The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #2,192 of 7,071
Has anyone tried the DAC function on Win 8?  Mine works fine on my Win 7 PC.  Doesn't work on my Win 8 laptop.  The driver installs properly.  I see the device in the list of playback devices.  When I click test, I see output in the test window.  However, I get no sound through the AK120.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2,195 of 7,071
So if the ODAC's single DAC sounds better than the dual DACs in the AK120, what's the point of having dual DACs? A higher price is a good thing for a company.

That's one persons opinion, and that is coupled with a warm amp and warm headphones. I would venture to say, with other components his results may be different. Like he said, it really comes down to preference. Personally I've heard good Sabre and Wolfson implementation, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2,197 of 7,071
I want to see those pix too :wink:

On another note, I went and updated album artwork today and found somethign interesting: If I use artwork that is greater than 1500x1500 pixels the AK120 would get stuck when scanning the library.

I will send a note through to iRiver; this seems like a bug.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,198 of 7,071
Quote:
I want to see those pix too
wink.gif

On another note, I went and updated album artwork today and found somethign interesting: If I use artwork that is greater than 1500x1500 pixels the AK120 would get stuck when scanning the library.

I will send a note through to iRiver; this seems like a bug.

Why on earth would you use album art that large? 
blink.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,200 of 7,071
Then buy the ODAC is that's the case.
For me AK120 is all I wanted one solution.
Now I am searching for a best closed headphone.

I did the same search half a year ago. Listene to T5P, Sig Pro, etc. But nothing came close to Fostex TH900. I love them. Only "problem" is that they don't seal very well. Only 10-15 dB is my guess. Sig Pro had good seal but was a bit uncomfortable. T5p lacked a bit punch in the bass.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2,201 of 7,071
Quote:
I think you guys misinterpreted my question. I can get whatever DAC/PMP I want with whatever sound it has, but I was asking what the purpose of having a dual DAC is. Evidently you don't need 2 DACs to sound good so why 2?

So you can charge twice as much, probably.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,202 of 7,071
I think you guys misinterpreted my question. I can get whatever DAC/PMP I want with whatever sound it has, but I was asking what the purpose of having a dual DAC is. Evidently you don't need 2 DACs to sound good so why 2?

That....actually makes logical sense. XD

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,204 of 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue

That....actually makes logical sense. XD

Lol.

Listening with 1.00 at my son's karate class (lots if yelling lol) with FT!334s and the soundstage I find is soooo big. Got air and instruments are spaced nicely. And old recording CSN at Woodstock, accoustic too.

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #2,205 of 7,071
Quote:
Really?  That's not what I wanted to hear.  I'm using my 64GB microSDXC cards right out of the box, formatted as exFAT.  I wonder if formatting as FAT32 might overcome that limitation?  I have a microSDXC to SDXC adapter that I used with my iBasso DX-100.  It allowed me to use a 128GB SDXC card in the microSDXC slot.  I'm going to try that with the AK120...just because I'm curious.

Will let you know what happens...

Well, guess what?  (the tension mounts....everyone is wondering... :)

Look at the pic:

That's the same adapter I used with my DX100. So, The AK120 DOES support native (exFAT) 128GB.  I have 2 of those adapters.  So, theoretically, I could put 2 x 128GB SDXC cards in for a total of 320GB storage!!

My next test is to stick about 120GB of music on that 128GB SDXC card, then rescan it in the AK120 and see how well it works.  The picture above is just the empty card (no melting, no smoke, no Sansa Clip :).

I don't plan to use the adapter(s).  However, I'm within about 3GB of running out of space now with 2 x 64GB cards.  So, as I get new music, either I down sample some of my hi-rez music to make more space (which kind of defeats the purpose of having a hi-rez player), or I remove some to make space for new, or I use the adapters.  One of the reasons I sold my DX100 and bought the AK120 was to have something smaller, lighter, and without external connections.  Decisions, decisions.

The bottom line, assuming it works when I test it with the card filled up, is that when 128GB microSDXC cards do come out, they should work in the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back