The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #5,538 of 9,131
Yes,but I have red it at somewhere.

Whatever,what Hugo improves with AK240 ?

There were quite a number of posts comparing AK240 (and RWAK240) and Hugo, which I personally think is inappropriate.

AK240 should be compared with other DAP, and if it's DAP & DAC matching then it should be done with other DAP+Hugo and AK240+Hugo.

I find Hugo complemented AK240 very well and improves the SQ noticeably.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #5,539 of 9,131
There were quite a number of posts comparing AK240 (and RWAK240) and Hugo, which I personally think is inappropriate.

AK240 should be compared with other DAP, and if it's DAP & DAC matching then it should be done with other DAP+Hugo and AK240+Hugo.

I already asked the differences between AK240 and RWAK240 ? I don't ask Hugo.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #5,542 of 9,131

Inappropriate or not inappropriate, I am grateful to those who have commented on differences between AK240 and Hugo as they have helped me decide between the two units, and I haven't regretted my decision.

AK240 should be compared with anything that can sound great, and if it's DAP & DAC matching then it should be done with "say, is that a bulge in your trousers or are you just glad to see me".
devil_face.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #5,543 of 9,131
Hello friends,  I hope everyone is enjoying their Astell & Kern DAP in good health.  This is my first post here, being an old fart
that I am who wants to be in touch with technology, I am contemplating on getting myself a 240.  I have been a pure analog
guy and until someone invents a portable turntable the size of an AK240, I will have to venture in to this wonderful and
mysterious world of high resolution digital audio.

I have one specific question that I would appreciate clarification from everyone.  I learned that the AK240 (or the 100 & 120)
can play music via streaming.  My son has this enormous files of high resolution jazz music on his "NAS" (whatever that
means) and he told me he can give me  access thru "VPN connection" (again another whatever that means to me) so I can
listen to it.  

You see my friends, my son lives 8 hours by plane away from me and if the AK240 can access his files thru this VPN he is
saying, that will be wonderful for me and will definitely be a huge factor for me to go and buy the AK240.

Has anyone faced such predicament before and made it work successfully? Can you kindly point out the ways or methods me
and my son can do to achieve this?  I told him via facetime to visit this forum and watch for answer so we can figure out how
to work this mess out.

My son told my to illustrate this to this forum and although I dont have any idea what this is, I hope someone can understand
and help figure out how in the name of everything sacred can we make this work..

Here goes nothing...
My Son's NAS (FLAC Files)  ====> (sharing to me via VPN) =====> My Router (Wireless) ====> AK240 

I will greatly appreciate if someone can figure out how to help us.

Cheers!  ( I need a glass of whiskey now)

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #5,544 of 9,131
  Hello friends,  I hope everyone is enjoying their Astell & Kern DAP in good health.  This is my first post here, being an old fart
that I am who wants to be in touch with technology, I am contemplating on getting myself a 240.  I have been a pure analog
guy and until someone invents a portable turntable the size of an AK240, I will have to venture in to this wonderful and
mysterious world of high resolution digital audio.

I have one specific question that I would appreciate clarification from everyone.  I learned that the AK240 (or the 100 & 120)
can play music via streaming.  My son has this enormous files of high resolution jazz music on his "NAS" (whatever that
means) and he told me he can give me  access thru "VPN connection" (again another whatever that means to me) so I can
listen to it.  

You see my friends, my son lives 8 hours by plane away from me and if the AK240 can access his files thru this VPN he is
saying, that will be wonderful for me and will definitely be a huge factor for me to go and buy the AK240.

Has anyone faced such predicament before and made it work successfully? Can you kindly point out the ways or methods me
and my son can do to achieve this?  I told him via facetime to visit this forum and watch for answer so we can figure out how
to work this mess out.

My son told my to illustrate this to this forum and although I dont have any idea what this is, I hope someone can understand
and help figure out how in the name of everything sacred can we make this work..

Here goes nothing...
My Son's NAS (FLAC Files)  ====> (sharing to me via VPN) =====> My Router (Wireless) ====> AK240 

I will greatly appreciate if someone can figure out how to help us.

Cheers!  ( I need a glass of whiskey now)

Would it be more simple to have your son send you a duplication of his collection in a hard disk?  You can't do streaming (with whatever NAS) while you are on the road anyway and thus defeats the purpose to own a top tier portable DAP,

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #5,545 of 9,131
  Would it be more simple to have your son send you a duplication of his collection in a hard disk?  You can't do streaming (with whatever NAS) while you are on the road anyway and thus defeats the purpose to own a top tier portable DAP,

He told me that he has around 300 gigabytes of various songs.  And I honestly can not listen to all or most of it otherwise I will need to live twice to be able to do that. I only stay here at home and 
I just want to see if what he is saying is possible.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #5,546 of 9,131
Its technically feasible, but we dont know if the download speed is optimal for highres audio playback. Probably ask him to send you a portable harddisk with the files, or use your computer to download the files from his NAS. Good son, by the way!

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #5,547 of 9,131

He told me that he has around 300 gigabytes of various songs.  And I honestly can not listen to all or most of it otherwise I will need to live twice to be able to do that. I only stay here at home and 
I just want to see if what he is saying is possible.

300GB of high-res is not a lot of songs (FYI, my 240 now only have 6.9GB storage remaining to which I have not able to store all my DSD collections...my particial CDs are on microSDs).

It makes a lot of sense for him to get a 1TB harddisk and replicate his collection for you.  You'd then able to add on any future new album to the HDD with ample storage remaining.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #5,548 of 9,131
Its technically feasible, but we dont know if the download speed is optimal for highres audio playback. Probably ask him to send you a portable harddisk with the files, or use your computer to download the files from his NAS. Good son, by the way!

I told him that and I hope he reads this..

Jason, see what these folks are saying? Just send the darn harddiks to me! Or better yet son, buy me a 240 with the files already on it. - Love, Daddy.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #5,549 of 9,131
   I told him that and I hope he reads this..

Jason, see what these folks are saying? Just send the darn harddiks to me! Or better yet son, buy me a 240 with the files already on it. - Love, Daddy.

Jason, if you don't have huge collection of DSD files then the AK120ii (it doesn't play DSD natively) should able to perform most of what 240 can do [with CD resolutions] and save you some dollars for new albums.  

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #5,550 of 9,131
Hi, I need some help with my new 240. When I use it as a USB DAC connected to a MacBook and the headphone output is connected to a Fosgate signature amp the volume is low and I have the unit set to Line Out.
When I use it as a DAP with a pair of Grado's plugged in and the Line Out is turned off I have to turn the volume up to 70-75 to achieve a decent volume. am I missing something? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back