to get a really good headphone amp function too) OR the Oppo 105D (has its won Sabre DACs and im not sure if combo of AK240 --> Oppo 105D makes sense for the purposes of being able to increase sound level of music files)

It seems to me that for this issue, theres quite a lot of overlap between hifi and audiophile threads so Ill post the same question in both domains. For the time being I am stuck.

Any suggestions / experiences etc?

Thanks

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #6,299 of 9,131

I agree, he's just a great guy to work with and he honors his word. I purchased all of my AK units (100, 120, 240) from him.

I agree, Ted is very dedicated to his work and very politely replied to every one of my inane questions even over the weekend and at the end when he though I was such a Noob was very honest in his advice about taking a while longer to do some research and then get back.

Seems like I have found my cable person for quite a while. Very approachable and wants you to make a choice you'd be comfortable with.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #6,300 of 9,131
Here I am again only its 2015, still pondering the question of which DAP to buy and am very grateful for all your help in the past, but now there is a new DAP on the block (p1.  I still have the AK120 very firmly in possession, but now I would be grateful for the push to purchase between:

Hifiman 901s
AK240
[size=medium]Plenue 1[/size]

[size=medium]also is the Chord Hugo worth getting to go with said mentioned.  Does anyone know which dap has the better components?  I am assuming the AK240 due to its price.  I use iem final audio heaven 7, but looking to upgrade to suit the appropriate dap.  I apologise now if this question has already been asked, but am now so fed up with trying to decide that I dare not look at any CES footage.[/size]

[size=medium]I ultimately want good instrument separation and vocals.  Thank you in anticipation.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back