The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #511 of 9,131
If the AK240 came with a pair of in ear monitors then the price tag would be bit more reasonable(ish)..I mean, you will have to buy a decent pair of in ear monitors for the AK240..then the price gets closer to 4 grand..Astell & Kern is now heading towards bang and olufsen prices!

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #512 of 9,131

My ears are my ears and I want to be immersed in my music when listening to it, I want all the detail but with feeling and I certainly don't need to hear the mouse squeezing out a fart in the corner of the Miles Davis studio recording... 

lol so true

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #513 of 9,131
   but I'm sure they'll get sorted. If JHA don't sort those issues, then sure, I agree - they'll absolutely deserve a good hiding, but that remains to be seen.

That particular thread seems to be populated by some extraordinarily impatient (almost 'spoiled', dare I say it) people, judging by some of the posts there.  But I do take your point, all the same
wink.gif
       To give Sony their due, the ZX1 seems to have had a relatively painless birth/delivery, and I'm glad you've had no nightmares with that purchase.

you did some superb work customer-service wise if you get my drift which was a class above some rushed out condescending video, ever thought of teaching Customer Service as you saved them serious flack... spoiled customers or not.

I'm pretty sensible when it comes to my sobs, having learned through the misery of hi-fi upgradis & supporting West Ham, both expensive hobbies with little reward... in the case of the hammers its pretty futile at this very moment we are losing 5-0... no rewards tonight.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #514 of 9,131

you did some superb work customer-service wise if you get my drift which was a class above some rushed out condescending video, ever thought of teaching Customer Service as you saved them serious flack... spoiled customers or not.

I'm pretty sensible when it comes to my sobs, having learned through the misery of hi-fi upgradis & supporting West Ham, both expensive hobbies with little reward... in the case of the hammers its pretty futile at this very moment we are losing 5-0... no rewards tonight.

My biggest motive was the fact that I used to make bespoke furniture, so I truly understand what a nightmare it can be to produce individual bespoke products at perfect quality, by hand, under tight deadlines. By chance, I also happen to have experience of wet-working carbon fibre, so I understand what an absolute bitch that stuff can be to work - sincerely, I really do not think many people appreciate how challenging that stuff can be to work with. I have no affiliation whatsoever with JHA, but when I saw what a hole they'd unintentionally dug for themselves, it brought memories flooding back to me of similar situations I've personally been in, and, by all means 'shoot me' for saying it, but I did feel compassion/sympathy for them. Their situation wasn't borne out of being disingenuous - they'd just bitten off a bit more than they could chew, and an oversight had occurred. If it had been plain acrylic, which they know like clockwork, then I wouldn't have been so quick to speak. I can see your point that it may have appeared that I had hidden motives but honestly, my only motives were those I have told you about, here.

For those of you planning to purchase the AK240, I do hope it performs every bit as well as you have a right to expect it to. Fortunately, it's not a bespoke item, so things should run smoothly, in terms of iRiver reliably meeting demand.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #516 of 9,131
LOL - without wishing to derail this thread with CIEM talk, I should explain that my 'excuses', as you put it, are actually motivated from a different angle to what you're perceiving. I'm wasn't 'defending' dodgy build quality, in that thread; I was responding to some extremely impatient people (not strangelove or visceriouszero) who were implying that the world was going to end if everything wasn't perfect and immediate in the world of Roxy). My intentions were purely to help slow down that runaway juggernaut, a bit, so as to retain a bit of perspective - that product is individually hand-crafted, oversubscribed, and there will, undoubtedly, be teething problems, but I'm sure they'll get sorted. If JHA don't sort those issues, then sure, I agree - they'll absolutely deserve a good hiding, but that remains to be seen.

That particular thread seems to be populated by some extraordinarily impatient (almost 'spoiled', dare I say it) people, judging by some of the posts there.  But I do take your point, all the same :wink:        To give Sony their due, the ZX1 seems to have had a relatively painless birth/delivery, and I'm glad you've had no nightmares with that purchase.

[rule]

Mython, you need to go back a few years if the posts have not be erased and see the debacle JHA had with their JH3 A. I had no idea until you wrote this that they were up to their usual arrogant tactics when it comes to customers once more with their new fabled IEM.

It will be a cold day in hell that I ever give that company my money and from what your saying here it looks like their arrogance towards customers has not changed one iota. I simply do not know how they stay in business. I have heard their products and they are not all the hype people give them and add to that the cavalier way they treated people with the JH3-A until forced to change and it just firms my thoughts up even more.

Ah, And i have just found the thread and see the replication of what they were like with the JH3A, silence when it comes to problems but give em your money and they communicate! Sheesh!

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #518 of 9,131
I'm aware of the JH3 A debacle, to a degree, albeit not from an intimate perspective.

Just to be clear, I haven't spoken up for JHA, in regard to the Roxannes, in any sense other than to provide a rational (and somewhat sympathetic) explanation of how a resin fingerprint may have occurred on a carbon shell, and an unfortunate (but being quickly rectified) weak plastic nut on the cable CIEM connector. Neither of those things are acceptable on a TOTL CIEM, but they are moving quickly to deal with the nut issue and there is no indication, yet, of any refusal to rectify the aforementioned resin fingerprint, so I feel they should be given a reasonable chance to clear their flood of orders, and then address the issue in their workshop. At no point have I defended any excuses, videos, or attitude or whatever, from Jerry or the company, In fact, if you go through the thread, you'll see I've been rather critical of certain aspects, such as the 3rd-party marketing.

Apologies to any mods or AK240 fans reading this thread. This tangent was not intended, but grew out of the discussion on the legitimacy (or not) of iRiver's marketing policy with the AK240. Since many of us subscribe to numerous Head-fi threads, some cross-referencing of discussion does sometimes occur.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #519 of 9,131
Apologies as well as I don't want to derail this thread so this will be the last on it from me but reading more I see you have been critical and thats great, just reading the thread is enough for me, JH is not a company that is changing its spots any time soon from what I have read so far! Now, back to the 240!

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #521 of 9,131
JH or any other CIEM has the huge responsibility of having every customer different from the previous one. AK simply has to sell the same stuff over and over. Let's not get into a debate now.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #522 of 9,131
Will the 2.5mm balanced out mean it is very hard to test this with majority of iems/CIEMS/phones or are there converters readily available??

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #524 of 9,131
Will the 2.5mm balanced out mean it is very hard to test this with majority of iems/CIEMS/phones or are there converters readily available??

Check post #227 seeteeyou posted a few links
1. If you r HM901 balance card user and have trrs cable or re400b/re600, you just need to spend 2 usd to buy an adapter to change from 3.5 to 2.5mm
2. If you are 4pin iris user, you can build an adapter 4pin iris female to 2.5mm. Shud be around 250hkd

Thats it if you are dead set to test drive the balance mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back