The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 13, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #781 of 9,131
  What is sick for me, is that I like the looks. It is really different and seems like it should fit into deep space somewhere. I just wish they had used different dacs but who knows. I look forward to the reviews. The price though, would love to see one in person.

For me the style is...well Picasso and a Klingon walked into a bar............. The 'Klingon" style was designed in the late 80's so from that point of view is dated and nothing new. Pity they did not stay with the restraint and integrity of AK100.

I know aesthetics is subjective but I think it looks like alianware which as an Industrial Designer I think is appealing to adolescents and not real grown up. I am sure they did it to make it appear smaller with the PCB being the full width of the player and they tried to hide the size with this 3D parallelogram device. It has sharp points which will be prone to wear. To be honest I think it is butt ugly and pretentious. Dont like it at all.

I reiterate, just my opinion

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #783 of 9,131
So for something that is meant to be about the best sound they could have gotten rid of the useless large screen and used the real estate for a bigger battery and kept the Wolfsons. I would have happily traded even the screen on my 120 for better performance, after all, do we really need full colour images, I know my screens stays on a few seconds then goes out as I have set it up so.

I think you seriously over estimate the amount of real estate a screen takes up. Having replaced my fair share of screens I can assure you that they are so thin that they won't take away any battery space. The carbon fiber back is probably thicker than the screen.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #785 of 9,131

So for something that is meant to be about the best sound they could have gotten rid of the useless large screen and used the real estate for a bigger battery and kept the Wolfsons. I would have happily traded even the screen on my 120 for better performance, after all, do we really need full colour images, I know my screens stays on a few seconds then goes out as I have set it up so.

I think you seriously over estimate the amount of real estate a screen takes up. Having replaced my fair share of screens I can assure you that they are so thin that they won't take away any battery space. The carbon fiber back is probably thicker than the screen.

Personally, I wouldn't think so much about real estate being used as much as the extra battery it takes to light that bigger screen.  Said battery life could be purposed for "better" DACs instead, perhaps.  Just a thought

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #786 of 9,131

Personally, I wouldn't think so much about real estate being used as much as the extra battery it takes to light that bigger screen.  Said battery life could be purposed for "better" DACs instead, perhaps.  Just a thought

That's an advantage the AK240 has with it's AMOLED screen. AMOLED screens automatically save battery by not turning on the pixels that are black so they don't use up as much battery as a typical LED screen.

More importantly said battery life being saved from a screen half the size is insignificant in comparison to the amount of battery being used by a 'better' DAC, after all just 1 upgraded Wolfson DAC causes the AK120 to lose 2 hours battery life compared to stock. Also consider how most of the time your screen is blank in your pocket not using up any more battery then a screen half its size.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #787 of 9,131
  As far as the AK240 line out implementation, unless there is some internal switching going on (solid state or relay based) that actually bypasses the headphone amp, AND somehow they configure the dac to bypass the input from the digital volume control at the same time, then I suspect that it really is a "pseudo line out."  Meaning the volume is set to max and locked via software, and the signal is still going through the headphone output stage.  I'm sure this will be clarified by A&K at some point.  I'll be taking a peek to see what is going on. 
wink.gif

In the settings menu there's a toggle to enable line out.  Any idea if this does anything to bypass the internal amp???

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #788 of 9,131
This is a VERY interesting piece of information. May be A&K has been smarter than expected on this Line-out issue ! Let's cross fingers ...

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #790 of 9,131
Just on the screen size - some are suggesting iRiver should have stayed with a small screen - the AK240 screen may be marginally bigger than that on the AK100 / AK120, but it's still only a 3.3" screen, so it's a moot point. If you look carefully, and eliminate the bizarre staggered styling, and the relatively large bezel, the screen itself is pretty darned small, just like on the Cowon J3. The squashed isometric illusion design just fools the eye into assuming the screen is much larger than it really is.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #791 of 9,131
The Mail on Sunday Event magazine has a small piece in gadgets unveiled at the CES which includes a comment and picture of the AK240.

"High resolution portable audio played with 256GB on internal memory, dual core processor and 3.31 in touchscreen. Expect stunning sound quality - and a price of around £2,500"

Enjoy

Greenmac

Don't expect £2,500

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #792 of 9,131
With all this fancy new Android wifi stuff they implemented, they really had to put a bigger screen on this thing.
Imagine browsing through Spotify with this semi-small AK-100 screen.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #793 of 9,131
And for me seeking the purist form of sound reproduction in a portable the WiFi, Android large screen is an expensive put off. I mean, come on, is it really necessary in a purist design meant to be about sound quality?
I think it is these features, the chip set and the large screen that is going to save me from making a rash purchase and stick with what I have got. I have already heard from one friend who heard it at vegas that the increase in macro dynamics and soundstage over the 120 is something I can achieve simply by plugging in my 120 to my TU-05.

I think if you like the features this player has got great, enjoy them. I just wish they had brought out a stripped down purist design with small screen, large battery and the two power eating Wolfson chips, now that I would not have been able to resist! As it is some major and expensive features would be just wasted on me with the 240.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back