The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 22, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #2,761 of 7,071
Quote:
Highly Recommended!!!

http://sanfranciscosymphony.downloadsnow.net/mahler-symphony-no-1

http://sanfranciscosymphony.downloadsnow.net/mahler-symphony-no-2

Really showcases how good DSD can sound...................
size]

+1...

http://www.channelclassics.com/fischer-32112.html

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #2,763 of 7,071
Quote:
Any consensus on what iems go best with the 120?

I know, I should read the whole thread, but having an attack of the lazies...

Thanks, guys.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/tralucent-audio-1plus2-iem-appreciation-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642191/ocharaku-flat-4-sui-the-sound-of-tea

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,767 of 7,071
I thought the AK120 was amazing with the UE Capitol Reference Monitors.I'm going Thursday for a fitting!

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #2,768 of 7,071
Quote:
Is this with or without an amp?

You are the first one to mention this IEM with AK120. I dont like external amps (totally repelled by it). I would like to know how AK120 sound with just the W4R/W4.

Thanks

I too hate external amps. I originally had W4R with my AK100 but I thought it was somewhat lacking, especially with bass. Changed to EM64s and just love them to bits. Upgraded to AK120 and am blown away. I did test the W4R on the AK120 and while I thought they sounded a lot better than before I still prefer the sound of the EM64 + AK120.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #2,769 of 7,071
Quote:

You are the first one to mention this IEM with AK120. I dont like external amps (totally repelled by it). I would like to know how AK120 sound with just the W4R/W4.

Thanks

I compared with and without an amp. I personally didn't hear much difference amped vs unamped. I like the AK120 because of its size, amongst other things but the size is really what sets it a part. Having an amp strapped onto the unit might give you better fidelity, but for my uses I typically don't use an external amp. 

Nonetheless, the W4 sounded the best I've hear it. The sound was just more full and the bass was very impressive. It gave the bass more control and weight which I found a bit lacking with my iPod alone. I can't recommend the AK120 if you are going to get it specifically for the W4 because I think that would be complete overkill, but it does sound the best I've heard it. It even sounded better than my brick I used to carry around the office. (IPC+Socket 1+Arrow 4G) 

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,770 of 7,071
Quote:

Thanks

I've got the W4R and enjoy the pairing with the AK120. Don't use external amp. To me the sound is well balanced.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,771 of 7,071
For some reason I never thought to try my W4R's with the AK120 - gave it spin tonight.  I'm very pleasantly surprised.  I agree that it's a balanced sound.  I would just wish for a little more sparkle in the treble - but then again that's my experience with the W4R's in general.  I use Comply Tx-100 tips, which for me have been a nice compromise that gives good isolation, good bass and a very non-fatiguing sound.  I'm also running on 1.32 FW.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2,772 of 7,071
Quote:
For some reason I never thought to try my W4R's with the AK120 - gave it spin tonight.  I'm very pleasantly surprised.  I agree that it's a balanced sound.  I would just wish for a little more sparkle in the treble - but then again that's my experience with the W4R's in general.  I use Comply Tx-100 tips, which for me have been a nice compromise that gives good isolation, good bass and a very non-fatiguing sound.  I'm also running on 1.32 FW.

Would using silicone help to give you that little extra sparkle? I generally find comply tips to take away from sparkle.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2,774 of 7,071
Quote:

Would using silicone help to give you that little extra sparkle? I generally find comply tips to take away from sparkle.

I find that I need the Comply's to tame the W4R's highs for me.  I found the highs a little too much with the silicone - along with weaker bass.  The Comply's have been a compromise.  Really not bad except for that last bit of treble extension.

But I gotta add I'm enjoying the W4R's listening to what I think are some well recorded tracks - Steely Dan Gaucho, Donald Fagen Nightfly.  I'm very pleasantly surprised.  Hopefully it won't keep me from getting to sleep!

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,775 of 7,071
I find that I need the Comply's to tame the W4R's highs for me.  I found the highs a little too much with the silicone - along with weaker bass.  The Comply's have been a compromise.  Really not bad except for that last bit of treble extension.

I wasn't a fan of the silicon tips either. They changed the sound of the W4, took away from what I consider the W4's strengths. It is a compromise, because like yourself, I really like clear and extended highs. I stopped trying to compare them to my higher end experiences because they just won't stack up, but for what I paid and the value they are hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back