The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 6, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #5,221 of 9,131

dak, you n-e-e-d to audition any IEM from Tralucent; either the 1plus2 or the (new) Ref.1. They are quite a revelation from 'other' IEM's. Many, many people compare them to TOTL headphones. Comments also compare them to large in-the-room speakers, too. I was very impressed by them having listened to 846's and 334's, etc. Now I own them.

Do it....you won't regret it, and it may be 'the' answer you are seeking.

I wonder how it compares to the K10. Any thoughts?

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #5,222 of 9,131
A question to all AK240 users:

Can you stream music from a wi-fi HDD without computer?
or any other wi-fi SD card reader?

I know AK240 can stream music from a wi-fi enabled PC. I wonder if it can do the same for other wi-fi storage devices without help of that 'MQ Streaming Server' software.

I use it with my NAS

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #5,224 of 9,131
Network attached storage??

So, does it work well without that software which Astell n Kern is providing???

What kind of NAS are you using with AK240?

so, my question is: can AK240 access any wi-fi enabled storage and stream music from it?

Have a read on the notes of the last FW update. :)

It uses the MQS app on AK240.

Synology

I can't speak in respect of other wifi storage. :)

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #5,225 of 9,131
Have a read on the notes of the last FW update.
smily_headphones1.gif

It uses the MQS app on AK240.

Synology

I can't speak in respect of other wifi storage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah.. I heard about it.
so, when you're using it with your NAS, do you just access to that wi-fi signal and stream music from HDD?
or do you need any additional setup / software on your PC to assist NAS?

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #5,227 of 9,131
Yeah.. I heard about it.
so, when you're using it with your NAS, do you just access to that wi-fi signal and stream music from HDD?
or do you need any additional setup / software on your PC to assist NAS?

With the FW upgrade, I now access and stream from the NAS directly, bypassing the desktop computer. :)

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #5,228 of 9,131
I use it with 2TB Lacie Fuel with Hack Seagate sofware, it works out fine accept on .aif and .dsf, they don't seem to be recognised by AK240 but aif is ok for Note3.

Cool... so, were you able to access wi-fi seagate HDD directly? without any PC setting?? This is nice
With the FW upgrade, I now access and stream from the NAS directly, bypassing the desktop computer.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's sweet. I think it's highly likely that I can use AK240 to stream music from wi-fi SD card readers or a portable wi-fi HDD devices!!!!
meaning, I can extend AK240's capacity up to 2TB with this set up!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSFCYFY/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3RJNQO8PQ21MT

Check this device. It will turn your portable 2TB HDD into a wifi HDD!
it has 8,000 mah battery so it guarantees at least 30 hours of life.
Also, you can add one more 256GB SD card and an additional 256GB USB stick. 

If this combination can work with AK240, I think AK240 is already future proofed unless someone invents something radically different.

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5,231 of 9,131
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wireless-Storage-Streaming-STCV2000100/dp/B00JSQV44S/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This one will work too, I guess!!
People say this one's better than Lacie Fuel 2TB.

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #5,234 of 9,131
so, my question is: can AK240 access any wi-fi enabled storage and stream music from it?

I have tested it with foobar2000 using "UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Media Server, Control Point" component (foo_upnp) on my laptop. It works, and I am able to stream my files from my foobar2000 playlists and music library via Wi-Fi, but the playback isn't gapless, and native DSD playback is not supported. I hardly ever listen to DSD anyway, but gapless playback is a must have IMO so I tend to just stay away from streaming.

Listening in USB DAC mode often has my preference whenever I am not out on the road. Staying at home with Wi-Fi enabled on the AK240 (USB not plugged in) will only deplete the battery even faster than it already does, whereas plugging in the USB cable will cause the battery to start being recharged even when a recharge is not yet required. (Frequent unnecessary battery recharges will cause unnecessary wear and tear on it, while the battery isn't easily replaceable...). So IMO it can be a good idea to transfer as much of the music you plan to listen to as possible via USB onto the AK240 or SD card, beforehand, then just try to avoid using Wi-Fi most of the time. Apart from the OTA (Over-The-Air) firmware update capability, the only times when I find Wi-Fi on the AK240 to be really useful is when I want to, without recharging the AK240's battery, transfer files from my laptop's external harddrives onto the AK240's internal storage.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #5,235 of 9,131
How is transport speed on AK240 ? On AK100 and 120 (old) too slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back