The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #6,226 of 7,071
  Ok so I've now spent a few days with my new AK120 and am extremely happy with it!  It's all that you've all reported it to be - quirks and all!  Most noticeably, flac tags/metadata are a little off.  For example, in album view it displays numerically then starts from Z, A, B, C..... and so on.... why start from Z then ABC....?!  It's fussy with album art too and unfortunately I'm somewhat ocd about that sort of thing so I set about re-tagging album art all weekend!  DOes all this bother me?  Not at all!  I'm loving the sound.  I may need to buy a new pair of over ears though.... I've always been more of an IEM guy and my only overears are a pair of Momentums.  They've never sounded better imo.  Will have a fun time auditioning over the coming weeks!

On the topic of battery life....  please see article linked...  I've pretty much always followed this guide for L-ion batteries....  I'm wondering should I try adopt a similar strategy for my DAP.

http://lifehacker.com/5875162/how-often-should-i-charge-my-gadgets-battery-to-prolong-its-lifespan

thanks for sharing this info regarding battery

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #6,227 of 7,071
I took the plunge... buying a used Rwak120b from a member here...cant wait. Going to use it with my Intruder. Upgrading from ZX1 and X3...should be a very nice upgrade.

Plz update me how the combo sounds with the Ref1/1plus2. If it is a really good combo, may be I will send my AK120 to Vinne.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #6,229 of 7,071

Plz update me how the combo sounds with the Ref1/1plus2. If it is a really good combo, may be I will send my AK120 to Vinne.

The S-mod with 1Plus2 sounds heavenly. I kinda have my doubts the AK240 compares to the S-mod when hearing comments the 901 still beats the 240. At least going from comments of someone I trust, he stated the AK100 S-mod is a clear upgrade to the Hifiman 901 with its best amp card. With the 120 S-mod being significantly better than the 100 S-mod.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #6,230 of 7,071
Hi gang! Question about track sequencing, I have one of these on order but I am now a bit worried about the negative comments regarding the ergonomics. In particular does the AK120 play all the tracks of an album in the correct order as they were on the CD?

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #6,231 of 7,071
  Hi gang! Question about track sequencing, I have one of these on order but I am now a bit worried about the negative comments regarding the ergonomics. In particular does the AK120 play all the tracks of an album in the correct order as they were on the CD?

Haven't tried personally, but I'd say yes.

Provided you enter all the metatags correctly (ie song numbers in sequence etc), turn off the songs shuffle playback (and turn on the gapless playback just to make it smoother ?)

Just select album playback & start from the 1st song :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #6,234 of 7,071
  Opinions please. I'm going to list my AK120. What would you say is a fair price would be for a used, 20 hours, in perfect condition, except for a little rubbed on the case, unit?

IMHO, a used for just 20 hours with a little rub on the case would have a fair selling price like 15% off the original price you purchased it at. How long did you have the unit for other than the running hours you mentioned?

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #6,239 of 7,071

My tracks play in order. Mind you I use the folder option on the home page then navigate to the artist-album-track.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #6,240 of 7,071
Sorry but I didn't ask quite the right question! I found a review on the AK120 that stated that the internal database organised the tracks of an album alphabetically i.e., didn't preserve the running order.

So, for albums where correct running order is essential you have to play it using a playlist.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back