The Astell & Kern AK120
Oct 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4,096 of 7,071
I'm expecting my rwak120-b mod Monday. Was it a financially sound decision........for me, if I can get daily enjoyment out of it for the next X years, then yes.

Will I still be able to feed my family and have roof over their heads......absolutely. Otherwise it would be a very irresponsible decision.

Would my friends back home understand.....maybe a few but most would think its crazy. Then most have music collection of a dozen or so CDs and have little time for music!!

While without ak120 I am using my iPod 7th gen to intruder with balanced Chris himself pure silver plus gold cable to se535ltd. I didn't get the chance to listen to balanced out with ak120 but am really noticing better separation and detail with just the iPod. I even thought to myself I could live with this and be happy.

But then that old little devil popped up on my shoulder and whispered.....just think what the fully balanced ak120 could sound like!!

That's why I am here....the what ifs/coulds!

Next will be some totl ciem purely for the what could it be like and them hopefully I can sit back, relax and enjoy my free time (when get some) with some great sounds.

Congratulations Kerry!!!

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #4,098 of 7,071
Just curious ... at what volume on the ak120 is it considered too loud ... lets say while driving a JH16 ? Cos I usually listen at about 26-35 depending on the song. And was told by my friend it was too loud when she listened and lowered it to about 22.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #4,099 of 7,071
  Unless the Tera has gone up again in the last five minutes, I think the AK120 is the most 
expensive DAP there is. I would imagine the amp to be at least the equivalent of a $400 portable amp.

I guess if the line out is good, and you have an amp that sounds like $500+ it
might be worth it. But it does seem to defeat the object of the product in the first place.
Or is there something wrong with the AK's amp that makes people want to change it?

I love my GS Voyager, superb amp, but the amp in the HM-801 sounds better to me,
well more different than better, but then again I am an old HIFI nut who thinks that 
most well designed and well built amps sound the same. Or should do.
Amps have a very simple job to do. "A straight wire with volume pot" as someone once said.

I am looking at purchasing the AK120.
Saw this in a recent post and started to wonder. There does seem to be a few who use an external amp, and now with the Red Wine mod....
Does the amp in the AK120 underwhelm?
For the people who own, or who have owned this unit, does it require an amp to sound good?
I am looking for a DAP that will fit into my shirt pocket, so I do not want the extra cables or an external amp forced into my pocket.
Should I be looking at a different product than the AK120?

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #4,100 of 7,071
I just wanted to experience full balanced from input to output. So went with red wine mod and so have to now use amp.

But was very happy with ak120 on own ...... I Just got greedy!

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #4,102 of 7,071
I have my TU-05 amp for home use and the sound quality increases in using it but for out and about I am more than happy with the on-board amp. I was thinking of buying another SR71-B to replace the one I sold to use with the 120 out and about but I have been so happy with the inbuilt amp I feel no need for it. At home where it is quiet I can fully appreciate the sonic gains from having a high quality amp but that is not to negate the 120 in fact quite the opposite as I feel it is such a great source that it is worthy of great amps and headphones. But with my DT1350's or Heaven S's the in built amp is more than up to the task I feel.

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #4,104 of 7,071
  i'm always around 50!!!!
i don't understand this difference

It depends on the IEMs I use. On the Flat 4 Sui and SE5 I would listen at over 40. With the 1Plus2 probably around 35. At 50 it would be too loud for me generally. Unless the songs have high dynamic range.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #4,108 of 7,071

It depends on the IEMs I use. On the Flat 4 Sui and SE5 I would listen at over 40. With the 1Plus2 probably around 35. At 50 it would be too loud for me generally. Unless the songs have high dynamic range.

Yupp totally agree ... i never ever go up to 50 only once when I was listening to a classical piece which had really wide dynamic range. Generally I i listen between 26-35.

i have westone 4R IEM

Wow 50 is really loud .... when i auditioned the 4r i never even went above 40. Makes me really wonder if the difference in shape and size of individuals' ears actually have an effect on perceived loudness.

Anyway thanks a lot. Just wanted to get a sensing to see if i was listening too loud .... cos every time I try to justify to my female friends the worth of the ak120 i would turn the volume up to 30 for them ... and on 3 out of 3 times got scolded crazy for turning it up so high. So was worried i might be listening at levels too high ... haha okok i guess i'm still safe then haha  

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #4,109 of 7,071

.... cos every time I try to justify to my female friends the worth of the ak120...

No, you're doing it all wrong... you just need to:

1. show them the case
2. ask them to smell and touch it
3. tell them it's Buttero, in full Italiano accent 
4. further tell them this:  
Buttero emerges from the sunbeaten hills of Tuscany: the best traditions of Italian shoemaking refined into leather footwear of premium quality. Named for Tuscany's old-time cowboys, the Butterobrand is renowned around the world for its superior leather riding boots. Handmade by craftsmen in Stabbia, Tuscany, Buttero boots honour the Tuscan recipe book with simple, honest, local ingredients. Buttero uses the best local vegetable-tanned leathers, which age beautifully, like the region's wine. The silhouettes benefit from the Italian eye for form, proportion and style. The final result: a fusion of pure rawness and elegance.
5. show them the certificato
6. Oh, don't forget, tell them it's hand made!! 

cool.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #4,110 of 7,071

No, you're doing it all wrong... you just need to:

1. show them the case
2. ask them to smell and touch it
3. tell them it's Buttero, in full Italiano accent 
4. further tell them this:  
Buttero emerges from the sunbeaten hills of Tuscany: the best traditions of Italian shoemaking refined into leather footwear of premium quality. Named for Tuscany's old-time cowboys, the Butterobrand is renowned around the world for its superior leather riding boots. Handmade by craftsmen in Stabbia, Tuscany, Buttero boots honour the Tuscan recipe book with simple, honest, local ingredients. Buttero uses the best local vegetable-tanned leathers, which age beautifully, like the region's wine. The silhouettes benefit from the Italian eye for form, proportion and style. The final result: a fusion of pure rawness and elegance.
5. show them the certificato
6. Oh, don't forget, tell them it's hand made!! 

cool.gif

that really funny ... haha in fact one did mentioned the case looks great ... haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back