The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #3,121 of 7,071
Quote:
I thought I would post this here as well as the SE846 thread since it is about how these IEMs pair with the AK120.

[size=9.0pt]Got the SE846 late last week. This is not a review but a quick observation. My main player has been the AK120 and with this pairing I was not happy with the sound. There was extra bass but I thought that was part of the ES846 sound. What really seemed off is that the vocals were harsh in most cases. The vocals were the reason on many songs I would turn the volume down. Since the AK120 has output impedance of 3.3 ohms I thought this could be the source of the issue and I think I was right. I switched to my older RWAK100 which has OI < 1 ohm and the sound is much more balanced. The bass is still strong but not too exaggerated and best of all the vocals are normal again.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]So I think the low impedance of the SE846 is going to make one's choice of sources somewhat limited (I have not had issues with any other IEMs straight out of the AK120 such as the WR4 or IE800).[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Note: I tried the SE846 on the AK120 via ALO MKIII amp and it was better than straight out of the AK120 but not as good as the RWAk100.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]I might have to sell them or get the RWA mod for the AK120.[/size]

This is very helpful as I am looking into the ReMK3-B+ and the SE846 myself.  My UE900 sounded bloated but my SA7 became more balanced with the AK120...  Please let us know if you do decided to sell your SE846 as I bet someone here would like to pick it up on a discount.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #3,123 of 7,071
Quote:
Thats great, thank you! I am looking forward to your thoughts with the PF's though to be truthful those will more likely be used in combination with the amp.

Oh, with the Mahler's, which one is suitable for this player? I see DSF and DFF. I have no idea what the difference is though.

Ian

I am listening to the PF-IX with the AK120 now......I am happy to report that It is mighty fine sounding.

The Mahler Symphony No.1 and No.2 sounds stunning especially the tonality, you definitely won't be guessing what instrument are playing
size]

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #3,124 of 7,071
Gavin, wonderful news, thank you for trying the combination out. Now, what I am really looking forward to is your thoughts with the PF/ASP/120 combo! It will tide me over until my amp is back.. Boy am i missing it!

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #3,125 of 7,071
Quote:
Gavin, wonderful news, thank you for trying the combination out. Now, what I am really looking forward to is your thoughts with the PF/ASP/120 combo! It will tide me over until my amp is back.. Boy am i missing it!

I have just ordered some RCA to 3.5mm I/Cs

Gonna burn in the ASP TU-06 off the desktop rig while my AK120 is sent off to get the S mod from Vinnie
size]

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #3,127 of 7,071
Quote:
Would anyone happen to know a way to switch USB modes (DAC -> Charging/etc)  besides having to unplug and replug in the ak120?

In storage mode you can just safety eject it and it will stay charged; for DAC mode you will have to do inside device manager and remove it.  However, neither is really necessary as it will charge as long as you don't actively use it when pluged in.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #3,128 of 7,071
Thanks for the reply,

I was more interested in being able to easily switch from playing whatevers on the PC, to playing directly off the actual DAP (using it at work). I was tinkering with it, but I think i might be out of luck with the situation.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #3,129 of 7,071
Quote:
I thought I would post this here as well as the SE846 thread since it is about how these IEMs pair with the AK120.

[size=9pt]Got the SE846 late last week. This is not a review but a quick observation. My main player has been the AK120 and with this pairing I was not happy with the sound. There was extra bass but I thought that was part of the ES846 sound. What really seemed off is that the vocals were harsh in most cases. The vocals were the reason on many songs I would turn the volume down. Since the AK120 has output impedance of 3.3 ohms I thought this could be the source of the issue and I think I was right. I switched to my older RWAK100 which has OI < 1 ohm and the sound is much more balanced. The bass is still strong but not too exaggerated and best of all the vocals are normal again.[/size]

[size=9pt]So I think the low impedance of the SE846 is going to make one's choice of sources somewhat limited (I have not had issues with any other IEMs straight out of the AK120 such as the WR4 or IE800).[/size]

[size=9pt]Note: I tried the SE846 on the AK120 via ALO MKIII amp and it was better than straight out of the AK120 but not as good as the RWAk100.[/size]

[size=9pt]I might have to sell them or get the RWA mod for the AK120.[/size]

I don't think it's the output impedance and just a friendly or unfriendly tonal match. Even the AK100 doesn't respond as badly to impedance as expected when measured. http://en.goldenears.net/14001 Circuit design can mitigate some of the normal issues.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #3,130 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

I was more interested in being able to easily switch from playing whatevers on the PC, to playing directly off the actual DAP (using it at work). I was tinkering with it, but I think i might be out of luck with the situation.

Nope, NOT AT ALL.  I am using a small program that you can bind hot key to switch between audio devices.  However, the name excape me at the moment so let me dig around.

Update: found it, it's Soundswitch.  It's free and no install require, just put it on your desktop.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #3,132 of 7,071
Quote:
Just sent my AK120 off to Vinnie for the S-mod.  Does anybody have a spare AK100 or 120 they can lend me for a few days. 
biggrin.gif

I am sure Amazon will lend you one for a one time fee of $1299.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back