The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #3,211 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks for the answer. Breathe now....what cables are you going to try? Is it for your JH13? I am quite tempted with the DHC fusion.

Yes jh13. I just had a guy build something for me. I suspect after this I'll stick with straight copper. I wanted to try a hybrid.

So it played overnight so almost 18 hours. I cycled it a couple more times and did some more serious listening to file types etc. The player itself has lost it's very minor glassyness it had when new. I suspect some may find it slightly bright at first with the wrong phones. I'm no longer aware of it.
bigsmile_face.gif

This player keeps getting better as res goes up. 24 bit is a big deal and 192 can be remarkable with a good file. There's more to this than res but I've felt this way in the past as well. I'd rather listen to a 24./48 file than 16/96 even though the later is a higher bit rate. One other thing that limits the Tera for me even though I know there's more than one way to get results. I'll probably use 24/48 if I ever feel tight for space and 24/192 for my faves, all wav. Stuff I can only get on CD will obviously be 16/44 and what I've done most of my fun listening with so far since I had that on a previous card. 24/192 is tricky depending on the encoding but when right, it's well worth the effort on this player. I guess I won't need a PONO.

To be honest, I didn't expect to see this level of difference between file types on a portable. I hadn't much intention of using 192 files on it but now know that their will be some.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #3,212 of 7,071
Quote:
In fact not at all...I can switch album when I'm using the Tera when driving (feeding music to my car stereo system) and with my eyes wide open for the road.  For other player you have your blind test (eyes off the road ahead) should you need to switch album/song when driving.  

Say you have 20 folders in one card. How the hell do you know which folder you are in? By counting clicks or trial and error?

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3,214 of 7,071
Aug 16, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #3,215 of 7,071
Quote:
Say you have 20 folders in one card. How the hell do you know which folder you are in? By counting clicks or trial and error?

As said, the Tera plays folders in sequence, there is not possible to jump folder and thus there is no trial an error.  How do I know which folder is by listening to the song.  Yes, you are right that if you cannot remember the sequence and you would not know which song it comes next until you've heard the first note.

You may also treat Tera as a grown up iPod shuffle...

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #3,217 of 7,071
Quote:
I just get AK120 yesterday. Transfer speed from PC just get 5mb/sec. That's why i think it's weird.

AK120 transfer speed is usually how much?

Nevermind, I just did a test and I am getting 5mb/s too.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #3,218 of 7,071
Quote:
Quote:

As said, the Tera plays folders in sequence, there is not possible to jump folder and thus there is no trial an error.  How do I know which folder is by listening to the song.  Yes, you are right that if you cannot remember the sequence and you would not know which song it comes next until you've heard the first note.

Except the Shuffle was meant to play a random mix of songs...not an organised way of listening to music; hence shuffle.
Quote:
was designed to be easily loaded with a selection of songs and to play them in random order

Anyway, relating to the Shuffle, is the Tera player compatible with those Apple control thingamabobs that came with this?

Single-click the button to pause.
Single-click and hold the button to hear the title/artist/playlist of the song playing.
Double-click the button to skip to next track.
Double-click and hold the button to fast forward within a track.
Triple-click the button to go back to last track.
Triple-click and hold the button to rewind within a track.
Octuple-click the button to blow-up the device in frustration while trying to interpret your button presses.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #3,220 of 7,071
Quote:

Well for true audiophiles only the sound quality matters. No screen no problem or no pain no gain.
wink_face.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #3,221 of 7,071
Quote:
Well for true audiophiles only the sound quality matters. No screen no problem or no pain no gain.
wink_face.gif

cannot agree, for me the absence of GUI and only wav playback was a big stopper on Terra. i am hard core audiophile and sound is above all but portable DAP is different story and having some sort of GUI is important for me, i do not want memorise in brain my music collection and guess what song i want to play. besides my entire collection is FLAC, some APE and only very few WAV, so another problem.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #3,222 of 7,071
Quote:
Oh.....glad to hear that too. I think my AK120 have a problem.

Thanks......hehe

Yours should be fine.  5mb/s is the low end of USB 2.0 transfer speed.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #3,223 of 7,071
Quote:

cannot agree, for me the absence of GUI and only wav playback was a big stopper on Terra. i am hard core audiophile and sound is above all but portable DAP is different story and having some sort of GUI is important for me, i do not want memorise in brain my music collection and guess what song i want to play. besides my entire collection is FLAC, some APE and only very few WAV, so another problem.

You can't beat this UI, period, probably sound too. Too bad only can I hear how this one sounds with the 3,000,000 uF caps.

Sorry for the off topic.

Now back to the topic. If anyone receives Vinnie's S mod for the AK120, I will be interested to know if there will be any dc offsets immediately before amping, given the 1,000 uf caps used by Vinnie for the mod.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #3,224 of 7,071
Quote:
wink_face.gif

Guess I am not a "true audiophile" then. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,225 of 7,071

Users who are viewing this thread

Back