The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #6,211 of 7,071
I'd suggest to lower the charger power to 0.5A and that would help to extend the life of the battery with slower charge

I think what he has shown earlier is that the device appears to have some circuitry regulating the incoming charging current (around 0.3A+ in the case of AK120). Hence whether you use a 0.5A, 1A or 2A charger, it shouldn't matter because the device will still draw ~0.3A.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #6,212 of 7,071
I think what he has shown earlier is that the device appears to have some circuitry regulating the incoming charging current (around 0.3A+ in the case of AK120). Hence whether you use a 0.5A, 1A or 2A charger, it shouldn't matter because the device will still draw ~0.3A.

Thanks for sharing the finding.

However, what I've found was using my mini iPod charger takes much longer to charge when compared to my big iPad charger.  The iPad charger fills the recharge very quickly.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #6,214 of 7,071
Man, I thought AK240 was slow.  AK120 at .3A?  That's super slow.  240 is comparatively slower than my Galaxy S4 out of it's charger and high current Samsung cable will draw close to 2A.  It's fast, gets hot and probably not good for battery longitivity, but easily replaceable.  Cable actually matters with my S4 when it comes to charging as it has been measured at XDA forums using various cables.  Some cables will limit current draw.

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #6,216 of 7,071
Hmm... How about doing an actual measurement of the time for both chargers? I intend to do it with the 3 chargers i have.

Unfortunately I do charging over night or in the office.  Did not really matter how fast it charges to full only to recognised the smaller takes much longer.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #6,217 of 7,071
  Man, I thought AK240 was slow.  AK120 at .3A?  That's super slow.  240 is comparatively slower than my Galaxy S4 out of it's charger and high current Samsung cable will draw close to 2A.  It's fast, gets hot and probably not good for battery longitivity, but easily replaceable.

Get it?  The S4 is a commercial product meant to last a little over a year, until the S5 comes out, in a very competitive market (cell phones), so just think how the product designers stressed over their 'charging time' vs the competition?

They obviously chose to fry the battery vs. longevity...
cool.gif

AK went a more conservative route since they do not want to be replacing batteries under warranty which would require a return to the factory. 

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,218 of 7,071
  Man, I thought AK240 was slow.  AK120 at .3A?  That's super slow.  240 is comparatively slower than my Galaxy S4 out of it's charger and high current Samsung cable will draw close to 2A.  It's fast, gets hot and probably not good for battery longitivity, but easily replaceable.  Cable actually matters with my S4 when it comes to charging as it has been measured at XDA forums using various cables.  Some cables will limit current draw.

Yup, I used the AK120 till flat yest, started charging at 415pm and only was full at approx. 1030pm. 6 hrs 15 mins for mine. Yes you are right, some cables limit current draw thats why I always use aftermarket higher quality cables. I read somewhere that slow charging is not only good for battery longevity but also the battery will last longer per charge so you can use it longer in between charges.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #6,221 of 7,071
  Yup, I used the AK120 till flat yest, started charging at 415pm and only was full at approx. 1030pm. 6 hrs 15 mins for mine. Yes you are right, some cables limit current draw thats why I always use aftermarket higher quality cables. I read somewhere that slow charging is not only good for battery longevity but also the battery will last longer per charge so you can use it longer in between charges.

This is not very intuitive.  If it's fully charged, there should be no difference how it was charged for the time of the charges to drain.  Maybe there is an aspect that I'm not aware of?

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #6,222 of 7,071

Get it?  The S4 is a commercial product meant to last a little over a year, until the S5 comes out, in a very competitive market (cell phones), so just think how the product designers stressed over their 'charging time' vs the competition?

They obviously chose to fry the battery vs. longevity...
cool.gif

AK went a more conservative route since they do not want to be replacing batteries under warranty which would require a return to the factory. 

This could be said for Apple products also.  The unibody is difficult to take apart so I'm guessing the charge rate lower.  Also charge time depend on battery capacity.  S4 has larger capacity since it's screen uses up so much power.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #6,223 of 7,071
  This is not very intuitive.  If it's fully charged, there should be no difference how it was charged for the time of the charges to drain.  Maybe there is an aspect that I'm not aware of?

Frankly Im not too sure but I did remember reading this somewhere though the website was also written by some hobbyist for remote control cars and its rechargeable batteries. Anyways the long recharging time is a very good excuse to own more than one DAP lol.

My Fiio X5 also takes hours to recharge so its good to have a few DAPs to rotate when one or two is being recharged lol

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6,224 of 7,071

Battery capacity reducing over each charge and thus regardless whether it's fully charge or not, an old battery (rechargeable) has lower capacity over a brand new one and thus with less playtime.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #6,225 of 7,071
Ok so I've now spent a few days with my new AK120 and am extremely happy with it!  It's all that you've all reported it to be - quirks and all!  Most noticeably, flac tags/metadata are a little off.  For example, in album view it displays numerically then starts from Z, A, B, C..... and so on.... why start from Z then ABC....?!  It's fussy with album art too and unfortunately I'm somewhat ocd about that sort of thing so I set about re-tagging album art all weekend!  DOes all this bother me?  Not at all!  I'm loving the sound.  I may need to buy a new pair of over ears though.... I've always been more of an IEM guy and my only overears are a pair of Momentums.  They've never sounded better imo.  Will have a fun time auditioning over the coming weeks!

On the topic of battery life....  please see article linked...  I've pretty much always followed this guide for L-ion batteries....  I'm wondering should I try adopt a similar strategy for my DAP.

http://lifehacker.com/5875162/how-often-should-i-charge-my-gadgets-battery-to-prolong-its-lifespan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back