The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 6, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #6,137 of 9,131

Tyll says that you can't output the DSD digitally (because 240 uses dual DACs to accomplish playback), and Jude says that it must convert it to PCM when it is in a DAC/Amp chain.

I can get the AK240 to work thru the line out using the car's AUX, but not via Bluetooth (any file type). And on a hi-rez file that's well recorded,
it makes my Alpine system sing like an opera star! Didn't know it could sound like that. More bits = incredible improvement.

I have 7 different family devices working fine thru the car's Bluetooth, so I am not sure why this player won't work on any setting.
It pairs just fine, just no sound.

Hi immtbiker,

I'm successfully streaming the AK240 music through bluetooth to my 2 cars I've so far tried - Audi (2009 via Tune2Air dongle connecting to the AMI) and Volvo (2014, built in car bluetooth).

http://www.amazon.com/ViseeO-WMA1000-Tune2Air-Bluetooth-Adaptor/dp/B00BFW23P2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417921065&sr=8-4&keywords=tune2air

The dongle is a godsend and converts older VAG group non-BT cars into BT cars via the AMI. Other similar dongles don't work, this one does, shows what is playing and allows simple control over the music from the car controls.

Actual experience with AK240 (not theory) to date:

1. Doesn't work with DSF files (converted from DFF via DFF2DSF and tagged by Yate).
2. Works with FLAC (converted form WAV via XLD and tagged by Tag and Yate).
3. Sometimes the AK240 says connected but it may not be. Seems to work best if you switch BT off and on and wait till you see the solid colour BT symbol appear on the AK240 task bar.
4. Perhaps turn off other BT devices you have connected with the car e.g. your phone?

Good luck.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #6,139 of 9,131

Hi immtbiker,

I'm successfully streaming the AK240 music through bluetooth to my 2 cars I've so far tried - Audi (2009 via Tune2Air dongle connecting to the AMI) and Volvo (2014, built in car bluetooth).

http://www.amazon.com/ViseeO-WMA1000-Tune2Air-Bluetooth-Adaptor/dp/B00BFW23P2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417921065&sr=8-4&keywords=tune2air

The dongle is a godsend and converts older VAG group non-BT cars into BT cars via the AMI. Other similar dongles don't work, this one does, shows what is playing and allows simple control over the music from the car controls.

Actual experience with AK240 (not theory) to date:

1. Doesn't work with DSF files (converted from DFF via DFF2DSF and tagged by Yate).
2. Works with FLAC (converted form WAV via XLD and tagged by Tag and Yate).
3. Sometimes the AK240 says connected but it may not be. Seems to work best if you switch BT off and on and wait till you see the solid colour BT symbol appear on the AK240 task bar.
4. Perhaps turn off other BT devices you have connected with the car e.g. your phone?

Good luck.

Thanks for the info and your efforts!

I am going to delete my other devices and mess around with it today (the Jets and Giants are going to lose anyway 
mad.gif
).

I am pretty deaf today. I went to a small venue," in your face" blues concert last night to see Popa Chubby, and like the old Maxell commercials, I
was blown away in my chair 
basshead.gif
. Man, that guy can blow your socks off!

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #6,140 of 9,131

Thanks for the info and your efforts!

I am going to delete my other devices and mess around with it today (the Jets and Giants are going to lose anyway 
mad.gif
).

I am pretty deaf today. I went to a small venue," in your face" blues concert last night to see Popa Chubby, and like the old Maxell commercials, I
was blown away in my chair 
basshead.gif
. Man, that guy can blow your socks off!

Was he at BB's?
I saw him in Kailua, Hawaii, the town where the name that must not be spoken has taken his Xmas holiday since he has been president. I don't know of another concert (in my 33 years living here) other than bar bands ever playing in Kailua and this one was at a vacant store turned into a venue for the night.  I'm pretty sure that show has contributed to my permanent tinnitus.  Hey fellow Nu Yawker, take care of your ears man, cause they are the only pair you get.

He was really good too!

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #6,141 of 9,131
The Towne Crier in Beacon, NY.

He is playing BB's later this month, but Manhattan is taboo during December's Holiday Shopping.

3rd row Center at the first Boston Concert in the Nassau Coliseum in the early '80's have already taken care of anything above 14K 
basshead.gif

Sorry for the O.T.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #6,142 of 9,131
I pulled the trigger on the RE 600. I'm gonna wait and see if I'm truly blown away by their sound before I order the adapter. If the single ended sound warrants it, then the $90 adapter won't hurt quite as much. I always feel that premium cables, and in this case adapters, is so much voodoo and hokum but Astell&Kern decided to do their own 2.5mm thing, so what can you do?

How's the synergy between the ak240 and the re600? Do they match up well?

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #6,144 of 9,131
Best price I've seen and heard about. With the 128 card its a no brainer.....I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK240-Mastering-Connection/dp/B00K3SXRNG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=19A32JQ26D6F7ZMTD3D3

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #6,146 of 9,131
How's the synergy between the ak240 and the re600? Do they match up well?

They won't arrive until Tuesday, so I don't yet. They've received very good reviews for their sonic quality but for their build, not so much. At their current sale price, they're one of the cheapest stock balanced IEMs that I've seen. The caveat is that it requires an adapter to make it AK240 friendly. Time will tell, but I'll let you know. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #6,147 of 9,131
Black Friday the AK240 alone was going for $1,999 at Amazon which is still a better than any bundle deals so far..

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #6,148 of 9,131
I found an open box with USA dealer warentee for about
$2040.00
With free shipping. I jumped on that.
And thanks all for suggestions
Al

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #6,149 of 9,131
How many memory slots does the ak240 have. My ak120 had two ??
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back