The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 19, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #5,386 of 9,131
I emailed iriver, told them I didn't like 1.16's sound quality and asked them how I could roll back to 1.15 (basically an indirect way of asking for the hex), and they provided me the hex.

I was told not to publish the hex file so you can approach iriver like I did, or... you know what to do.:wink:

That was lucky. Sound wise is it back to what you remembered?

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #5,387 of 9,131
  I emailed iriver, told them I didn't like 1.16's sound quality and asked them how I could roll back to 1.15 (basically an indirect way of asking for the hex), and they provided me the hex.

I was told not to publish the hex file so you can approach iriver like I did, or... you know what to do.
wink.gif

I emailed them a couple of days ago but haven't got a response. I also asked if the change in SQ was deliberate.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #5,388 of 9,131
Just PM my-2000 for the hex. He has already dropped you guys a hint in his post.

Also, some people over here should not overreact over the changes that this new FW brings, especially towards the SQ.

Just by a scrolling a few pages back, there are some who have had noticed/heard positive changes towards that aspect, & some who felt otherwise (I belong to the former).

Anyway, its good to hear that there is a way to downgrade the FW. Makes future scenarios much easier to go about, should similar situation(s) arise again.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #5,389 of 9,131
That was lucky. Sound wise is it back to what you remembered?

It's my beloved 1.15's sound signature alright, unless they made a special edition of 1.15 just for me.
tongue_smile.gif

Quoting McD: "I'm Lovin' It". Especially after the torture of 1.16 for a few days.

I emailed them a couple of days ago but haven't got a response. I also asked if the change in SQ was deliberate.

They replied me on the next day. I didn't ask whether the change in SQ was deliberate but I'd imagine it is, otherwise that is too heavy of a "side effect".

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #5,391 of 9,131
I spoke with someone from iRiver yesterday and was told there were no changes to the sound signature at all whatsoever in the new firmware 1.16

I spent over two hours going back and forth with my AK240 on 1.16 and my friends on 1.15 with the same IEM and headphone combination with the exact same files.  I could tell whatsoever no distinction between the two at all.  They sounded exactly the same. I tried many different files from 320 kbps mp3's all the way up to 24/192 files from HDTracks covering every genre and the sound was absolutely the same.  There must be some placebo effect going on with some saying the sound is better and others saying the sound is awful.  I tried very hard to find a distinction between the two but could find none.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #5,392 of 9,131
Yep! Me too.

I am glad folks are interested in being able to manually able to change firmware.  I don't have a need now but it may be good to know in the future.  

They could add something like spottily which I would want to promptly remove. :p

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #5,393 of 9,131
  I spoke with someone from iRiver yesterday and was told there were no changes to the sound signature at all whatsoever in the new firmware 1.16

I spent over two hours going back and forth with my AK240 on 1.16 and my friends on 1.15 with the same IEM and headphone combination with the exact same files.  I could tell whatsoever no distinction between the two at all.  They sounded exactly the same. I tried many different files from 320 kbps mp3's all the way up to 24/192 files from HDTracks covering every genre and the sound was absolutely the same.  There must be some placebo effect going on with some saying the sound is better and others saying the sound is awful.  I tried very hard to find a distinction between the two but could find none.

Let's put "sounding" better or worse aside.

A few posts above I mentioned listening to a remastered old recording from 1961, it's a 16/44.1 violin concerto. There is hissing sound in some high frequency sessions which is bearable in 1.15 and previous versions; in 1.16 the hissing sound is way lounder than the music itself.

Placebo effect? I think not.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #5,394 of 9,131

Yep! Me too.

I am glad folks are interested in being able to manually able to change firmware.  I don't have a need now but it may be good to know in the future.  

They could add something like spottily which I would want to promptly remove. :p

There is really no good reason to update living in the States. I always update my electronics. In fact I am using the beta version of Yosemite on my MAC. I am going to sit this one out and wait till there some benefit to be gotten.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #5,395 of 9,131
I believe the point remains to give folks firmware options.  

I don't hear what you hear but it could be gear or a number of things.

i am all in favor of the manufacturer giving folks a path to choose their preferred firmware.  

While I like the latest firmware, I may hate what is next.  Push forward.

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #5,396 of 9,131

i am all in favor of the manufacturer giving folks a path to choose their preferred firmware.  

+1

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #5,397 of 9,131

+1. Everyone hears different and main goal is to enjoy listening. Should have choice to listen to whatever firmware one wants.

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #5,398 of 9,131

That would be great, except I don't think iriver will be doing it, i.e. making ex firmwares available publicly. They did it before then pulled it off due to "copyright issue". I'm guessing they don't want to let you customize the firmwares.

Sep 20, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #5,400 of 9,131
I've connected the AK240 to my Macbook as a USB dac.  Adjusted Audio Media setup to play sound via the AK240. However no sound from the headphones connected directly to the AK240.

Question: when used as USB dac the AK240 headphone amp is bypassed / I have to use an external amp?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back