The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,306 of 9,131

Really why can't you just take a few ad cards in a holder. I have about

6 terr bits should I have to take it all with me. But I do agree why not the two card slot

Like before

Al

Obviously I can do that, I'm just saying it's amazing that in 2014 we still don't have a device that can hold all your hi-res music on it. And for $2500 I would certainly think that's the least they could do it give you some damn room to store your music.

That's because they keep that small box thinking. They could have looked at other options beyond using micro cards such as mSATA's with much more GB's yet priced very affordable.

Or maybe they have technical hurdles implementing the new drives. Also remember their main goal is to make money by releasing/selling new products fast, not necessarily with consumers' main interest coming first. They want to keep you "upgrading" by giving you a little bit more GB's every time but not a whole lot.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,307 of 9,131
As for the Hugo it's really not a portible unit , and should not be here . But I do see you point though. Maybe we need to define better what should go where. It is really like a v moda
But it does not have a volume control. So it's really a portible amp first . And dac amp second. Tough to deside. But there products are really well reviewed.

Al

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,309 of 9,131
In theory yes it would mean you would have your entire collection at hand. But keep this in mind more two years ago I have had storming with my iPhones since the 4s. With a simple WD cloud storage system. I can just download what ever I want and delete to make room and just play my music . And I can do this from anywhere in the world as long as I have a data signal or wifi.

Al

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,311 of 9,131
As for the Hugo it's really not a portible unit , and should not be here . But I do see you point though. Maybe we need to define better what should go where. It is really like a v moda
But it does not have a volume control. So it's really a portible amp first . And dac amp second. Tough to deside. But there products are really well reviewed.

Al

Al, I believe the Hugo is like the Cypher labs DAC I once owned. Battery powered and meant to be used with a DAP of some sort, the cypher lab originally was designed to be used with an iDevice. If this is indeed the case it is portable.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,312 of 9,131
In theory yes it would mean you would have your entire collection at hand. But keep this in mind more two years ago I have had storming with my iPhones since the 4s. With a simple WD cloud storage system. I can just download what ever I want and delete to make room and just play my music . And I can do this from anywhere in the world as long as I have a data signal or wifi.

Al

Exactly so what's the problem? It's 2014 Local storage is soooooo last year. It's all about that Hi-Fi Streaming! There are streaming services that are beginning to implement lossless streaming!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,313 of 9,131
Exactly so what's the problem? It's 2014 Local storage is soooooo last year. It's all about that Hi-Fi Streaming! There are streaming services that are beginning to implement lossless streaming!

+1, that's when I'll sign up when i can stream all my hi-fi music

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,314 of 9,131

+1, that's when I'll sign up when i can stream all my hi-fi music

Wimp Hifi is a streaming that's only available in some parts of Europe. But you can buy a NAS network attach storage device and hold all your precious lossless files and stream it with dlna/upnp media servers/apps.  

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,315 of 9,131
not in America though?

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,317 of 9,131
The box design is a little out of the box so to speak. I think I'd have to have it in hand to decide what I think about the styling. That said, the 240 appears like a good attempt at pressing forward on mobile digital audio playback. I'm looking forward to more reviews.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,318 of 9,131
We hear in two demensions with ear buds. You can hear in three with headphones and speakers. But with earbuds there is no time delay other than what the music gives you . Now this delay is not done with your ears but with your brain only. Like surround sound with just two speakers. As such music does not have this additional effect in it . So now just two.

Al

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,320 of 9,131
We hear in two demensions with ear buds. You can hear in three with headphones and speakers. But with earbuds there is no time delay other than what the music gives you . Now this delay is not done with your ears but with your brain only. Like surround sound with just two speakers. As such music does not have this additional effect in it . So now just two.

Al

With a pair of capable iem's and clean/transparent source, you have to hear that spacious sound. I absolutely prefer my iem's over my son's D2000 cans.

A clean and transparent audio path will open up the sound and makes it more 3d sounding, especially if you also have the bass/treble well extended on both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back