The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,681 of 7,071
Quote:

The issue at hand is we are using portable amps......not home rigs! And for home rigs on a RCA connector, line level is 2v which neither the AK100 nor the 120 can achieve anyway. 

There is not point spending $400-$1000 buying a decent portable amp and then not use it to it's full potential!

The output level at 100% on the DAP renders no headroom on the volume because it will be too loud at 8am on the pot, when ideally the portable amp performs best at probably 10am -1pm

Ok, firstly please accept my apologies as my technical understanding in this area is vague at best, so I appreciate I may be making presumptions that make little sense.

As I understood it, professional line level signal is considered to be from 1.23v rms upwards, with the AK120 sitting comfortably above that at 1.5v rms. I realise that the snr would be worse than a device at 2v rms, but surely this wouldn't be an unacceptable difference we are talking about?

I am connecting to a desktop amp (Schiit Lyr) and my volume pot sits comfortably at around 11am for my ideal listening when connecting the AK120 at 100% volume, so would this be the correct choice for my set up?

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,682 of 7,071
Quote:

Ok, firstly please accept my apologies as my technical understanding in this area is vague at best, so I appreciate I may be making presumptions that make little sense.

As I understood it, professional line level signal is considered to be from 1.23v rms upwards, with the AK120 sitting comfortably above that at 1.5v rms. I realise that the snr would be worse than a device at 2v rms, but surely this wouldn't be an unacceptable difference we are talking about?

I am connecting to a desktop amp (Schiit Lyr) and my volume pot sits comfortably at around 11am for my ideal listening when connecting the AK120 at 100% volume, so would this be the correct choice for my set up?

Haha!!!  

You are using a Desktop Amp.....yes in the case of an desktop amp you will need to max out the volume.

My Bad.....Sincere apologies
size]

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,683 of 7,071
Quote:

Haha!!!  

You are using a Desktop Amp.....yes in the case of an desktop amp you will need to max out the volume.

My Bad.....Sincere apologies
size]

No need to apologise Gav. My grasp of the science in this area is a little weak, so I stumble around a little when trying to get the best out of these devices. 

I must say though, the gear I have now sounds pretty sweet 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,687 of 7,071
My ak120 will be delivered in 2 days. Can't wait. Anyone know how this pairs with fitear togo 334? I read that a k120 is 3ohms and I am not sure if the impedance for 334 has ever been listed online.

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,688 of 7,071
Got my AK120 now.:wink:
Only have in the house the Westone1 and Korta Kross pro modded.
What IEM/headphones up to £400 shall I get for this? ES10, InEar SD3, Momentum?
Thanks,
Levi
www.youtube.com/safug

Stretch just a little more for the IE800's, they pair beautifully with the AK120.:)

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,690 of 7,071
Quote:
Got my AK120 now.
wink.gif

Only have in the house the Westone1 and Korta Kross pro modded.
What IEM/headphones up to £400 shall I get for this? ES10, InEar SD3, Momentum?
Thanks,
Levi
www.youtube.com/safug

The ES10 sounds great with the AK120.  Very good match.  

As far as adding a portable amp, i match so both are running about 50% or close to it.  I have a friend who is an electrical engineer and his view is that electronics run best at or below 50%.  In addition lowering the volume gives more play in the amp volume control.  Know some of this has been said but my 2 cents......
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,691 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks GSArider,
Will go to a shop in New Malden and try my AK120 with the IE800, heard the SD3 and Momentum have a great synergy also.

When I was speaking to them this morning I did not realise it was such a secret they were taking the AK120 on
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #1,692 of 7,071
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks GSArider,
Will go to a shop in New Malden and try my AK120 with the IE800, heard the SD3 and Momentum have a great synergy also.

When I was speaking to them this morning I did not realise it was such a secret they were taking the AK120 on
wink.gif

I spoke to Phil last week and they were still waiting for the AK120 to be available.But I ended getting it from a different place, with a discount also.
Maybe we should go there together and try different headphones etc..

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #1,694 of 7,071
Tried the ProEQ briefly.  Seems to smooth things out a bit, takes off edges, which can be good or bad.  Maybe drops the treble slightly and brings up bass a bit.  On what i was listening to it helped.  Not my normal music though, Michael Franti and Spearhead from 2004-06-18 in Oregon free download over at Archive.org of course......one of my favorite websites, and yes they do have some free 24 bit but quality on the 24 bit varies.  Otherwise i mainly grab soundboard recordings.  Oooops, rambling, sorry.
redface.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,695 of 7,071
The Momentum's do sound very good with the AK120, my frustration with them is definitely not in their sonic abilities - it's the fit of the earpads - just too small for the average male, hence why I didn't mention them. If your ears are a good fit for them, then all is well...! I'd suggest that a good half an hour test is needed at a minimum and check the fit carefully. I'd just love to use mine more, but can't take more than 15-20 mins at a time with them.

It's why I ended up with a pair of Denon D7100's, which, to my ears, give a good sound and good comfort levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back