The Astell & Kern AK240
Apr 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #2,881 of 9,131
What sort of prices are Australian Headfiers paying for their AK240?

It seems that the current asking price is around AU$3399, compared to the AU$2999 price when it first launched.

Is anyone aware of anywhere that is offering cheaper or is willing to provide some discounting?

Alternatively, has anyone bought from o/s to reap some reasonable savings?

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2,882 of 9,131
Hi All,
Is there any online stores with international shipping option that sell the new AK240 casing at the moment ?
Tried local dealer (Jaben, Headfonia) but they don't have it yet. 
No luck in eBay also.
Thanks.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #2,883 of 9,131
1. eBay offers go for $2.479 directly from Korea. (Free Expedited shipping included).

2. Ted Allen I heard has discounted prices as well, so you may want to get in touch with him.

3. His username on Head-Fi is "teds headfood" while his E-mail is tedallen0220@gmail.com.

Good luck!

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2,884 of 9,131
I'm preferring the original UE18 cable than those custom balanced cables I've tried in terms of ergononics and plastic sheathe over the pin connectors etc.  Is there any company that will take a standard UE custom cable and change the 3.5mm jack to a 2.5mm TRRS jack for balanced?

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,887 of 9,131
No disrespect intended but yours is really a comical comment. What about this line - if you don't intend to breathe then the fact of being dead is not an issue.

Seriously! I'm happy my lack of knowledge and interest in learning is providing you with some comic relief. I re-read my question and still fail to see the comedy. Since your analogy is so profound, today when I go to work and attempt to educate one of my patients I'm going to try to use it. I'd like to be able to explain to the patient the full intent and spirit of your comment, but since I think it's completely ridiculous and asinine I'm just going to throw it out there.

May 1, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,888 of 9,131
  I'm preferring the original UE18 cable than those custom balanced cables I've tried in terms of ergononics and plastic sheathe over the pin connectors etc.  Is there any company that will take a standard UE custom cable and change the 3.5mm jack to a 2.5mm TRRS jack for balanced?

email Ted Allen at tedallen0220@gmail.com. I'd bet he will do it and he does ship to your location.
Also here's his thread on Head fi:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread

May 1, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,889 of 9,131
  email Ted Allen at tedallen0220@gmail.com. I'd bet he will do it and he does ship to your location.
Also here's his thread on Head fi:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread

Yep. Shouldn't be a problem. I just ordered a balanced cable set for my Noble 6's and the AK240. 

May 2, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #2,890 of 9,131
Hey fellas, I was just wondering if there were any AK240 users who had also used the RWAK120 s or b and might be able to comment on how comparable the sound quality is between the two?

I am only considering going down the Red Wine route as I already have an AK and I was going to pick up a portable balanced amp, making the move up a fair bit cheaper. Obviously the portability, storage and UI do not compare, but I am curious of how close the two are on a purely SQ basis.

Cheers

Has anyone listened to both?

May 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,891 of 9,131
I too am curious about this and am surprised nobody has given an answer or opinion

May 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,892 of 9,131
  I too am curious about this and am surprised nobody has given an answer or opinion

Hey guys, I have listened to the 240 for just a few minutes (from a Korean colleague of mine) and was able to briefly compared it to my RWAK B Titan. The comparison is not pure since I used an external amp and balanced closed headphones while his was only the 240 and SE open cans, and both used the same song (Peter Gabriel Flac from a SACD rip). I have not noticed a big difference, perhaps the 240 was more transparent at all levels while mine was more colorful (more aggressive I would say). It was enough for me to decide not to upgrade. However, as I said, it was a brief comparison. I was not interested in UI, just in sound. I hope it helps a little.

Best, 

May 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,894 of 9,131
I should receive my Titan Mod back from Vinnie tomorrow but i dont have a 240 for comparison..perhaps somebody wants to lend me theirs lol?

May 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,895 of 9,131
Ask Vinnie to lend you one or better yet sell you one
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back