The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #916 of 7,071
Quote:
I have to test that. Also dbpower software seems to attach cover to WAV. 

Does it really? I tried and it doesn't seem to show up when I play back the files on Media monkey or load it on my AK120. If you can manage to get it working let me know :).

Regarding the cards I didn't notice it on the AK120 until I tried comparing the internal memory to the 64 GB cards. I played a specific song which is pretty sick regarding bass. One of Undertakers older themes in FLAC. Once I found the song to be noticeably better on the internal memory in comparison I tried comparing the Flac and WAV version on the same SD card. I found the WAV to sound a little better but still didn't sound quite as good as on the internal memory. Then I took out a SD card and put in a 32 GB SDHC card and did the same test. The sound is now on par with the internal memory. As I said earlier I had a similar experience regarding the Studio V. Same with the N1 player but with the N1 player the SD slot produced a lot more noise into the sound using 64 GB cards vs using 32 GB cards.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #917 of 7,071
Quote:
For the AK120 owners. Is your music collection mostly HD or mostly regular CD quality 16/44? Thanks.

I think my HD files accounted not more than 20% of my collection. 

I think more than the format I'm more concerned about the production itself.  HD files are only worth it for those really good production.  This may probably be one of the result of me not being very good at critical or technical listening (if there is such a thing).  For example I'm not finding Daft Punk's RAM sounding better on my HDTrack files than my friend's accuraterip FLACs.  Well, I digress, better leave this topic to the sound forum...

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #918 of 7,071
Quote:
Does it really? I tried and it doesn't seem to show up when I play back the files on Media monkey or load it on my AK120. If you can manage to get it working let me know :).

yes it does, at least it shows up when I play it back on foobar. I will place some files later on AK120 to test it. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #919 of 7,071
Quote:

I think more than the format I'm more concerned about the production itself.  HD files are only worth it for those really good production.  This may probably be one of the result of me not being very good at critical or technical listening (if there is such a thing).  For example I'm not finding Daft Punk's RAM sounding better on my HDTrack files than my friend's accuraterip FLACs.  Well, I digress, better leave this topic to the sound forum...

I really hope the K2 HD gets picked up, I've read a lot of good reviews of it. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #921 of 7,071
Quote:

I have both albums although I didn't try comparing them. But I really did enjoy the 24/88 production. I agree though on some masters the differences aren't so cut and dry and maybe even worse the 16/44 rip. But on the tracks that are mastered really well and ripped correctly they can sound extraordinary.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #923 of 7,071
Quote:
Okay, I spent the day at T.H.E. Show and walked out with the AK120. The A&K and HiFiMan booths were located next to each other and I went back and forth between the two. I thought the UI and design of the AK120 was far more elegant, plus the fact that they couldn't tell me when the 901 would be available sold me on the 120. Hi Rez files sound incredible compared to the same songs (Stan Getz and Revecca Pidgeon) on my iPod Classic/RSA SR 71B/JH16 combo which I brought along with me for comparison. Plus A&K had a show special price which helped.

The UI and built quailty A/B comparison are really going to hurt the HM901 in trade show settings where everyone can only handle the DAPs for a short amount of time.  This is especially obvious if it's the first time someone handle either or both machines.  Now, what about that special price!?

Congratz of hte purchase and looking forward to more impressions and your experience with it and the 71B+JH16!

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #924 of 7,071
Quote:
I think my next upgrade needs to be my ears, or brain, or both
confused_face.gif
.  I honestly cannot differentiate FLAC and WAV in an ABX test, let alone finding difference in card used! 

Who can? lol

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #927 of 7,071
This may be the wrong thread and apologies if is....but on HDTracks.  I see lots of albums shown as downloadable as Audiophile 96kHz/24bit.  But when check the details it says, THIS ALBUM DOWNLOAD FEATURES HIGH RESOLUTION COVER ART ONLY. LINER NOTES ARE NOT AVAILABLE.  So is this actually saying the album and music itself is standard 16/44 and just cover art is HD!!   Sorry if dumb question.....

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #928 of 7,071
Quote:
Quote:
I think my next upgrade needs to be my ears, or brain, or both
confused_face.gif
.  I honestly cannot differentiate FLAC and WAV in an ABX test, let alone finding difference in card used! 

Who can? lol

I think the answer depends on how the resources taken to decode FLAC. FLAC vs WAV on a modern computer is probably a futile attempt to distinguish a difference. I've read that some people prefer WAV on some devices maybe in part to the processing power needed to decode FLAC.

Now 16/44 vs 24/96? I've posted it in the sound science forums and pretty much no one can hear a difference. Why one would put HD tracks on a portable media player is beyond me.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #929 of 7,071
There are 24 bit files for sure it is just unlike the CD where you get booklet with more information they do not provide that. 
Quote:
This may be the wrong thread and apologies if is....but on HDTracks.  I see lots of albums shown as downloadable as Audiophile 96kHz/24bit.  But when check the details it says, THIS ALBUM DOWNLOAD FEATURES HIGH RESOLUTION COVER ART ONLY. LINER NOTES ARE NOT AVAILABLE.  So is this actually saying the album and music itself is standard 16/44 and just cover art is HD!!   Sorry if dumb question.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back