The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 7, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #5,236 of 9,131
Quote:
How is transport speed on AK240 ? On AK100 and 120 (old) too slow.

It is still slow I think, but I don't see that as a real problem anyway because I can only listen to so many albums per day, and 256GB is more than sufficient for me to not easily get bored with having only a limited choice of music to play each time when I am away from home.

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #5,239 of 9,131
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #5,240 of 9,131
Unfortunately Qobuz have terrible financial problems - so it might all be very short lived :frowning2: Lets hope not

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Qobuz-Financial-Problems-Le-site-Qobuz-plac%C3%A9-en-proc%C3%A9dure-de-sauvegarde

http://www.lesechos.fr/journal20140828/lec2_high_tech_et_medias/0203728863714-le-site-qobuz-place-en-procedure-de-sauvegarde-1036674.php?xtor=RSS-38

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #5,242 of 9,131
Unfortunately Qobuz have terrible financial problems - so it might all be very short lived :frowning2: Lets hope not

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Qobuz-Financial-Problems-Le-site-Qobuz-plac%C3%A9-en-proc%C3%A9dure-de-sauvegarde Qobuz focus on an audiophile group that listen mostly to classical and jazz , so a minority group which makes commercial succes not evident. I did not like their to thin sound either. Wimp is also focussing on the audiophile community but not only, and they have a broad choice in all possible genres. Their sound is absolutely great and they have the best possible choice in prog- avant rock, not only the big names mind you, even obscure Turkish prog from Nekropsi is there, rare Japanese prog, you name it. Not to find is music from the RéR label and King Crimson, but this count for all streaming providors.

http://www.lesechos.fr/journal20140828/lec2_high_tech_et_medias/0203728863714-le-site-qobuz-place-en-procedure-de-sauvegarde-1036674.php?xtor=RSS-38

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #5,245 of 9,131
These services as well as purchase sites should've been available by now or else it should've never been said.....I love this player but again ....things like these are a given for a DAP of this caliber .....The AK is awesome yet lacking services that should've been included in this day and age of technology...:pensive:

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #5,247 of 9,131
I'm not sure how many mac users have problems transferring music into the ak, but for a hassle free transfer this is what I just discovered..
Select your music and hold down your mouse button.
Drag over to the folder of your choice in ak, but for the love of god don't let that button go!
Make sure you get it over the folder for a few seconds before letting go...
And there you have it. No unexpected crash from the stupid android software.
I really hope ak comes up with their own nicely done software or at least make it mac finder compatible...
Windows works fine.. But it's windows...
Hope that helps!
Oh did anyone notice if the sound gets better after longer use?
Seems my ak is getting more exciting...could be just me though :)

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #5,248 of 9,131
Great post.  I'm a Mac user with intermittent transfer problems.  You offer a valid tip-which I had previously discovered, but wasn't certain of it working every time.  But your thought of a longer hold, after drag, before dropping, may be the answer.  Interestingly, sometimes just changing the name of the folder I was transferring to worked, or transferring to a different already existing folder worked.  The one pre-existing "Music" has never had a glitch!
No question...there is definitely a "burn in" effect.  A forum user way back said 200 hours!  I scoffed, but now believe.  Not just you...or maybe it's both of us!

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #5,249 of 9,131
I'm not sure how many mac users have problems transferring music into the ak, but for a hassle free transfer this is what I just discovered..
Select your music and hold down your mouse button.
Drag over to the folder of your choice in ak, but for the love of god don't let that button go!
Make sure you get it over the folder for a few seconds before letting go...
And there you have it. No unexpected crash from the stupid android software.
I really hope ak comes up with their own nicely done software or at least make it mac finder compatible...
Windows works fine.. But it's windows...
Hope that helps!
Oh did anyone notice if the sound gets better after longer use?
Seems my ak is getting more exciting...could be just me though
smily_headphones1.gif

+1,000,000

Great post.  I'm a Mac user with intermittent transfer problems.  You offer a valid tip-which I had previously discovered, but wasn't certain of it working every time.  But your thought of a longer hold, after drag, before dropping, may be the answer.  Interestingly, sometimes just changing the name of the folder I was transferring to worked, or transferring to a different already existing folder worked.  The one pre-existing "Music" has never had a glitch!
No question...there is definitely a "burn in" effect.  A forum user way back said 200 hours!  I scoffed, but now believe.  Not just you...or maybe it's both of us!

I 100% agree and am surprised none of us has mentioned it before. With respect "out of the mouth of babes"  your 15th post will help so many people! Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet  
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #5,250 of 9,131
Thanks!

So far my friends think I'm crazy..my bank account hates me, my wallet got retired and those who saw this device, aside from being flabbergasted with the price asked "it doesn't play movies?!!"
And my rights to express "what?! That's ridiculously expensive! Is it made of gold?!" Has been revoked.

Sans l'dramatics though! This is my current set up for a cheap deliciously bass punching head experience(track dependent really but select a nice bassy album ((or not.. Enjoying Kings of Leon with these tremendously sounds almost live)) and just sit back and enjoy the pounding) I'd've foregone these but then again it's nice to go back to our non flat eq roots :)

For those times you want something heavy, colored(maybe), and pounding(definitely)..this is by far the cheapest (setup wise) I could think of without buying new gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back