The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #901 of 9,131
Sure that's why we buy Digital Audio Players, to look cool in public, not to listen to music. For screws sake, who the hell is using these devices to listen to music, I just can't understand people.

Well said!
God preserves us from the form first hipsters, thats what I say! If this thing had warts all over it I could care less, as long as it sounds great!

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #902 of 9,131
I suppose, I mean less is more isn't it! Is it intended to be used with an Amp? IF so does it utilize a Line out option 

No line out, its pure music...

What!!! Designed by Stevie Wonder perchance. I don't care how good it sounds, I would be embarrassed to be seen with it.
U. G. L. Y.

Too bad, you won't know what you're missing :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #904 of 9,131
  What!!! Designed by Stevie Wonder perchance. I don't care how good it sounds, I would be embarrassed to be seen with it.
U. G. L. Y.

Could not agree more. It looks butt ugly. looks like its trying to apeal to the "Alian" market. I would not want to own it on looks alone. Unsophisticated kids stuff!

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #905 of 9,131
I really don't understand. The AK100 and AK120 have a sort of understated elegance. What the hell happened in the boardroom when someone took the AK240 in and said "here we go, isn't this fab!"?

I agree to a point that it is about the sound but come on. Car ownership is all about the driving but BMWs are still ugly. At least there you sit inside it and don't have to see the angular garbage on the outside.

I fear that A&K have gone for the BMW crowd. Expensive and ugly so that overpaid idiots have to claim it is purist.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #906 of 9,131
  I really don't understand. The AK100 and AK120 have a sort of understated elegance. What the hell happened in the boardroom when someone took the AK240 in and said "here we go, isn't this fab!"?

I agree to a point that it is about the sound but come on. Car ownership is all about the driving but BMWs are still ugly. At least there you sit inside it and don't have to see the angular garbage on the outside.

I fear that A&K have gone for the BMW crowd. Expensive and ugly so that overpaid idiots have to claim it is purist.

Dude I think you gotta sit and relax seriously. Calm your keyboard.

I don't like many things about iriver and their marketing strategy but come on, attacking them like that is really low...

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #908 of 9,131
  Ha! Maybe. I am sure their styling budget is not as great as the Bavarian car maker. But surely the Koreans can find machines that can do curves?

Not sure if I understood correctly (non-native English speaker here) but do you mean, a Korean dap with curves or at least nice physical looking? Calyx M might be the answer. Design wise I like it, except the volume slider, which can create problems in day to day life use in the pocket.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #909 of 9,131
Now see! It can be done. A little bland and smart phone looking but at least you don't feel compelled to pluck your own eyes out when using it. My faith in Korean stylists is almost restored
normal_smile .gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #911 of 9,131
Not hate. Just disappointment that this might start a trend. I admire the desire to be different but the practice is probably going to be Marmite as we would say in the UK.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #912 of 9,131
So much hate for AK, the poor guys. Theyre just trying for a niche. What a niche.

I'll be happy to hear it before I bash it at least.

No, this goes beyond simply carving out a niche. 

I view this AK240 as a small crack in a fragile wall. This almost $3k crack will be the driving impetus for more and more makers to be equally brazen with their pricing. When the Shure 846 was released, I said that it would only be a matter of time before Westone and other large IEM makers jumped into the $1k me-too market. 6 months later, here comes Westone trying to get a piece of the pie. In this same fashion, A&K has put their foot in the door, a door that will be swung wide open in the near future.

You think those TOTL speakers started off with 6 figure MSRPs?

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #913 of 9,131
So much hate for AK, the poor guys. Theyre just trying for a niche. What a niche.

I'll be happy to hear it before I bash it at least.

It's not hate but it seems the AK240 rubs (quite) a few people the wrong way and for many different reasons. A lot of people dislike the pricing policy of the AK240, some (also) have a problem with the design for various reasons and Vinnie has pointed out why, in his opinion, the form factor is less than ideal from a technical standpoint .

iRiver of course will be very happy as their somewhat shrewd attempt for publicity whoring is obviously working and they get a lot of exposure and attention and I wouldn't be surprised if sales for their lesser priced (can't really say more affordable...) offerings would increase over this whole hoopla. In other words they have presented a TOTL device that probably won't sell all that well and doesn't really have to be 'the ultimate' for that reason but helps to further increase the notoriety of A&K/iRiver and might help them to sell quite a few more of their other products that are cheaper to produce and still yield ample profit margins.

That being said, first impressions of how good that thing really is will be quite interesting but no matter how good it might be the outrageous pricing and somewhat controversial design will still make this one a non-starter for many. IMHO.

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #914 of 9,131
I still don't get the comments on the price? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if your not willing to pay for it there is plenty of other DAPs out there cheaper you can buy, why does the price bother you all so much. If you want something badly enough you work. Get the money together and buy it then enjoy it!

Now, if this player is not a huge leap better in sound quality than the current crop of high resolution players then the price complaint is fair enough but very few have heard it yet to be able to say that and certainly I am sure all those complaining about the cost right now.

having said all that I do agree with eek that the manufacturers will charge what the market will pay and if the market is willing to pay then we will continue to see prices rise. Tell me a manufacture that does not do that though? Even the Sony that everyone is using as an axe to grind against AK has increased their prices hugely from when I had my first DAP made by them. Mine cost $85 in 2007

Users who are viewing this thread

Back