The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #6,196 of 9,131
Guys I need some help my AK 240 just started having a very subtle static noise when twisting the balanced head phone jack using my Roxanne's however it only happens on DSD files.

I'd like to elaborate on the static noise I am having its not at the point where whenever I am walking and the AK240 is in my pocket that it starts to have static noise its only when I twist it in a certain way that it gives off a subtle noise.

Should I opt for a repair service since my unit is not even 4 months old
mad.gif

I don't want to be without my AK240 for a long time if I can avoid sending it back I would.

Is this a sign of things getting worse?

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #6,201 of 9,131
It may or may not, I am on my third one, knock wood.
I start re terminate my balanced cable back to SE now.

I did terminate it back from balanced to SE a while ago as the 2.5mm still a bit insecure to me.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #6,205 of 9,131
I just heard that Tidal streaming service might or will come to the AK240 (not perfectly sure though). Cheers!

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #6,206 of 9,131
I just heard that Tidal streaming service might or will come to the AK240 (not perfectly sure though). Cheers!

Yes that's what they say I've been running Tidal for about a week it's pretty cool for streaming.....but for music I really like I still buy...I like Tidal so far but I'm still in the newbie stage, Tidal says they're coming to AK we'll see this has kind of pissed me off about AK there's a lot that should've been available by now :smirk: like HD Tracks as well for a player of this cost these things aren't acceptable....this company better get its act together because if some larger company "not saying any names" decided to get into high res music they could take over most of the market...AK is throwing products out a little too fast without addressing the issues or things that should come first finish the project started before moving the train to the next stop...get it right or most of the way right first...I love the AK but some have a valid point if you take a Hugo and a few of the tablets and or phones running the Onkyo high res app or some others you'll have a damn good pairing....

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #6,207 of 9,131
Tidal is the international part of WIMP who only operate in a few EU countries. I have contact with them and know that they are working on such project as I offered them the idea to get their HiFi sound also on pocket friendly equipment, not sure if it will be A&K and their most expensive product but it would be great to develop from there.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #6,208 of 9,131
Yes that's what they say I've been running Tidal for about a week it's pretty cool for streaming.....but for music I really like I still buy...I like Tidal so far but I'm still in the newbie stage, Tidal says they're coming to AK we'll see this has kind of pissed me off about AK there's a lot that should've been available by now :smirk: like HD Tracks as well for a player of this cost these things aren't acceptable....this company better get its act together because if some larger company "not saying any names" decided to get into high res music they could take over most of the market...AK is throwing products out a little too fast without addressing the issues or things that should come first finish the project started before moving the train to the next stop...get it right or most of the way right first...I love the AK but some have a valid point if you take a Hugo and a few of the tablets and or phones running the Onkyo high res app or some others you'll have a damn good pairing....
That is the reason why I still prefere Apple and or Sony, who are fairly without any issues and this at human prices

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #6,209 of 9,131
That is the reason why I still prefere Apple and or Sony, who are fairly without any issues and this at human prices

Yes this is what I meant, I often find myself comparing products of the premium range to apple because their attention to detail and build quality....I hate doing this but AK chose to be in the high end market so they should really step up to the plate they have had some great ideas and I love the 240 I've had two now only one but have also been thinking of trying the 120 II or the gold AK " for which seems to have tighter build quality "don't know why or if it holds true across the board... But the price they charge this Player should stream via an app as well as the software included....the Bluetooth should work at a slightly longer distance than it does it's crazy short snd drops in and out without much effort " try working out with it sitting a few feet away makes you :confused: I really want to buy a Hugo maybe try it with my iPad mini 3 wifi only no cell radios to interfere.... But I love these players from AK just wish they would get their sh-t together and think for today's listener it's a new world now and there's a lot of new tech that's going to start challenging the old audiophile beliefs sound quality is improving with technology as well :blush:

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #6,210 of 9,131
Hi,
That might be a silly question, but how better the AK240 would sound (If at all (that is the silly bit)) compared to a Sony PHA-2.
The main reason I am considering the ak240 is storage space as have only 30 Gb available for HiRes files on my iPhone, and that is not enough.
But at the price it should be more convenient (replace both phone and amp dac) and sound better.
My headphones are Ultrasone Ed 8.

And additional question: can one use SACDs.iso with it?

Merry Christmas,
Cheers,

Cedric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back