The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #5,251 of 9,131
Thanks!

So far my friends think I'm crazy..my bank account hates me, my wallet got retired and those who saw this device, aside from being flabbergasted with the price asked "it doesn't play movies?!!"
And my rights to express "what?! That's ridiculously expensive! Is it made of gold?!" Has been revoked.

Sans l'dramatics though! This is my current set up for a cheap deliciously bass punching head experience(track dependent really but select a nice bassy album ((or not.. Enjoying Kings of Leon with these tremendously sounds almost live)) and just sit back and enjoy the pounding) I'd've foregone these but then again it's nice to go back to our non flat eq roots
smily_headphones1.gif

For those times you want something heavy, colored(maybe), and pounding(definitely)..this is by far the cheapest (setup wise) I could think of without buying new gear.

What's in the bag?

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #5,252 of 9,131
Thanks!

So far my friends think I'm crazy..my bank account hates me, my wallet got retired and those who saw this device, aside from being flabbergasted with the price asked "it doesn't play movies?!!"
And my rights to express "what?! That's ridiculously expensive! Is it made of gold?!" Has been revoked.

Sans l'dramatics though! This is my current set up for a cheap deliciously bass punching head experience(track dependent really but select a nice bassy album ((or not.. Enjoying Kings of Leon with these tremendously sounds almost live)) and just sit back and enjoy the pounding) I'd've foregone these but then again it's nice to go back to our non flat eq roots
smily_headphones1.gif

For those times you want something heavy, colored(maybe), and pounding(definitely)..this is by far the cheapest (setup wise) I could think of without buying new gear.

WEIRD, a 2.4K DAP needs amping? or is it HeadFier masochism in action? For 2.4K this AK240 should be able to sing, cook, clean and many other things too 
o2smile.gif

frankly my eye is on AK240 but gosh... for such money and amping drives me sick crazy. 
basshead.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #5,253 of 9,131
WEIRD, a 2.4K DAP needs amping? or is it HeadFier masochism in action? For 2.4K this AK240 should be able to sing, cook, clean and many other things too :o2smile:

frankly my eye is on AK240 but gosh... for such money and amping drives me sick crazy. :basshead:

It's better than any dap out there so far. Price wise I deliberated as long and as much prior to the big drop but most importantly I got these to get rid of my stack. Took me about a month cursing the ak actually before I just up and got one. Sold off most of my gear too actually.
Usually just go with the ak now. That said however, Im still stuck w my 215 and still looking for a good can.
I'm not sure what you mean with machismo but like I said it's for fun and variation. :)

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #5,254 of 9,131
  I use SyncMate Expert. It's not perfect and it's not free. Transfers are done using the finder as opposed to AFT's own file system. It still locks up on occasion and you sometimes get weird permissions errors. I think it's more of an issue with how the AK240 handles files than a problem with SyncMate. Overall, IMHO, it's far superior to AFT. As an added bonus you can use it with Android and IOS. 

I've installed SyncMate, but can't get it to "see" the AK. I'm directed to enable USB Debugging mode on the Android device but can find no way to do that.

What steps did you take to get the AK to show up in Finder?

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #5,255 of 9,131
  I've installed SyncMate, but can't get it to "see" the AK. I'm directed to enable USB Debugging mode on the Android device but can find no way to do that.

What steps did you take to get the AK to show up in Finder?

When you start the Syncmate app you should see in the left hand pane available connections. The AK240 should be one of them. If you don't see it, then Add New using the plus sign. Once the AK240 appears select it. You'll have an options for Mount Disk  Automatically. Put a check mark there. You'll then be prompted that FUSE for OS X needs to be installed. Allow Fuse to be installed. If your AK240 doesn't mount automatically the first time, go to Computer under the go menu in the finder. In the window, you should see your AK240 as a disk icon. Click and all your files are visible. Now whenever you connect your AK240 to a usb port it will mount in the finder. I'm using OS X 10.9.4 but I don't think it really matters. Good Luck!

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #5,256 of 9,131
  When you start the Syncmate app you should see in the left hand pane available connections. The AK240 should be one of them. If you don't see it, then Add New using the plus sign. Once the AK240 appears select it. You'll have an options for Mount Disk  Automatically. Put a check mark there. You'll then be prompted that FUSE for OS X needs to be installed. Allow Fuse to be installed. If your AK240 doesn't mount automatically the first time, go to Computer under the go menu in the finder. In the window, you should see your AK240 as a disk icon. Click and all your files are visible. Now whenever you connect your AK240 to a usb port it will mount in the finder. I'm using OS X 10.9.4 but I don't think it really matters. Good Luck!

When I start SyncMate I don't see my connected player (I've got an AK120ii, not a 240...I wonder if that is the difference?). I'm also running 10.9.4.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #5,257 of 9,131
  When I start SyncMate I don't see my connected player (I've got an AK120ii, not a 240...I wonder if that is the difference?). I'm also running 10.9.4.

I'm not an expert but I don't think it matters. As far as not seeing it, you have to add it using the + sign 'Add new' .

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #5,258 of 9,131
  I'm not an expert but I don't think it matters. As far as not seeing it, you have to add it using the + sign 'Add new' .

Yes, I've tried that. I click "Add new" and then select "MTP device"

I'm prompted to connect it via USB cable (even though it's already connected). If I unplug and replug, the Android app opens. I close out of that, but still no joy in SyncMate.

image.tiff

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #5,259 of 9,131
  Yes, I've tried that. I click "Add new" and then select "MTP device"

I'm prompted to connect it via USB cable (even though it's already connected). If I unplug and replug, the Android app opens. I close out of that, but still no joy in SyncMate.

image.tiff

You probably want to uninstall Android File Transfer if you're going to use SyncMate, it's possibly causing a conflict. Also once uninstalled, do a restart because AFT is a startup app.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5,260 of 9,131
  You probably want to uninstall Android File Transfer if you're going to use SyncMate, it's possibly causing a conflict. Also once uninstalled, do a restart because AFT is a startup app.

Thanks for that tip. It did the trick and I was able to mount the AK internal storage as a drive. However, as I start to move files and such I get a lot of "cannot complete operation" messages mostly due to permissions.

I think what I will end up doing is going back to the AFT app and redoing the folder setup on the internal storage. It means retransferring a lot of things, but in the long run it is going to be easier to manage if I have everything setup in artist folders, which is how I have the music set up on my computer.

But I do appreciate the help!

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #5,261 of 9,131
  Thanks for that tip. It did the trick and I was able to mount the AK internal storage as a drive. However, as I start to move files and such I get a lot of "cannot complete operation" messages mostly due to permissions.

I think what I will end up doing is going back to the AFT app and redoing the folder setup on the internal storage. It means retransferring a lot of things, but in the long run it is going to be easier to manage if I have everything setup in artist folders, which is how I have the music set up on my computer.

But I do appreciate the help!

As I previously said, SyncMate isn't perfect. The same problems that AFT has are also in SyncMate. That seem to point to the AK240 being the real culprit. The advantage of SyncMate is that it's familiar territory, the finder. Whenever I get those weird errors be it AFT or SyncMate, deleting the offending folder (usually empty) and rebooting the AK240 seems to fix it. I've transferred many GB of songs with few headaches using Syncmate. Other have said that SyncMate is slower than AFT,  as always, everything is a give and take. Good Luck! 

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #5,262 of 9,131
It's better than any dap out there so far. Price wise I deliberated as long and as much prior to the big drop but most importantly I got these to get rid of my stack. Took me about a month cursing the ak actually before I just up and got one. Sold off most of my gear too actually.
Usually just go with the ak now. That said however, Im still stuck w my 215 and still looking for a good can.
I'm not sure what you mean with machismo but like I said it's for fun and variation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Masochism (HeadFier only) is to purchase a 2.4K, then spend another 2-3K on amp and DAC + cables and use 2.4K paid as source only
tongue.gif

actually i am not against this approach since this is what high end is all about but i still cannot get used to the idea that portable can be such madness too 
L3000.gif

for me, seriously, the idea of amping is not good one, i have RWAK and amp T1, but i want to get rid of amp and have only one do it all source which AK240 is... but there is also AK120-II now which looks like a monster and not far from AK240 as i understood. gosh... i need another long vacation from headFi 
k701smile.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5,263 of 9,131
What's in the bag?

It's my old ican nano :)

Masochism (HeadFier only) is to purchase a 2.4K, then spend another 2-3K on amp and DAC + cables and use 2.4K paid as source only :p
actually i am not against this approach since this is what high end is all about but i still cannot get used to the idea that portable can be such madness too :L3000:
for me, seriously, the idea of amping is not good one, i have RWAK and amp T1, but i want to get rid of amp and have only one do it all source which AK240 is... but there is also AK120-II now which looks like a monster and not far from AK240 as i understood. gosh... i need another long vacation from headFi :k701smile:

Thanks for clarifying that :) I'm quite new to this really.. actually wasn't intent on amping. But then they're the ones that actually got me interested in all these again.
Had been using my ifi nano for dsd which sounded really delicious on a Mac, which lead me to trying out diff daps, which got me to the ak240..
Yeah actually I should blame IFI for this haha

I don't care much for flat, balanced, or purists terms they have here honestly, I just want that really nice clean sound with exceptional listening experience..

So far as daps go, it's hate at first heard on the ak240. I hated it so much because of the price. I actually balked at the price shut my ears off and passed it back to the seller. Went back to try other daps even the highly praised 901(which actually sucked compared to the ak120ii, plus it's really ugly..) but then before settling for the dx90..just had to go back and test the ak240 one more time..

Waittaminute! That is masochism!

Anyway, yeah it's part of my old setup that I'm sharing :) not advising anyone to buy more gear though just try out diff combinations of what you have left.

Oh yeah, another reason why I'm sharing this is, have you heard the Audeze LCD 2, x,& xc on the ak? (Have to save up for any of those next)
It's gonna burn a hole in the bank but the clarity and depth is amazing. I tried the hd800 (too bright, weak bass) and grado 1000 (I heard too much tsss tsss at the end of each word which made the song unintelligible which got really irritating real quick).. It's nowhere near the audeze depth and distinction.. I don't think I'm a bass head but if the bass doesn't go as deep and doesn't punch as much without sacrifing clarity in the treble or mids, jazz, lounge, reggae and most genres don't really have the same effect.

Take George micheal's symphonica album, the bass really gives the song a heart, the other instruments in the album give it sparkle and shine but yeah the bass gives it heart.
His also I discovered reveals a lot of weaknesses in other headphones I look out for..
Oh, and yes the amp was for looking for cheap alternatives for trying to recreate that audeze experience.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #5,264 of 9,131
You and I have similar sound sensibility.  I've owned both the HD800 and Grado 1000 and had exactly the same impression.  And then I found Audeze LCD-3.  Wow!  Nothing comes close...and can't replicate other,lesser by amping.  I tried experimenting with a very highly rated amp to my AK240.  Made very little difference.  Really not necessary to achieve what you are seeking.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #5,265 of 9,131
You and I have similar sound sensibility.  I've owned both the HD800 and Grado 1000 and had exactly the same impression.  And then I found Audeze LCD-3.  Wow!  Nothing comes close...and can't replicate other,lesser by amping.  I tried experimenting with a very highly rated amp to my AK240.  Made very little difference.  Really not necessary to achieve what you are seeking.

That's true, no amp combination could but yeah it'll probably take another year or two for the lcd to land in my hands hehe so making do for now :)
I've yet to find a lcd3 to audition though but I got high expectations now after listening to the x and lcd 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back