The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2,971 of 7,071
Quote:
Also check out some European made amp. Vorzamp, Meier Quickstep, and iQube. To me they are very neutral and uncolored (Vorzamp do have tiny bit coloring).. so if you want to retain the AK120 sound signature I suggest to check out one of those amp 
smile.gif

Quite offtopic but, the difference between vorzamp due and pure is only more expensive model allows you to change bass and treble boost? Apart from these EQ tweaks, do they sound same?

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #2,972 of 7,071
I'm having a blast checking out new, free DSD content through the AK120.  Here's a link in case you haven't seen this:

http://audiogate.bluecoastrecords.com/

After hearing Troy Bunnell's song entitled "One Good Reason" I just had to buy the album.   The tonal quality of his voice and the air and space in the recording are exceptional.  

Also, they are still honoring the 2 for 1 deal....so if you buy one recording you get another.

Needless to say, I have no affiliation with bluecoastrecords or the artist.  Just passing on info.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,973 of 7,071
Yep, only the EQ. It's mechanically switched so there is no difference in sound quality.
Quote:
Quite offtopic but, the difference between vorzamp due and pure is only more expensive model allows you to change bass and treble boost? Apart from these EQ tweaks, do they sound same?

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2,975 of 7,071
I've decided that I want to get an amp to pair with AK120.  I've gotten some great feedback and have narrowed to:

Triad L3
Tralucent T1
RSA Intruder
ALO Continental

I know there is some cost differential and size differential, but I'm really looking for the best sound when I am with my briefcase on an airplane and the like.  So extreme portability is not necessary.  I'll use it with Sennheiser IE800's, HD600's, and Audeze LCD3 (pending).

Any further thoughts before I pull the trigger?  Any others that I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Headamp Pico Power.

That's what I use with it. Two 9v batteries.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,976 of 7,071
Quote:
I've decided that I want to get an amp to pair with AK120.  I've gotten some great feedback and have narrowed to:

Triad L3
Tralucent T1
RSA Intruder
ALO Continental

I know there is some cost differential and size differential, but I'm really looking for the best sound when I am with my briefcase on an airplane and the like.  So extreme portability is not necessary.  I'll use it with Sennheiser IE800's, HD600's, and Audeze LCD3 (pending).

Any further thoughts before I pull the trigger?  Any others that I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

first, thanks a lot for the link to the 3 free DSD download from http://audiogate.bluecoastrecords.com/

then, If I can recommend you a more exotic amp that pair very well with my AK100: The TU-05 from japan.

It is hand made, very few per months per a one guy company. My one is marked N°22 :)
I have a lot of fun with tube rolling to find the best tube combination.
The Internal battery last 7 hours. 
And a nice leather case that has a pocket for the AK100/120 is also available.

here is mine with my AK100 in the front pocket....

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,978 of 7,071
Quote:
Who is talking? I cannot hear the voices of the common folk, sounds like growls to my divine ears.

Hmmm, I have only one response for that.....grrrrrrrrr...whuffff....grrrrrrr. 
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #2,980 of 7,071
Quote:

Triad L3
Tralucent T1
RSA Intruder
ALO Continental

Thanks in advance.

I'd add the RSA SR-71A to your list (unless you're specifically looking for something with a DAC, like the Intruder).  Given that the AK120 is already a DAC, you don't need the DAC function in the amp.  Even Ray will tell you if you don't need the DAC, get the SR-71A over the Intruder.  I've had the SR-71A several times (I keep selling it when I think I no longer need/want an amp...then I keep regretting it and buying another one.)  It's simply the best amp I've ever had (damn it...now I want another one again :).

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,981 of 7,071
 harryb,

Get the Pico Power.  This amp is powerful and sounds very sweet.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,982 of 7,071
I have tried a number of headphone amps with the AK120 but my absolute favourite is the Just Audio AHA Class A.
The fact you can adjust to suit the headphones impedance makes it a great match with IE800, HD800,Grado PS1000.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2,983 of 7,071
I have tried a number of headphone amps with the AK120 but my absolute favourite is the Just Audio AHA Class A.
The fact you can adjust to suit the headphones impedance makes it a great match with IE800, HD800,Grado PS1000.

A bit big for out & about use with the AK120 would you say or not?

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2,985 of 7,071
Quote:

The Triad L3 has a gain switch also. But for the price you pay - the Centrance Hifi-M8 seems to be in the same league (i.e pricewise). It has 3 output impedance settings so might be something to consider also. Any using this pairing with the AK120?

EDIT: Had product names mixed up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back