The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2,236 of 7,071
...I think Listrid works as a patch on ANY firmware.

Yes, it does because it's a complete FW hex file although the 'boot screen' will still read whatever FW version was in your 120 at the time you load the Listrid hex. 
Just remember you have to rename it from 'AK100.hex' to 'AK120.hex', otherwise no worky. 
I am curious if there is a difference between the 'latest' Listrid 2.0 and the earlier Listrid 1.0. Personally I want the one that was based on the original AK120 FW which is what Listrid did in the beginning. I don't know if 2.0 is or isn't the same SQ as 1.0....does anybody know???

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2,238 of 7,071
I was on 1.00 and wanted to try Listrid because I was not fully satisfied with 1.00. So I switched to 1.21 first to try....yes I did. And honestly I realise I do not hear things as other people. I like 1.21 maybe not better but at least as much as 1.00 at least with the Miracles and Kaede. It sounds cleaner, less warm and bassy. And anyways, the differences are definitely not night and day. I should always experience for myself.

I will try Listrids now...

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2,239 of 7,071
Quote:
I'm in pretty much the same boat - this is extremely good news and my thanks to you good sir for your experimenting
smily_headphones1.gif

It's always fun to try something new, even if I do occasionally let the "magic smoke" out of something by doing it.
eek.gif
(Yep, I've bricked a few gadgets over the years.)

When a manufacturer makes a statement about something that appears to be an arbitrary limit, like a 64GB file system maximum, for example, I just have to try for myself.  Many times, stuff like that is said by someone who simply doesn't know the answer or isn't willing to test limits or ask questions to find out.

I also learned a few other things while experimenting...

1.  If the unit is powered off, charging, the display is on (i.e. the "CHARGING BATTERY" message is displayed), and you tap the top button, it will boot up.  That's a short tap, not a long press, which is what's normally required to boot up.  So, if you're charging it, don't press the top button (yes, you can simply unplug the charger first)!  Why, do you ask?
confused_face_2.gif
  Good question...

2.  Once the unit is booted while charging, it CANNOT be powered down (only the display can be turned off).  Long pressing the top button normally powers down.  However, while charging, long pressing reboots it.  I don't know if rebooting it this way is a normal or abnormal reboot.  If the OS is susceptible to file corruption by abnormal rebooting, then could doing this cause file corruption?

WARNING...editorials follow...

1.  Why isn't the battery charge status shown?  It sure would be nice to know how much longer it has left until a full charge.
2.  Why can't it be powered down while charging?  According to the manual, charging while powered up takes longer.
3.  Come on A&K, update the manual.  It still says that only FAT32 can be used on microSDXC cards.
4.  Bluetooth...according to the manual, bluetooth range "must be within 20cm".  That's 8 inches.  Really?

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,241 of 7,071
So people are using the UM miracles with this? Wouldn't the output impedance be too high for them? They're only 16ohms aren't they? People keep going on about matching these low impedance earphones with daps that have low output impedance. But then you see people happily using them with this dap.

Jul 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #2,247 of 7,071
I'm not sure where I missed it.. But, what does listrid patch do? Does it fix the decoding section and make it better or is it a totally different firmware?

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2,248 of 7,071
Quote:
dsalomon said:

1.  Why isn't the battery charge status shown?  It sure would be nice to know how much longer it has left until a full charge.

This is the only one that really bothers me.  I really like to know the battery status.  Others have said out here that when it is on red, it still will operate for an extremely long time.  I have never run it all the way down but it was on red for quite a while once. Nice if they even had something in the screen display options that you could navigate to just to give a percentage.  That little symbol on the top, well at least it's something.

Otherwise, i am very happy, my best sounding dap for sure and i have a few of 'em.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,249 of 7,071
Have just installed Listrid 2.0 and currently seem to enjoy this more than stock 1.21. With 1.21 I found that everything sounded more 'in your face' whereas with Listrid instruments seemed to sound a little more spread out and relaxed. I also found that the bass with Listrid seemed to be slightly punchier. Another thing I found with 1.21 was that the music seemed a little louder and with some tracks it sounded as if there was a slight hint of distortion which was not found when listening to the AK120 with Listrid installed.

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,250 of 7,071
Quote:

Yes, it does because it's a complete FW hex file although the 'boot screen' will still read whatever FW version was in your 120 at the time you load the Listrid hex.  
Just remember you have to rename it from 'AK100.hex' to 'AK120.hex', otherwise no worky.  
I am curious if there is a difference between the 'latest' Listrid 2.0 and the earlier Listrid 1.0. Personally I want the one that was based on the original AK120 FW which is what Listrid did in the beginning. I don't know if 2.0 is or isn't the same SQ as 1.0....does anybody know???

burtomr I used the first two firmwares you gave me. I'm assuming the very first link is the 2.0 firmware. I don't know what the other version of firmware was that you gave me in the second link but I did not like the sound from that. I reverted back to 1.11 and then put 2.0 over it again and have stuck with that since. I haven't bothered with the last 2 links you gave me (of the 4).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back