The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 14, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #8,371 of 9,131
Ok thanks (and hi Dinis!) - but if the Gemini only has the following inputs http://www.auralic.com/gemini/#Connections - it looks like i need a balanced out from the ak240 with a USB in into the Gemini. That is different from the balanced cables Astell & Kern sell. Bit confused here...

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #8,372 of 9,131
Ok thanks (and hi Dinis!) - but if the Gemini only has the following inputs http://www.auralic.com/gemini/#Connections - it looks like i need a balanced out from the ak240 with a USB in into the Gemini. That is different from the balanced cables Astell & Kern sell. Bit confused here...
hello again Pieter, i allready see the Aurilac inputs and i might be wrong but the only one that works with the AK240 is the optical (so no DSD) but give it a try and ear for exemple with the Mojo the sound still awsome (when i had the ak240 )to ear DSD i had a cable (a balanced one) that i connect from the ak240 to my amp with xlr , i allready sold it but if you search on ebay you might find another, the AK cables are very expensive (ok is Cristalcable but...)

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #8,373 of 9,131

Yes. I know nothing about the Autelic but looking at the web link you have it seems the Gemini only accepts digital inputs so you are limited to toslink.
The balanced cable is for analogue connection direct to the amp. but the Gemini does not appear to allow this.

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #8,374 of 9,131
I'll have to double check the sample rate color shown by the Hugo tomorrow, but I have my AK240 with DSD files and a loaner Hugo with a Sysconcept optical cable... Pretty sure you can get DSD out of the AK240 toslink.

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #8,376 of 9,131
  I'll have to double check the sample rate color shown by the Hugo tomorrow, but I have my AK240 with DSD files and a loaner Hugo with a Sysconcept optical cable... Pretty sure you can get DSD out of the AK240 toslink.

I highly doubt that, since even AK380 converts DSD to 176,4kHz PCM when optical output is used. they don't do DoP...

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #8,377 of 9,131
IIRC they killed off DSD over optical in a firmware update not that long ago...

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #8,379 of 9,131
  why did they do that, that's a great feature... 

The usual reason why we can't have nice things: Lawyers and licensing issues... 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #8,381 of 9,131
Ok thanks all, no dsd then. Well, could any of you point me to a good optical (=toslink?) that will connect the ak to my gemini? This will save me the hassle of copying over the entire contents of the ak to my synology.

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #8,383 of 9,131
Ok thanks all, no dsd then. Well, could any of you point me to a good optical (=toslink?) that will connect the ak to my gemini? This will save me the hassle of copying over the entire contents of the ak to my synology.

Nope, light turns teal = 24/176 PCM. No DSD via toslink from the AK240. 

Here's what native DSD looks like when the same file is played in Foobar2000:

Look at that pretty white light!

Sorry for the crummy phone pics, but it's getting late, way too late for me to bother with cameras and card readers and Photoshop and all that. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #8,384 of 9,131
Hi all,

I've had my AK240SS for more than a year now and decided to upgrade from 1.18 to 1.33 for the DLNA function. 1.18 sounded richer in the midbass and vocal regions, but 1.33 has a wider presentation with greater emphasis on the highs, but I digress. AK Connect works for controlling playback, but I am getting a lot of static at the beginning and end of my tracks. I also managed to control playback using BubbleUPnP for DLNA/Chromecast, but it had the same problem.

After doing a quick search, I found out that it was an issue present on other DLNA devices, apparently due to FLAC tags such as album art being read as audio data and being rendered as audio. I was wondering if there was an easier way to control my AK without having to take it out of my pocket and instead control everything from my phone? AK has a bluetooth remote but I am not keen on the idea of forking out another $299. Does anyone have any suggestions on how one could use a Bluetooth app simply to press forward, back, and pause? 

It feels as though AK really skimped on coding as Replaygain tagging is also not recognised by the AK240 (don't want to normalise my 24bit flac tracks due to degradation). 

Hope to hear from anyone who has had this figured out!

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #8,385 of 9,131
  Hi all,

I've had my AK240SS for more than a year now and decided to upgrade from 1.18 to 1.33 for the DLNA function. 1.18 sounded richer in the midbass and vocal regions, but 1.33 has a wider presentation with greater emphasis on the highs, but I digress. AK Connect works for controlling playback, but I am getting a lot of static at the beginning and end of my tracks. I also managed to control playback using BubbleUPnP for DLNA/Chromecast, but it had the same problem.

After doing a quick search, I found out that it was an issue present on other DLNA devices, apparently due to FLAC tags such as album art being read as audio data and being rendered as audio. I was wondering if there was an easier way to control my AK without having to take it out of my pocket and instead control everything from my phone? AK has a bluetooth remote but I am not keen on the idea of forking out another $299. Does anyone have any suggestions on how one could use a Bluetooth app simply to press forward, back, and pause? 

It feels as though AK really skimped on coding as Replaygain tagging is also not recognised by the AK240 (don't want to normalise my 24bit flac tracks due to degradation). 

Hope to hear from anyone who has had this figured out!

It sounds like you know more about this than me, but I've never had any troubles using AK Connect with my SS other than gapless playback does not function. Out of habit, I do clean up the tags when I buy a new hi res FLAC album so only the most necessary info is retained.

In regards to the remote, AK used to make a simple bluetooth remote that retailed for about $50. Perhaps they still offer it—I would call iriver directly to see if they still have any in stock.

Alternatively, I have a friend who bought one long time ago for his 240 but he now uses AK Connect. He probably would be interested in selling it. Message me if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back