The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #1,951 of 7,071
hey guys, just now i tried the pro EQ,
what i notice:
1. low : there's a reduce for the low frequency.
2. High and mid : there's a slight gain reduce.

the change at the low frequency makes the humming (surrounding sound) became less,
the bass instrument and the punch still the same, but the lower frequency reduced (i believe its called sub low. am i right?).
because of it, the sound become more tight with a less humming background.
and by generating a tighter sound may emphasis vocal, or other instrument.
it makes the music become more accurate.

sorry for my bad english. >.<
CMIIW
gs1000.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #1,953 of 7,071
Quote:
Yeah I'm really liking the 120... I've probably only spent a couple hours A/Bing the ak120 and the rwa100, but to me, the ak120 takes everything I liked about the 100 and makes it more three dimensional.

Whether its worth the ridiculous premium is entirely up to the buyer.

How much better it can get is up to Vinnie @ Red Wine Audio 
wink_face.gif

So I take your gonna do that new mod and amp it? Is it still possible to use the internal amp section after this mod or no? Purely  it's a LO afterward? Sounds very interesting though but I really want to keep the portability of the player intact.

I agree the price is subjective but IMO it is a sore-point.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,955 of 7,071
Yes. I had that and tried both different cards and internal storage. In end I had to break up into chunks....say 5 albums a time. Re-scan and repeat. Noting which albums each time were copied so when it hung I could isolate the faulty album...turned out to be one song causing it to hang. Managed to successfully scan 5000 odd songs in end!!

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,956 of 7,071
Quote:
Yes. I had that and tried both different cards and internal storage. In end I had to break up into chunks....say 5 albums a time. Re-scan and repeat. Noting which albums each time were copied so when it hung I could isolate the faulty album...turned out to be one song causing it to hang. Managed to successfully scan 5000 odd songs in end!!

I had done the same with AK100 and seems like tags with different characters encoded in different charset are the ones causing issues most of the time. YMMV 

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #1,957 of 7,071
Hi all

So I 've got my unit since 2 days.....
Very happy with it,
Sound is really great. using it with a SM3 v2  from Earsonics.....

but I've got a problem : no GAPLESS with mp3 file..... 
it is gapless with my FLAC file  but not at all with my mp3  :frowning2:

I know I should not use mp3 files with such source but....

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #1,958 of 7,071
Quote:

Quote:

I had done the same with AK100 and seems like tags with different characters encoded in different charset are the ones causing issues most of the time. YMMV 

Thanks for the tips, I finally found the offending song. kerrys30 at least I only had around 4k worth of songs too scan lol

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,959 of 7,071
Quote:
Hi all

Very happy with it,

ops.......... have RWAK with 2.0 now but did not check :frowning2:

will have to try then, mostly have FLACs but a few albums in 320 mp3.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,960 of 7,071
Quote:
Hi all

Very happy with it,

Try re-ripping those problematic MP3 files.  I have had issues with some concert albums that I ripped long time ago with VBR.  Reripping using foobar+lame to VBR0 or CBR320 solved that for me.   Hope this helps.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,961 of 7,071
Quote:

Try re-ripping those problematic MP3 files.  I have had issues with some concert albums that I ripped long time ago with VBR.  Reripping using foobar+lame to VBR0 or CBR320 solved that for me.   Hope this helps.

This time rip them in lossless :wink:.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,962 of 7,071
Quote:

I just rip them from FLAC file  using dbPowerAmp in VBR at maximum quality 
confused_face.gif

edit : btw, I actually still browse my music files using folder  as I still don't update the database.... maybe it is an explanation
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #1,963 of 7,071
This time rip them in lossless :wink:.

Yes. Whenever I rerip these days I'm always going FLAC.

I just rip them from FLAC file  using dbPowerAmp in VBR at maximum quality  :confused_face:

edit : btw, I actually still browse my music files using folder  as I still don't update the database.... maybe it is an explanation :confused_face_2: ...

It seems some VBR algorithm doesn't play well with the AK120 and someone earlier speculate with some vbr AK120 wasn't able to correctly get to the end of file and chopping off a second or so of sound at end of the track and ruined gapless. It was the case for me.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #1,964 of 7,071
I just rip them from FLAC file  using dbPowerAmp in VBR at maximum quality  :confused_face:

edit : btw, I actually still browse my music files using folder  as I still don't update the database.... maybe it is an explanation :confused_face_2: ...

Gapless works for my albums not in db and played via folder navigation fwiw...

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,965 of 7,071
Quote:
It seems some VBR algorithm doesn't play well with the AK120 and someone earlier speculate with some vbr AK120 wasn't able to correctly get to the end of file and chopping off a second or so of sound at end of the track and ruined gapless. It was the case for me.

Sounds exactly like that : I have this effect....... so I try another lame setting ..... will see fb2k parameter....

Thks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back