The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #976 of 7,071
Quote:
We get this question a lot. If you don't feel it locking into place, then they are not inserted correctly. 

deadhorse.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #977 of 7,071
Quote:
I have the red wine version an it sounds terrible with any headphone. Like I said specs. mean nothing.

I wasn't a fan of the sound as well. I agree with your assessment but I went about it in a more descriptive way of why I didn't like it :).

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #978 of 7,071
Wait a minute is the AK120 compatible with exFAT format? Hmm

Edit: Wow did you guys see this? 64 GB cards in the SDHC format opposed to SDXC. Is that really possible?

http://www.astellnkern.com/

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #981 of 7,071
Quote:
Wait a minute is the AK120 compatible with exFAT format? Hmm

Edit: Wow did you guys see this? 64 GB cards in the SDHC format opposed to SDXC. Is that really possible?

http://www.astellnkern.com/

LOL epic fail... there is no such thing as 64GB SDHC!  iriver Eurpoe or Global better clean up their acts!! 
deadhorse.gif

sd.png
SD standard - Up to 2GB SD memory card using FAT 12 and 16 file systems
sdhc.png
SDHC standard - over 2GB-32GB SDHC memory card using FAT32 file system
sdxc.png
SDXC standard - over 32GB-2TB SDXC memory card using exFAT file system

I think the japanese iriver site is much more informative and accurate in specs and features etc.  It was stated explicitly http://www.iriver.jp/products/product_94.php:

"内蔵64GBの大容量NANDフラッシュに加え、2基のスロットで各最大64GBまでサポートするexFAT対応「デュアルmicroSDXCカードスロット」を搭載。"

Google translate: "It is equipped with exFAT support In addition to the large-capacity NAND flash of "built-in 64GB, support up to 64GB in each slot of 2 based on the" dual microSDXC card slot ".

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #982 of 7,071
Quote:

LOL epic fail... there is no such thing as 64GB SDHC!  iriver Eurpoe or Global better clean up their acts!! 
deadhorse.gif

sd.png
SD standard - Up to 2GB SD memory card using FAT 12 and 16 file systems
sdhc.png
SDHC standard - over 2GB-32GB SDHC memory card using FAT32 file system
sdxc.png
SDXC standard - over 32GB-2TB SDXC memory card using exFAT file system

I think the japanese iriver site is much more informative and accurate in specs and features etc.  It was stated explicitly http://www.iriver.jp/products/product_94.php:

"内蔵64GBの大容量NANDフラッシュに加え、2基のスロットで各最大64GBまでサポートするexFAT対応「デュアルmicroSDXCカードスロット」を搭載。"

Google translate: "It is equipped with exFAT support In addition to the large-capacity NAND flash of "built-in 64GB, support up to 64GB in each slot of 2 based on the" dual microSDXC card slot ".

lol I know that is why I brought it to everyone's attention. Unless they figured out how to expand the capacity of the micro SDHC standard :p. Still there is no confirmation if the unit currently supports exFAT or not. I'd rather not delete one of my cards and format it to exFAT to find out it don't work right and I have to reload a card again to capacity :p. So kkcc are you using the unit with 64 GB cards in exFAT? That is the trick question here. :)

I still don't get why manufacturers tout the full capacities of the memory when not all of it is addressable. I've always found this to be misleading. A certain portion of the memory is always allocated for the file system itself :p.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #983 of 7,071
Quote:
I get 10-12 MB/Sec file transfer speed. 

I'm getting similar speed with exFAT on Sandisk class 10 cards.  I'd say closer to 10 than 12 but depends on how large is the file.  The larger the files the faster I got.

I suspect we'd be able to go to larger cards once available with the AK120 but it would most likely compromise speed and stability of the UI / database scan but should work with Folder browsing.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #984 of 7,071
Quote:

lol I know that is why I brought it to everyone attention. Unless they figured out how to expand the capacity of the micro SDHC standard :p. Still there is no confirmation if the unit currently supports exFAT or not. I'd rather not delete one of my card and format it to exFAT to find out it don't work right and I have to reload a card again to capacity :p.

yup epic fail on iriver's part!!!

Well if you are all set with you cards and have no issue what so ever, it probably isn't worth the effort to reformat and re-scan again. 

But for those who are getting new 64GB cards, don't bother to format it back to FAT32 and suffer a slower transfer speed.  The larger size of the card, the slower it would be in the same format (e.g. 2TB SDXC card will read slower than 64GB SDXC,  similarly 16GB SDHC will read faster than 32GB ones or 64GB XC card that is formatted to FAT32)

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #985 of 7,071
Quote:

yup epic fail on iriver's part!!!

Well if you are all set with you cards and have no issue what so ever, it probably isn't worth the effort to reformat and re-scan again. 

But for those who are getting new 64GB cards, don't bother to format it back to FAT32 and suffer a slower transfer speed.  The larger size of the card, the slower it would be in the same format (e.g. 2TB SDXC card will read slower than 64GB SDXC,  similarly 16GB SDHC will read faster than 32GB ones or 64GB XC card that is formatted to FAT32)

Well since I gather you are saying exFAT works I'm gonna give it a try. If it runs faster that is a plus. Maybe it will get rid of the discrepancies I had mentioned in sound. Honestly if it did I would be thrilled meaning I have more capacity for music (since I'm currently using 32 GB SDHC cards in the AK120 and Studio V :).

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #986 of 7,071
I got a sandisc class 10 SDXC card with exFAT format. For me the 64 GB card and the inbuilt card is more than enough. I might in future just buy a 32 GB SDXC just for jazz music but other than that I honestly think 64+64 is more than enough.

I dont think I will ever use the DSD feature as it is not a true DSD and it will convert to PCM which I believe is re-sample to 24/194 format. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #987 of 7,071
Quote:
I got a sandisc class 10 SDXC card with exFAT format. For me the 64 GB card and the inbuilt card is more than enough. I might in future just buy a 32 GB SDXC just for jazz music but other than that I honestly think 64+64 is more than enough.

I dont think I will ever use the DSD feature as it is not a true DSD and it will convert to PCM which I believe is re-sample to 24/194 format. 

Since I keep all my music in WAV I don't have as much room. Technically not quite enough room using 2 32 GB cards and the entire 64 GBs filled on the internal memory. So hoping this experiment yields some benefit as I'd like the extra capacity :).

Regarding DSD would that allow you to playback SACD rips?

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #988 of 7,071
Since I keep all my music in WAV I don't have as much room. Technically not quite enough room using 2 32 GB cards and the entire 64 GBs filled on the internal memory. So hoping this experiment yields some benefit as I'd like the extra capacity :).

Regarding DSD would that allow you to playback SACD rips?

Yes, provided you succeed in ripping the dsd file out of your sacd which is a PITA..... I think dsd playback (regardless hw or sw decode) is just a marketing gimmick and won't be too useful unless hd music store start selling in dsd

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #989 of 7,071
Quote:
Yes, provided you succeed in ripping the dsd file out of your sacd which is a PITA..... I think dsd playback (regardless hw or sw decode) is just a marketing gimmick and won't be too useful unless hd music store start selling in dsd

I completely agree. There's no easy method of ripping the SACDs other than the PS3 with the older firmware. SACDs are quite good though but I still don't find them on par with 24/96 or 24/192 files that are well mastered/ripped from good equipment. But it's still an improvement over red book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back